Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Downpipe test = Zero gain

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:04 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downpipe test = Zero gain

Hey, we just did a quick test to confirm my thoughts. We made a nice 3" downpipe and added it to our car. The result? Zero gains, that's right....zero. We did a bunch of pulls, reset the ECU, tried everything and the runs just laid over one another. We'll post some pics of the stock downpipe to show how good it is. We are working on something that will make a difference though.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AMS
Hey, we just did a quick test to confirm my thoughts. We made a nice 3" downpipe and added it to our car. The result? Zero gains, that's right....zero. We did a bunch of pulls, reset the ECU, tried everything and the runs just laid over one another. We'll post some pics of the stock downpipe to show how good it is. We are working on something that will make a difference though.
Thanks for the tests AMS!
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! The stock downpipe is very well designed
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

sick, that mean no upgrading downpipe = more $$ for other mods.

nebo
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:47 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Nice. Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info, and especially thanks for your honesty guys!
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
There's not much to the stock downpipe. It's like 2' long with one or two slight bends in it. I think I measured about 2 3/8" I.D. I think once someone comes out with a new exhaust elbow with a bigger outlet (3" vs. 2 1/4"), you'll see some gains from a new DP.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Why is is that turbo trix got gains from their's then? They went from a catback to turbo back and gained like 15-20 hp. Part of it was that the cat was also removed, but they are at a 106 hp gains with the stock front mount and no tune, you guys are still at 87. AMS, maybe you guy need to make a lower ic pipe, because turbo trix made lots of power from theirs apparently. 72 HP just from the upper ic pipe, lower ic pipe, and intake kit with an mbc. STOCK INTERCOOLER, EXHAUST, AND NO TUNE. Do you guys have a lower ic pipe in the works? Headers? O2 housing? Let us know. Thanks.
They removed the cat. I don't know if AMS has done that yet.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why is is that turbo trix got gains from their's then? They went from a catback to turbo back and gained like 15-20 hp. Part of it was that the cat was also removed, but they are at a 106 hp gains with the stock front mount and no tune, you guys are still at 87. AMS, maybe you guy need to make a lower ic pipe, because turbo trix made lots of power from theirs apparently. 72 HP just from the upper ic pipe, lower ic pipe, and intake kit with an mbc. STOCK INTERCOOLER, EXHAUST, AND NO TUNE. Do you guys have a lower ic pipe in the works? Headers? O2 housing? Let us know. Thanks.
Pay a little closer attention to those graphs. The correction factors are different on the two runs being compared to show a 106HP gain, they are at uncorrected and we are at SAE. I can put up a low reading stock pull on our X that read near 220whp and a high reading graph that was over 330 but they are not consistent as they are both off the average readings that we got that day. Technically with that in mind we made over 110 whp over stock...but posting that would not be real world gains.

We took a consistent stock pull using the same correction factor and compared it to a consistent pull after our part installs using the same correction factor. That is how we came to our HP gain. What we wanted to show you was what these parts would give you in an every day scenario.

FYI removing the cat on the X is good for 15 whp by itself..that is where there power increase came from.

I will agree in that we have not put on a lower IC pipe on the car yet. Based on the numbers from the upper I would expect maybe another 5 more peak whp or a hair more.

We are not taking shots at anyone, its just very important you pay close attention to dyno graphs as its very easy to get caught up in numbers.

Eric

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Feb 16, 2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 34Turbo
They removed the cat. I don't know if AMS has done that yet.
We have removed the cat but please read the above post. It might help make sense of it a bit
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
+1
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Comparing dyno numbers from one dyno to another is silly...even if they are the same brand. Two different cars too!
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by AMS
We are working on something that will make a difference though.
So...errrr....Martin, how's the O2 housing coming

*just a semi-educated guess*
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:37 PM
Former Sponsor

well, the fact that tey are two different x's is not a bit deal. Every car makes a little bit different peak numbers, but it's usually a maximum of like 5 hp. It's not like they were two different makes/models. And yes, different dynos read differently, but it's the gains that I look at, not the base numbers and the upgraded numbers. Gains will be pretty consistent from dyno to dyno, that's why I cited that as an example. And eric, are you saying that turbo trix is deceiving people with false gains? I have a hard time believing that. Maybe the new correction factor was what they found to be a more realistic number. Just a thought. But I don't think that there's any evidence that they just posted the lowest stock pull and then posted the highest pull with the mods. Keith even said that with the cat in, that the pulls were inconsistent once the cat got hot, but that the car makes consistent pulls all day with these new numbers now that the cat is gone. Either way, I am a huge fan of AMS' work, and I'm only trying to stir up that competitive spirit to make sure that everyone is comparing results to achieve the best possible parts.
For reference on Monday we will post all our stock Runs to show you how much the car varries on the Dyno. We have nothing to hide and as shop we will NEVER deceive anyone on power gains from our product. On Monday we will go through our dynos of the car and show a 100HP gain but like I said earlier. That is not real world Gains. What would you rather see... what you will make with our parts... or just some numbers

Again this is not a shot at Turbo Trix or anyone. Dyno's are a very sensitive subject and we just want to be as forthcoming as possible.

Eric
Old Feb 15, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PDXEvo
No kidding. I think these guys deserve a lot of credit. They could build a downpipe and call it upgrade but they are being very honest up front and letting us know that they haven't make power with their Downpipe.

Thanks AMS!

Carlos

Quick Reply: Downpipe test = Zero gain