Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is a turbo timer really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo timers are not needed.. but, in the winter its nice to be able to warm your car up by starting it, setting the TT to 5 or 10mins and take the key out, lock the doors and go back inside.. i really hate having to sit in a cold car and WAIT for it to warm up before i start driving. the TT helps and its also nice to know that youre not leaving your car running with the keys in it!
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

uhm, thats what a remote start is for .....i have one and its the best!! start the car while i'm gettin dressed, by time i go out its nice and toasty.!! remote start FTW!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it would not hurt to get one better safe then sorry. And about using it in the winter to warm up the car, you can do it just to warm up the engine period, dont really want to drive you car with the engine cold.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chamama
Yes, but also the other side is, if you leave while the car is running, security people might think something is fishy. As I had been asked once by a security personnel why I am leaving my car running. Now, I don't use the TT anymore. Better a stalker than a terrorist.

funny story. I was in a underground parking lot at a mall about 5-6 years ago back when I had a se-r with a bluebird swap. The car was equipped with one of those old school greddy tt's and as my friend and I were heading towards the mall we both see a security guard drivin around my car in a golf cart while my car was still on. So we both decided to hide around a pillar and see if he'd stick around when the car shut off with nobody inside. Well , he gets on his radio and about no more than a minute later the car shuts off and the guy is looking at the car dumbfounded, lookin inside, shakin his head like WTF!!!?? I think at one point he checked underneath the car.....we both just left crackin up!

oh INMHO, a turbo timer is unnecessary unless you're a leadfoot. I had one for a few months in my car, took it out and sold it

Last edited by theEVOdream; Mar 12, 2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's recommended on Mac Trucks to let it idle for a few minutes after you drive them hard. Of course, they are diesel and have huge **** turbos but the principal is still the same I think.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

i use mine to warm up my car more than anything. start it up, set the TT to 8 or 10 mins.... and lock the doors and go back inside. and then whenever i hear the car shut off.... that means its warm and its time to go! its nice if you dont like sitting in a cold car, waiting for it to warm up.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ thats also terrible for your car and it wastes gas.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
^ thats also terrible for your car and it wastes gas.
why is it terrible? and gas? between the fuel pump and injectors and my love for boost.... wasted gas is a fact of life.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

I'd rather not worry about my driving style before i shut the car off and just let the auto-timer do it's thing. I've also never been hassled about it so it's never been an issue. On the other hand if i needed to boost to get, lets say, across the street to my destination....ah whatever. It just seems easier to not worry about it.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

I can't believe no one has mentioned the most important reason why TT's aren't necessary anymore (unless I missed it) ... almost all modern turbos (especially in OEM applications) are water-cooled in addition to oil. It's no longer necessary to worry about leaving the car running or not boosting before shutdown because the water line continues to circulate after shutdown (as the water evaporates and more flows in), keeping the turbo from reaching the temps where oil coking could occur. You can often hear the water dripping and sizzling a bit in the system after shutdown (at least that was true in my IX, I can only assume it's still true in the X).
Old Mar 12, 2008, 04:43 PM
Former Sponsor

not if you have a tad bit of patience
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

just sit in the car for 10-60seconds depending on how hard you just drove it before shutting the car off
Old Jun 19, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

For an Evo noob like me, I just sit in the car for a good minute and enjoy the comfy recaros, lol!
Old Jun 19, 2009, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

U guys know that some remote starters have a "turbo timer" feature right? I use my TT regardless
Old Jun 19, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

i remember a while back i read somewhere that the apexi turbo timer causes some piston ring failure...not sure if the car was ran really hard and did not let idle long enough or not....if i search enough...i'll probably find the thread

Quick Reply: Is a turbo timer really necessary?