Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is a turbo timer really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:23 PM
Maz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets make this simple. (yes its been a longtime i know bla bla bla) Would it hurt to have a TT yes or no? Simple
Old Aug 6, 2012, 05:59 PM

TT = laziness

I have an oil temp guage and the normal operating oil temp I see typically is anywhere from 190 to 210 degrees F. On a really hot day Ill see 220 deg F. I believe the car is in closedloop or warmed up at about 180 because you can feel the car is running much smoother.

I ALWAYS sit and idle my car until the temp goes down to 180-190 deg F. Screw the TT, I always leave early enough to allow for the cool down period. If Im late to work...dont care...Ill still sit and idle. I LOVE MY EVO.

Tip: To accelerate cool down, turn your AC to full AUTO...the temp, fan...everything. This will turn on BOTH radiator cooling fans to HIGH SPEED...you can literally watch the needle on your oil temp guage drop...pretty quickly too! I cool down from 200 to 180 within 3-4 minutes. To cool down even faster...open your hood...youll be amazed how fast itll cool down.

So now...there is no excuse for bearing failure due to oil coking!

Last edited by insmniac95; Aug 6, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Maz
Lets make this simple. (yes its been a longtime i know bla bla bla) Would it hurt to have a TT yes or no? Simple

no it doesnt hurt for sure.

Now talking about track events and so:
Not cooling down the entire car properly, can do damages like warping your rotor etc
So when you do a proper cool down the TT is not neccesry, ergo doesnt do anything really.
If doenst do anything , then cant really hurt anything, unless you thinking about money you spend for nothing

Normal DD your car will never go that high temperature when you need to worry about your turbo sizing on you. Other then that, you should cool down the entire car properly.
And this is true even for a N/A cars too.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Just A little info the EVO X comes with a oil cooler stock on both the GSR and MR so a TT is not needed for off track or rally use - I.E. driving to work, little high way spints, or even long drives.
Normal driving or even spirited is not enough to create enough heat for cook off add in the fact all X have oil coolers I.E. next to the pass fog light the little IC behind the chicken wire.
It is only needed if you like ghosting your car when you park or to warm it like others do other then that its a waiste of time and money for EVO X owners.

Now other turbo cars like older EVO, STI, Supra, older GTR, ect benefit from a TT Because they have no stock oil cooler unit so there is some what a need for when they drive there cars hard.
But if you don't dog your car out even with out a oil cooler you don't need one thats why they do not come with it.

Side not when all those cook of cases came out for turbo cars the oil they had back then is no where near as good and clean as the oils we have today.

Don't buy some thing you don't really need instead spend that $100 on parts that will really affect your car.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 03:00 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most everybody has a good point either way. Oil coolers and water cooled turbos help to keep from cooking oil in your turbo, but they don't prevent it. A timer definitely doesn't hurt anything and it comes down to whether you want it or not. Either way, it is a good idea to let the oil cool down before you shut the car off if you're driving hard, whether you wait in the car or use a turbo timer.

-Zach

Last edited by RallySport Direct; Aug 8, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hackerrei
Just A little info the EVO X comes with a oil cooler stock on both the GSR and MR so a TT is not needed for off track or rally use - I.E. driving to work, little high way spints, or even long drives.
Normal driving or even spirited is not enough to create enough heat for cook off add in the fact all X have oil coolers I.E. next to the pass fog light the little IC behind the chicken wire.
It is only needed if you like ghosting your car when you park or to warm it like others do other then that its a waiste of time and money for EVO X owners.

Now other turbo cars like older EVO, STI, Supra, older GTR, ect benefit from a TT Because they have no stock oil cooler unit so there is some what a need for when they drive there cars hard.
But if you don't dog your car out even with out a oil cooler you don't need one thats why they do not come with it.

Side not when all those cook of cases came out for turbo cars the oil they had back then is no where near as good and clean as the oils we have today.

Don't buy some thing you don't really need instead spend that $100 on parts that will really affect your car.

pretty sure the older Evos had oil coolers. I know for a fact the 7 and 8 have oil coolers.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:15 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Macky
pretty sure the older Evos had oil coolers. I know for a fact the 7 and 8 have oil coolers.
To my knowledge all of the Evolutions 1-10 have an oil coolers on them. The Evolution 4-9 will use basically the same oil cooler and have very similar drive train setups with minor updates and changes as they progressed through the years and models.

Thanks,
Dallin
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RallySport Direct
To my knowledge all of the Evolutions 1-10 have an oil coolers on them. The Evolution 4-9 will use basically the same oil cooler and have very similar drive train setups with minor updates and changes as they progressed through the years and models.

Thanks,
Dallin
thats what I thought so too. I remember seeing old cutout pictures of Evo IIIs and IVs and they have the oil cooler in pretty much the same location as the stock VIII and IX location - just ahead of the front passenger tire.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:54 PM

i wud let the car run for a little bit anyway, its not a bad idea to let the car cool down b4 u turn it off
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

A simple no is the anwser :O