Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Solution To Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ try the blip of the throttle, it works.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 06:51 AM

I would like to hear PDXEvo's thoughts on this subject. He has gone to the track and "raced" his X.

How does it shift under track conditions?
Does it feel solid?
Does the "notchy-ness" even come into play?

Also Noize, having a high mileage X, close to 4k, has the tranny adjusted any?

Also both your thoughts on the tranny.

To boostez: You're MR2 is over 10rys old, with either a 10yr old tranny or newly rebuilt. I do not wish to get into a talk about your MR2 either. The comment that the MR2 is more of a race car is Off Topic and uncalled for flaming. I will ignore it. Lets talk transmissions.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
I have this problem also but have found a way to make it shift smooth. If you shift before 3k rpms it will go in smoothly. If you shift inbetween 3k-4k rpms blip the throttle when you press in the clutch and it will shift smooth. Also shifting above 4k rpm the car will shift smooth. I also found that slightly pausing in neutral before the shift works too but is annoying. I am going to wait to see if it smooths out once the car breaks in more. I only have 600 miles on it and want to give it a shot before I file a complaint. I also dont like the idea too much of my brand new car having the tranny taken out of it quite yet.
Blipping the throttle to match revs is something that was done back in the ol' days PRIOR to synchros... So the fact that you can eliminate the grind by blipping the throttle indicates to me that the source of the problem would infact be the synchros, which we probably all already knew but this just further proves the point. Like I said before though, I am not worried about it and am only looking down the road for any signs of deterioration. I will also pick up a set of shifter bushings and see what that does for us...
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Keepster13
I would like to hear PDXEvo's thoughts on this subject. He has gone to the track and "raced" his X.

How does it shift under track conditions?
Does it feel solid?
Does the "notchy-ness" even come into play?

To boostez: You're MR2 is over 10rys old, with either a 10yr old tranny or newly rebuilt. I do not wish to get into a talk about your MR2 either. The comment that the MR2 is more of a race car is Off Topic and uncalled for flaming. I will ignore it. Lets talk transmissions.
Geez, let the guy enjoy his MR2! It't not an apples to apples comparison, and I don't think that is his intention, don't worry about it.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

I'd be curious to see if anyone has thrown in the underhood bushings that AMS or Buschur has for sale. It made a dramatic difference in my 8. Could work with the X too.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hel_if_ino
Blipping the throttle to match revs is something that was done back in the ol' days PRIOR to synchros... So the fact that you can eliminate the grind by blipping the throttle indicates to me that the source of the problem would infact be the synchros, which we probably all already knew but this just further proves the point. Like I said before though, I am not worried about it and am only looking down the road for any signs of deterioration. I will also pick up a set of shifter bushings and see what that does for us...
That's what I'd do in the meantime.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:42 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by NoTec
Read my words and understand my message!!! YOU are an Evo newbie. Is this not your first Evo? You drove your friends Evo 9 and have also driven an 8 without the problem. So have I on several ocassions. Like I said, it's hit or miss with these cars and probably affects a minority. My IX has had a slight grind/crunch since day 1. I bought it with 2 miles on it and it did the same thing from 1-2 and 2-3. 16K miles later and the problem is still there. It does it moreso when cold and deminishes when warm. YOU are describing a problem that has affected a hand full of 8s and 9s and I am telling you that is the way these cars are. If you werent an Evo newbie, you would have known this. Me calling you a newbie isnt an insult, it's the truth. You're correct, it's not normal when compared to every other vehicle manufactured, but when comparing it to the thousands of Evos sold prior to the X, it is an issue that you have to expect to deal with. Dont forget, there are alot more CT9As on the streets and the ratio favors those that dont have issues vs those that do. Mitsu is aware of the issue and has been since long before the cars landed here. It's nothing new. Now please, go out and enjoy your slow car. <-- I think I am qualified to call it slow because I have driven it. Never brought it passed 5K rpm or 75 mph because there was no point. Never brought it home because it wasnt significantly better or less problematic than what I already own.
You're being a little abrasive and you're wrong to boot. I tune some weekends at an Evo shop in Georgia, and because of this have driven a lot of VIIIs and IXs. I had an VIII and IX for more than 60k combined, and several of my closest friends have Evos that I drive all the time.

When the tranny in the CT9A cars feels notchy, it is nowhere near as bad as the second and third gear notch in the CZ4A. There are a lot of times that it is downright ridiculous and it feels like the clutch is not disengaging at all. It feels like a no clutch shift at times. I noticed it immediately. When I test drove my car at South Coast and went into third at ~3500rpm during normal driving, I heard and felt a -GRRRK- and asked the sales guy: "What the hell?" This is not a full grind, but its a really bad notch that feels like the clutch is dragging.

The fact that you can drive even a little spirited, just accelerate in gear with no launch at all and smell clutch is another piece of evidence. Still even another is that people who are drag racing are reporting that the clutch gets liquidized after just a pass or two. I've never launched this car at all, but even putting it up on the dyno ramps and revving to 2000rpm to climb them you can smell clutch.

My hypothesis is that it has a very aggressive restrictor pill in the clutch line that makes the clutch disengage really, really, really slowly. I think that finding and pulling this pill should be the first thing to try to fix it. I also think that it would rectify the problem immediately.

Originally Posted by Keepster13

4200 miles and still as bad as day one. See my thoughts above. I believe that this is a great idea of a thread, and whether Mitsu helps us or not, by pooling our resources and ideas we will find a cure.

