Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Solution To Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2008, 08:59 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
what is the "clutch drag"?

I cant say anything about those who saying have experience but the X i drove had no issue. I test drove the X in the winter./so its cold / Neither me or the owner , who owns evos since 03, had the tranny issue.
I drove another one , nothing unusual.
But maybe i got lucky. That is why i said hit or miss.
I had problems with my 99 /dont really count since was a race car/- 04 tranny ,the mean time not one of my friend had it. But these issues are with the evo since its born. And it is really weird when the first time owner telling me or others, it is not what we experienced . Even when we drove the X
Yes can be an isolated unique problem , but i would say it will be, just as any other Evo problems before.
If its turn out to be other way, then the X is getting major problems very early, even in stock stage... Which is doesn't make the previous models laughable from the X point of view... like some like to call it.

You need to stop being all butthurt about that comment I made in my review of the new car (which was over a month ago by the way) that obviously flew WAY over your head. For the fourth time, in that comment, I was talking about the rigidity of the chassis, the handling, and the SAYC, which was not on the US cars until 2008. Not the shifter, not the paint issues, not the higher weight, not even the looks.

Clearly there are things that are a lot better about the IX than the X in my opinion as well, but I stand by my opinion that the US spec CZ4A has the US spec CT9A trumped in chassis rigidity, handling, and understeer management. It was my opinion in my review thread. Not only did you not understand what I was saying and took it out of context, you got all upset over something that I was not inferring at all. Its your simple misunderstanding and incorrect comprehension of what I typed, period.

Grudge vulture much? Sheesh.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 09:03 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by NoTec
Abrasive, yes. I'll tone it down next time. Wrong, not too sure about that one?? I drove the X for a solid 10 mins and felt no grind or severe nothciness. Others close to me have also had the same experience. I didnt notice any clutch smell and the window was cracked for the entire drive. I've also had that experience driving 8s and 9s. The transmissions were as smooth as caramel. And then there are the few like mine that will grind periodically and are notchy all the time.
Agrressive restrictor pill would explain it. Removal seems to have been the solution for a lot of folks. As far as me being wrong on it being hit or miss, I think that is incorrect.
I'm not saying you are wrong about the X you drove, man. I SO wish I could have got one of those instead. The difference between this car and the notchiness in the older Evos I have driven is this one is such an issue that I have had to change the way I shift and drive, which is a PITA to me. I jumped in my friend's VIII the other day, and it pissed me off how much better it shifts. He drove my car and said "what is wrong with your gearbox?"

I agree with you that the transmissions in all these cars are a little goofy. My IX grinded reverse bad unless I put it in second first. Drove me insane. My VIII got a high rpm 4th gear grind at 30k that went away immediately when I went to BG Synchroshift.

This particular problem on my X is just a lot more annoying than those were.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
I'm not saying you are wrong about the X you drove, man. I SO wish I could have got one of those instead. The difference between this car and the notchiness in the older Evos I have driven is this one is such an issue that I have had to change the way I shift and drive, which is a PITA to me. I jumped in my friend's VIII the other day, and it pissed me off how much better it shifts. He drove my car and said "what is wrong with your gearbox?"

I agree with you that the transmissions in all these cars are a little goofy. My IX grinded reverse bad unless I put it in second first. Drove me insane. My VIII got a high rpm 4th gear grind at 30k that went away immediately when I went to BG Synchroshift.

Understood!!!
Goodluck to all you guys though. The people I really feel sorry for are the ones who are going to have to deal with the neutral gear noise and any other qwerks in the SST transmissions.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

My car has the problem. I have also smelled the clutch alot more than any of my past cars.(Supercharged M3, Big16G GST). Even when the clutch was going out in the GST and the M3 it didnt smell as often as the X. I havent read this entire thread or all of them regarding this issue but has anyone with an X actually removed the restrictor pill to remedy this problem? I wouldnt mind giving it a try if no one else has. I have the mother in law in town this weekend so Im looking for a garage project..lol
Old Mar 7, 2008, 09:27 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by wickedchimp
My car has the problem. I have also smelled the clutch alot more than any of my past cars.(Supercharged M3, Big16G GST). Even when the clutch was going out in the GST and the M3 it didnt smell as often as the X. I havent read this entire thread or all of them regarding this issue but has anyone with an X actually removed the restrictor pill to remedy this problem? I wouldnt mind giving it a try if no one else has. I have the mother in law in town this weekend so Im looking for a garage project..lol
LMAO at the mother in law in town! I can so relate. I would make an excuse to cut the grass of the whole neighborhood sometimes if I could get away with it.

If you try it, please post pics and results. I would love to hear what you come up with.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

I am with you Noize I dont like to have to change the way I drive to go around a problem. But from how you describe it, I think your transmission is worse than mine. Should I make a thread asking one of the Vendors on here to test out a clutch line with out a restrictor pill?
Old Mar 7, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wickedchimp
I have not smelled clutch one time in my new X.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
You need to stop being all butthurt about that comment I made in my review of the new car (which was over a month ago by the way) that obviously flew WAY over your head. For the fourth time, in that comment, I was talking about the rigidity of the chassis, the handling, and the SAYC, which was not on the US cars until 2008. Not the shifter, not the paint issues, not the higher weight, not even the looks.

