Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Solution To Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atleast it doesnt crunch 3rd and 5th at high rpms like my VIII
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:52 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah, ours does it...

nice grind if we shift slowly from 1st to 2nd, terribly bad when cold, i shift from 1st to 3rd.

cb
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow its nice to see that their trannies are shifting smooth. Man and I complain about 2nd being notchy every now and then on my MR but it aint bad really. Anybody tried changing the fluid?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i get the same problem.... 2nd to 3rd...makes this wierd noise....like its rubbing on to something... dont like it
Old Mar 7, 2008, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
this is going to be a hit or miss, my buddy X shift just lke any evo before. Sorry to hear that, if yours does it.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
"The 5-speed manual does not have a reverse gear, instead it uses a combination of gears 1 and 3 with an idler gear on a separate shaft to reverse the direction of rotation. "

We might find the roots of this problem here, later....
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Actually I'm not an evo newbie, and there's no need to insult me and act like a jerk when I'm trying to help all of us X owners who are having this issue. I have driven an evo 8 on the street and even on the track, and my buddy has an evo 9 that I've driven countless times and it doesn't have this issue. Notec, do you even have a X? Because if you don't then you are not qualified to make any comments on this issue. It would be easy to assume without having even driven one that it's just like the 8 and 9 were, but it's different. The old models did this when the tranny was cold, but quickly went away after the tranny was warmed up. The X's notchiness never goes away, and it's so bad that it even makes an audible crunchy sound in addition to the awful feeling in the knob. THAT IS NOT NORMAL. Now, the car seems to shift well once warmed up if it is shifted very quickly and at higher rpms, but normal paced shifting produces horrible notchiness. There is a dedicated thread to this exact issue, and countless evo X owners are having this problem, many of whom have owned 8's and 9's that didn't do this. I guess they are just "evo newbies" as well, and don't know what they are talking about. Getting back on topic, for those of us who need help with this issue, read my first post and let's make mitsu aware of this problem so that we can have it fixed.
Read my words and understand my message!!! YOU are an Evo newbie. Is this not your first Evo? You drove your friends Evo 9 and have also driven an 8 without the problem. So have I on several ocassions. Like I said, it's hit or miss with these cars and probably affects a minority. My IX has had a slight grind/crunch since day 1. I bought it with 2 miles on it and it did the same thing from 1-2 and 2-3. 16K miles later and the problem is still there. It does it moreso when cold and deminishes when warm. YOU are describing a problem that has affected a hand full of 8s and 9s and I am telling you that is the way these cars are. If you werent an Evo newbie, you would have known this. Me calling you a newbie isnt an insult, it's the truth. You're correct, it's not normal when compared to every other vehicle manufactured, but when comparing it to the thousands of Evos sold prior to the X, it is an issue that you have to expect to deal with. Dont forget, there are alot more CT9As on the streets and the ratio favors those that dont have issues vs those that do. Mitsu is aware of the issue and has been since long before the cars landed here. It's nothing new. Now please, go out and enjoy your slow car. <-- I think I am qualified to call it slow because I have driven it. Never brought it passed 5K rpm or 75 mph because there was no point. Never brought it home because it wasnt significantly better or less problematic than what I already own.

Last edited by NoTec; Mar 7, 2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Hate to tell you this too but that sounds like the same problem VIII/IX have and always have had. aint gona do anything about it, they never did for us evo VIII/IX owners My IX has the exact samething youre describing
I purchased a '03 Evo VIII and never had any issues with notchy/grinding shifts. The grind that I feel when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd feels more like my buddies '04 Evo when trying to shift into 5th, a moderate grind that just doesn't feel right, and his car has 60k+ miles! It really doesn't bother me too much, I will still call corporate and tell them that I have the problem but, I am really just going to monitor it for signs of deterioration.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:33 AM

*My first 3 paragraph post was deleted by my browser*

My EvoX has just under 240 miles on it. It's my first Evo. I had a 95tsi/awd6boltDSMlink'd talon.

