Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is a turbo timer really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:08 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a turbo timer really necessary?

Thread title says it all, is a turbo timer really necessary?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

No, it's not. It sure makes it much more convenient for daily driving though. Unless you like sitting in your car like a stalker when you pull into a parking lot haha.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 01:17 AM
Account Disabled

I know what purpose a turbo timer serves, but is that purpose really necessary? Is it all that important to cool down the turbo? You would think if it was that beneficial it would come on the car from the factory.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dave12285
No, it's not. It sure makes it much more convenient for daily driving though. Unless you like sitting in your car like a stalker when you pull into a parking lot haha.
Yes, but also the other side is, if you leave while the car is running, security people might think something is fishy. As I had been asked once by a security personnel why I am leaving my car running. Now, I don't use the TT anymore. Better a stalker than a terrorist.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 03:45 AM

completely unnecessary if you're using synthetics. A friend who used to work at garrett has performed many tests while there, and he said that synthetics does not gunk up the bearings at all.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Just dont boost hard prior to parking and you can park and shut it right off - no need to let it sit and idle.

Only time you really need let the car idle for a minute is if you boost hard and then park right away.

So no a turbo timer is not necessary - its more of a oh look i have a turbo timer!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by travman
Just dont boost hard prior to parking and you can park and shut it right off - no need to let it sit and idle.

Only time you really need let the car idle for a minute is if you boost hard and then park right away.

So no a turbo timer is not necessary - its more of a oh look i have a turbo timer!
exatly...
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

nope, next
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:27 PM

hahah i rather be safe then sorry 30 seconds is hurting my gas consumption and there only like 50 dollars
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

I have one and I don't use mine either anymore........ Pretty funny My dealer recommended me to install it; so I did.....LOL ( waste of money ).
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it was required, it would have it stock. Perfect example, the SST clutches will require the car to run for a little while after they are shut off to properly disengage. If the turbo needed a timer, they would have installed one from the factory.

I never got one for my VIII, and I never used an Oil catch can. Never had any issues, car always ran fine without those so called "required" components.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 05:17 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
In two words, heck no.
I've had 6 turbo cars and never had one on any of them. The cons outweigh the pros IMO.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 05:19 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EvolvedVIII
Thread title says it all, is a turbo timer really necessary?
NO
Old Feb 27, 2008, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your owners manual. I know that my 95 GSX's owners manual specifically stated that you need let the car idle for 1 minute before turing off the car to help the life of the turbo. Please don't ask me to send proof cause that car has been traded.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:05 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quoted from Wikipedia:

A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a pre-specified period of time in order to automatically execute the cool-down period required to prevent premature turbo wear and failure. After a period of driving when a turbocharger has been working hard, it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for a period of time, allowing the compressor assembly to cool from the lower gas temperatures in both the exhaust and intake tracts. At the same time the lubricating oil from the engine is able to circulate properly so the turbine won't burn the lubricating oil that would otherwise be trapped within the charger with the turbine rotating at high speed. With regard to modern automotive turbochargers, the need for a turbo timer can be eliminated by simply ensuring the car does not produce any 'boost' (during driving) for several minutes prior to the ignition being shut off

Quick Reply: Is a turbo timer really necessary?