Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is a turbo timer really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freddiemac
completely unnecessary if you're using synthetics. A friend who used to work at garrett has performed many tests while there, and he said that synthetics does not gunk up the bearings at all.

Did he record the milage? How long did he actually work there, 5 years / 60,000 miles? I dont think he would know or perform tests for this period of time.

It's is good for LONG-Term reliability...
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Agreed!
Originally Posted by travman
Just dont boost hard prior to parking and you can park and shut it right off - no need to let it sit and idle.

Only time you really need let the car idle for a minute is if you boost hard and then park right away.

So no a turbo timer is not necessary - its more of a oh look i have a turbo timer!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:51 PM

Been reading thru the posts here in this peaple saying Tt are needed are kinda true but what is needed is a cool down period for the no matter how hard the engine is run I have been a dealer tech for abt 11 years in the dealer ship we replace turbos at a rate of 2 a day all turbos fail due to Bering shut down with at high temps what happens at high temps is two things 1 thing that happens is coking were heats to a point to were it turns to a solid blocks the oil passage which when you come back start it the blockage has to clear which cause low lube failures of the shaft and bearings the other thing that happens is turbo do not have seals that hold the oil from going out the exhaust or into the intake what seals is the fit of the shaft to the outer bushings a small amount oil is seeped out to lubricate this when cut off to hot the lubricating oil there is burnt away the cause a failure at start up of the bushings fitment that's where get oil coming out exhaust or into intake tts are not required but cool down is biggest problem we see in the dealer are people doing mods to gain horse power and not doing cool downs when increasing horse power in any way the exhaust temps rise I have recommended timers to alot of people but mostly when engine has been modified I do not recommend cheap ones buy a fully auto one those are most secondly needed
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Its not necessary just saves you alot of time unless you do what I do..sit in it n leave it running for like 2-3 mins..lol..so its up to you.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:59 PM

Oh yeah to the guy who if synthetic and change regular you are all synthetic and non sythetic oil breaks down the same way at high temps and to those who wonder why timers are not on them factory they are no putting hest lights in the cars i.e high exhaust system temp so the driver knows a cool down needs to be allowed
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:46 AM

Of all the posts, I've only seen one that mentioned the fact about water cooled turbos not needing it. The water cooling was not done by accident, it's there so A) we dont need tt's and B) it will maintain a cooler operating temp and get out of the extreme range quicker. So, really the only reason to have a tt on a car with a water cooled turbo is, umm, maybe if you have anti-lag installed... But if you've done that to the car, then you prolly don't need to come to these forums for our advice.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:00 AM

why is a cool down needed? high exhaust system temp can be fixed otherwise as well right ?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo Timers are a dime a dozen. Get one, get it installed and have some peace of mind your not doing damage. Who gives a **** if you get asked a few questions about your car being left running. I always just say it will turn off on its own and thats that. No need to be freaked out over it and really it is a very easy install. Too easy of a thing to get worked up over.

If you never boost your car then dont worry about it. If you never drive your car in a spirited fashion dont worry about it.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

I know a girl who had an MR2 turbo and she thought her TT was running, when in fact she left the keys in the car... went the WHOLE DAY, burnt about 1/4 a tank of gas...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like a few girls i know would do the same as above. haha
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_timer
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
^ thats also terrible for your car and it wastes gas.
Thank you! Doesn't make any sense to me why a person would sit in a cold car for it to warm up rather than start driving it. It will warm up as they drive. I guess some people doesn't want to do their part in conserving energy and then cry when the price of fuel goes up. A waste of fuel.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by juneil
Thank you! Doesn't make any sense to me why a person would sit in a cold car for it to warm up rather than start driving it. It will warm up as they drive. I guess some people doesn't want to do their part in conserving energy and then cry when the price of fuel goes up.
This doesn't even make sense. People idling their cars for 4 minutes is completely irrelevant to rising gas prices. Not only that, but the people in this thread with a turbo timer have not even "cried" about the prices of gas and rather shrugged the situation off.
Many other factors play into warming your car up in the winter as well. Here in Colorado, during the winter, I've woken up to a sheet of frost on my cars everyday for the last two months. Scraping it off only works to an extent, and then we have the air condensing and freezing on the windshield again. Having the heater warm when you start driving only makes it that much more safe. Additionally. putting my extremely cold and brittle engine internals under load right away is not something I prefer to do.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolvedVIII
Thread title says it all, is a turbo timer really necessary?
yes just as a blue neon under the car. Even belongs to the a same category. The must have upgrade for daily driven car.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by stella431
why is a cool down needed? high exhaust system temp can be fixed otherwise as well right ?
cool down usually needs when you drove your car to the red hot state. So when you immediately stop without cooling down, your turbo can heat up the engine, but the fans will help for cooling down that, the brakes etc cant cool them self down so as other parts. but the brakes are the most noticeable for untrained people. since they can seize(weld on the rotor) and warp etc. And so on so forth.
It is a miss conception cool down you need because you have turbo only. If you need a cool down, and you have a turbo timer , and you think you are fine, you are far from the truth by a mile...

When you do a proper cool down, then certainly you don't need a turbo timer, there for usually who has a turbo timer , doesn't understand the concept to cool down a car properly. Hence show of lack of understanding the whole cool down procedure.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 22, 2012 at 04:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Is a turbo timer really necessary?