My tranny has this "notchy" feeling too. My 1st>2nd is bad but my 2nd>3rd is fine. I feel the tranny needs to be broken in. It's extremely stiff IMO. My truck and talon both shifted very smooth. Oddly enough I had to beat the talon with a hammer before it shifted smooth and to get my 5th gear back.

I chalk the "rough" tranny up to the X being a sports car. If I wanted a smooth shifting, large trunk, eco-box, I would have gotten an Altima.

I have not made a heated run from 1st > 4th. So I do not know how the tranny shifts under pressure. If,only if, it shifts amazingly while under heavy accleration I'll take the good with the bad.

I've gotten use to the notchy-ness and have learned how to shift without the "clunk".

Need to give the car more time. And yes I too did not like the sound of "No dedicated reverse gear" the moment I heard it. Turbotrix mentioned the tranny looked very "beefy" so X fingers. (pun intended)
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

FWIW:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&postcount=226

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ifter+bushings
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Keepster13
I chalk the "rough" tranny up to the X being a sports car. If I wanted a smooth shifting, large trunk, eco-box, I would have gotten an Altima.

Nice excuse but not very realistic. My MR2 is more "sports-car" than the X and it's 16 years old and has smooth gear shifting.

Face it, the design of the evo tranny isn't the best..
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Here is a thread/poll started in 2003!!!
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ghlight=notchy

All I did was search "notchy" as thread title and this is what I came up with.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...archid=7677741

Still think I'm talking out my @ss??? This problem has been around for atleast 5 years now. Maybe I should search gear grind next and see what comes up.

Edit: Gear grinding. 57 threads since 2003. Enjoy!!!
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...archid=7677816

Last edited by NoTec; Mar 7, 2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ

Nice excuse but not very realistic. My MR2 is more "sports-car" than the X and it's 16 years old and has smooth gear shifting.

Face it, the design of the evo tranny isn't the best..
Your MR2 is NOT more of a sport cars that the X. You are out of your friggin mind. The X will out do the MR2 in every performance category there is as will the Evo 8 and 9. The only thing that might possible make the MR2 more of a sports car to some people is because it is the traditional rear wheel drive 2 door platforn. The Evo will out do it in every performance category, has a useable backseat, 4 doors, and will go in the snow (with proper tires). It depends on your defininiton of sports car. If that is purely a 2 door sports car, rear wheel drive, then you are right. Then that would make the V6 Mustang more of a sports car by that definition.

Brian
Old Mar 7, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

I have this problem also but have found a way to make it shift smooth. If you shift before 3k rpms it will go in smoothly. If you shift inbetween 3k-4k rpms blip the throttle when you press in the clutch and it will shift smooth. Also shifting above 4k rpm the car will shift smooth. I also found that slightly pausing in neutral before the shift works too but is annoying. I am going to wait to see if it smooths out once the car breaks in more. I only have 600 miles on it and want to give it a shot before I file a complaint. I also dont like the idea too much of my brand new car having the tranny taken out of it quite yet.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
I have this problem also but have found a way to make it shift smooth. If you shift before 3k rpms it will go in smoothly. If you shift inbetween 3k-4k rpms blip the throttle when you press in the clutch and it will shift smooth. Also shifting above 4k rpm the car will shift smooth. I also found that slightly pausing in neutral before the shift works too but is annoying. I am going to wait to see if it smooths out once the car breaks in more. I only have 600 miles on it and want to give it a shot before I file a complaint. I also dont like the idea too much of my brand new car having the tranny taken out of it quite yet.
Your remedy is more or less what I do to avoid the feeling in my car, minus the blip of the throttle between 3k and 4k. I just wait until the car grabs the gear and there usually is no grind or scrape. No one likes the idea of having a $30K car's tranny ripped out in the first few miles.

If it makes any of you guys feel better, a few BMW M5 owners are complaining of "rattling in the dash" of their new cars. Hey, quality control for everyone is an issue these days.

Quick Reply: Solution To Shifting Problem