Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Too sensitive of a throttle??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2008, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too sensitive of a throttle??

I have noticed that when I hardly even touch the gas pedal in neutral with the car stopped, my rpms will rise to almost 2k and hang there for a second, before coming back down slowly. I am getting used to it but I have to start releasing the clutch out at almost 2k sometimes. Anyone else notice this or think it is a problem. Other than that I have a drag/notch going into second gear that some others are having, but I found that if you rev it closer to 4k or pause in nuetral quickly before changing gears it goes in very smooth. This also happens going into third sometimes but not as harsh when it does happen. Overall I like the clutch feel but it seems as if you do need to give it a bit of throttle while releasing the clutch to get things going, if you just try and release the clutch with hardly any gas the car bogs. Thanks for the time.

PS. I love the car!!

Last edited by scottatyamaha; Mar 1, 2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
time for a clutch change maybe?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

I guess I should of added this is a brand new X with 250 miles. The car does this warm or cold, the tranny I am sure will smooth out after the car gets some use on it. It is still a ton better than my 8 tranny.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, I've noticed this as well.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Yes, I've noticed this as well.
It kind of bothers me, I thought I had a sticky throttle cable and then i realized it was an electronic throttle. At least I am not the only one. I will just have to get used to it.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
It kind of bothers me, I thought I had a sticky throttle cable and then i realized it was an electronic throttle. At least I am not the only one. I will just have to get used to it.
Agreed. I find myself getting on the throttle a bit early between gears. I'm sure I'll subconsciously adjust to it in a matter of days though.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

That sounds like a perfect description of what mine does as well. The 2nd gear thing is really odd and 3rd seems to be there slightly but only sometimes. The rest of the gears are butter smooth, and 2nd and 3rd are too, once the little hesitation is gone. Down shifts are buttery smooth in all gears. This is really an odd feeling sortof clunk. I have 480 miles on mine and it has it the same as the first mile I put on it. Scott, what color and options did you get on yours? Did you trade your other one in?

Brian
Old Mar 1, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Brian, I got the Graphite Grey with the SSS package and interior sport package. The car is great, it is everything I was looking for. I am sure the tranny will smooth out some, it is still better than my 8 tranny. As long as I shift either at 4k rrpm it is smooth or i pause in nuetral it shifts smooth into second. But the throttle thing I am trying to figure out if they mean it to be like that or if there is a problem. It sure is tricky!! Anyways since you are so close we will have to meet up for a mountain run or a car meet sometime. Where are you in NC exactly again.

By the way I get way more looks in my X than the 8, what about you?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Mine is just a stripped out SSS car with wheel locks. I like the look of the parking brake handle and shift knob. How does the shift knob feel in your hand?

I know, these new cars are awesome. Everytime I get in and drive it, it just makes me smile. The thing looks awesome inside and out, has a kick *** stereo, smooth, quiet and refined feeling yet the steering response is much faster than my 05 MR. The front end just looks mean, and yes it does get people looking at it. I have a secret mod that I am going to be putting on mine. I am hoping with one small mod, a 60 whp jump in power. Going to dyno it stock and then with the secret mod and see if I am correct in my thinking.

I am working on getting some new wheels 18 x 9.5 +22 for it. May have them in a week or so. Going to put some nice 275's on it probably. Want to hit over 1.00 g on the skidpad, even though I have no way to measure it.

Would love to hit the mountains in these things. We might get an Evo mountain/dragon trip going shortly before the weather gets too warm and the bikes start coming out to slow us up.

I am in Hickory NC.

Brian
Old Mar 1, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm just used to an e-throttle because my sti had one. It's not too sensitive once you get used to it, but it does seem to linger before the rpms drop back down. My sti was similar, and the exhuast seems to be the reason why. Too much backpressure I guess. A free flowing exhaust should fix this right up, and give some nice power in the process.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 02:50 PM

This reminds me of the "throttle hang" issue that the 06 Civic Si had.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just a little FYI for everyone, Manual transmission cars with the latest drive by wire type throttle systems typically rev up a little like that while stationary. The reasoning is to make a shorter pedal movement to prevent stalling in stop and go traffic when throttle position precision is important. I did some work with the newer VW ecu's as an engineer a long time ago, and this was a feature. I am sure it is standard among car makes/designs.

It is likely you will just get used to it and then wonder how you ever lived without it.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

^ I have already gotten used to it...lol It was tricky at first, but now i am good.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, I stalled so much because of this =/ Still getting used to it.