Last edited by Noize; Mar 7, 2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

ok who is going to be the first to pull the clutch line and replace it with a braided line to see if it helps the problem. This should be easy for a shop to do and let us know something....AMS, Buschar????
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Also if it is a clutch drag why does it only do it between 3k-4k rpm for must of us.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:55 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Also if it is a clutch drag why does it only do it between 3k-4k rpm for must of us.
I'm not sure it is, but I think it could be part of the problem. I can get it at redline on a 1-2, but never at redline on a 2-3. My cure is just to shift in like this- Clutch- pull to neutral between gears- pull again into next gear, or just to shift slower.

Until a cure is found, I have been babying the car quite a bit and not allowing it to notch.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
Your MR2 is NOT more of a sport cars that the X. You are out of your friggin mind. The X will out do the MR2 in every performance category there is as will the Evo 8 and 9. The only thing that might possible make the MR2 more of a sports car to some people is because it is the traditional rear wheel drive 2 door platforn. The Evo will out do it in every performance category, has a useable backseat, 4 doors, and will go in the snow (with proper tires). It depends on your defininiton of sports car. If that is purely a 2 door sports car, rear wheel drive, then you are right. Then that would make the V6 Mustang more of a sports car by that definition.

Brian

I'm speaking in the traditional sense. It's small, lightweight, aerodynamic, 2-door, 2-seat, mid-engine, and RWD. That's the traditional definition of a sports car NOT a 3600lbs, 4-door, 6 airbags, sedan that happens to make big power and turn corners faster.

Anyway, back on topic!

-M

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Mar 7, 2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

I have just under 1000 miles and have had my car for 5 weeks. No issue so far. The tranny is so much smoother than my VIII.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
I'm speaking in the traditional sense. It's small, lightweight, aerodynamic, 2-door, 2-seat, mid-engine, and RWD. That's the traditional definition of a sports car NOT a 3600lbs, 4-door, 6 airbags, sedan that happens to make big power and turn corners faster.

Anyway, back on topic!

-M
Whatever you want to believe... Just dont try to hang with an Evo X in your "True Sports car", in any performance venue except perhaps in a straigtline if you MR2 is modded up.

Back on topic.

Funny thing about this new car is they fixed the high RPM shifting issues, but now they have the low RPM (non racing) shifting issues. I dont know how they managed to make it shift good fast and at high RPM, but made it not shift well when going slow and at low RPM's. That is a feat of engineering work in itself!! And the thing downshifts superbly as well. Most cars that have shifting issues will have problems on downshifts, not this one.

The shifting is just strange on this car. Hopefully things will loosen up with more shifts. Mileage may not be as important and number of 2nd gear shifts to get the matting parts to seat better. Dont know, just a hope.

Brian
Old Mar 7, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
what is the "clutch drag"?

I cant say anything about those who saying have experience but the X i drove had no issue. I test drove the X in the winter./so its cold / Neither me or the owner , who owns evos since 03, had the tranny issue.
I drove another one , nothing unusual.
But maybe i got lucky. That is why i said hit or miss.
I had problems with my 99 /dont really count since was a race car/- 04 tranny ,the mean time not one of my friend had it. But these issues are with the evo since its born. And it is really weird when the first time owner telling me or others, it is not what we experienced . Even when we drove the X
Yes can be an isolated unique problem , but i would say it will be, just as any other Evo problems before.
If its turn out to be other way, then the X is getting major problems very early, even in stock stage... Which is doesn't make the previous models laughable from the X point of view... like some like to call it.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 7, 2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
You're being a little abrasive and you're wrong to boot. I tune some weekends at an Evo shop in Georgia, and because of this have driven a lot of VIIIs and IXs. I had an VIII and IX for more than 60k combined, and several of my closest friends have Evos that I drive all the time.

When the tranny in the CT9A cars feels notchy, it is nowhere near as bad as the second and third gear notch in the CZ4A. There are a lot of times that it is downright ridiculous and it feels like the clutch is not disengaging at all. It feels like a no clutch shift at times. I noticed it immediately. When I test drove my car at South Coast and went into third at ~3500rpm during normal driving, I heard and felt a -GRRRK- and asked the sales guy: "What the hell?" This is not a full grind, but its a really bad notch that feels like the clutch is dragging.

The fact that you can drive even a little spirited, just accelerate in gear with no launch at all and smell clutch is another piece of evidence. Still even another is that people who are drag racing are reporting that the clutch gets liquidized after just a pass or two. I've never launched this car at all, but even putting it up on the dyno ramps and revving to 2000rpm to climb them you can smell clutch.

My hypothesis is that it has a very aggressive restrictor pill in the clutch line that makes the clutch disengage really, really, really slowly. I think that finding and pulling this pill should be the first thing to try to fix it. I also think that it would rectify the problem immediately.
Abrasive, yes. I'll tone it down next time. Wrong, not too sure about that one?? I drove the X for a solid 10 mins and felt no grind or severe nothciness. Others close to me have also had the same experience. I didnt notice any clutch smell and the window was cracked for the entire drive. I've also had that experience driving 8s and 9s. The transmissions were as smooth as caramel. And then there are the few like mine that will grind periodically and are notchy all the time.
Agrressive restrictor pill would explain it. Removal seems to have been the solution for a lot of folks. As far as me being wrong on it being hit or miss, I think that is incorrect.

Quick Reply: Solution To Shifting Problem