Clearly there are things that are a lot better about the IX than the X in my opinion as well, but I stand by my opinion that the US spec CZ4A has the US spec CT9A trumped in chassis rigidity, handling, and understeer management. It was my opinion in my review thread. Not only did you not understand what I was saying and took it out of context, you got all upset over something that I was not inferring at all. Its your simple misunderstanding and incorrect comprehension of what I typed, period.

Grudge vulture much? Sheesh.
since you start with me again, i am will understand your point and get the fact, i missunderstand what you wrote there,. So i apologize.
Could you translate it for me , so i can see where i screw it up.

"The place this car really just obliterates the IX is the chassis. Its ridiculous good. I know I keep saying it, but this car is screwed together so much better than the older Evos, that its worth lifting them from their graves for a chance to point and laugh."

thanks.
i hope you will not delete my post and banned me.
no hard feelings!
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

since you start with me again, i am will understand your point and get the fact, i missunderstand what you wrote there,. So i apologize.

"The place this car really just obliterates the IX is the chassis. Its ridiculous good. I know I keep saying it, but this car is screwed together so much better than the older Evos, that its worth lifting them from their graves for a chance to point and laugh."

thanks.
no hard feelings!
Rob you are cool! What Mod would ban a guy who's comments are so hilarious with the broken english??
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Seems like others are pointing to the restrictor pill to: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...highlight=pill
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:49 AM
EvoM Administrator

Thumbs up

thanks.
no hard feelings!
Of course I am not going to ban you! Here, I will break it down for you since you asked so nicely:

When I talk about the superior chassis of the new car, I am talking about how it was welded, designed, and put together- from an aspect of focusing on handling.

Examples of this would be how the car is just stiffer in corner transition and has less chassis flex. Another example would be that midcorner bumps do not upset the way it is traveling or deter it from the way it is going.

A way to compare the chassis on cars that are spung equally stiff is to go over railroad tracks at about 5mph faster than you normally would. How the cars reacts to this in comparison to one another is very telling.

You have to realize that this came at a very expensive cost: The new car is a lot heavier than the old one and in part because of this.

Man, I loved my IX. I thought it looked better than my X, it was a lot lighter, it was substantially faster in a straight line, and it had a much better aftermarket! The IX is just flat out better there. On a dragstrip, I would much rather have the IX. On a track day with a lot of turns, I would rather have the X.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
thanks this is sounds much nicer, then the other one. I like this write up and i totally agree with it.
Thanks.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Guys I know I am evo Noob but take a listen to this:

In the WRX 5 speed we have had a ton of problems with notchy trans. Alot our cars wont downshift into first at stop, and will shif t poorly 2-3, 3-4. Double clutching and throttle blipping is rampant.

This too was not subaru's problem.

We fixed it tho. If you google Uncle Scotty cocktail nasioc. He developed a mix of Redline shockproof, penziol synchromesh, topped of with castrol hypo C. This is like the miracle cure for the WRX 5 speed. If you troll over there he may know abit about mits 5 speeds as well.

For those that want to know why: basically transfluid needs to do 2 things it needs to lubricate, but it also needs have enough friction in it so that the synchros spin and you can shift. So having the slipperiest (is that a word?) engine oil is great but not so much in a trans.

Cheers
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That may help but synchromesh is iffy in the Evos tranny...not enough viscosity. Being that the X's tranny fluid is thinner than the earlier evos it might work though. I said along time ago and so did Noize. The restictor pill causes havoc. Having a pill in the clutch line to slow fluid movement down kills everything. Being as so many idiots blow their tranny up Mitsubishi probably stuck about the biggest restictor they could fit in their. If its slowing clutch engagement enough it will indeed not shift smooth. I could bet money on it changing to like an amsoil fluid and pulling out the restrictor will do wonders.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I am happy to report that my notchiness is getting better. All of the sudden actually, it's strange. My 2nd to 3rd is still notchy, but has improved and my 1st to 2nd has almost gone away completely. I just passed the 600 mile mark, and I am thinking that it will only improve even more. Strange thing is that it's cold today, which would usually make the problem worse. So I guess that things are finally starting to wear in. What seems to have helped is just shifting gears as much as possible to beak in the synchros. It's helping mine, at least. Noize, I find it strange that mine is improving at 600 miles and that you have 3k plus and yours hasn't changed. I know that you mentioned that speed shifting, which mine seems to respond well to, doesn't work on yours. That's strange because techically speaking, shifting quickly before the rpms drop is better for the synchros anyway, because it makes their job easier when the gears are already spinning at speeds more suitable for the next gear. It doesn't make any sense that your tranny doesnt like this. Either way, as I mentioned in my first post I think that you and all the others should call and make mention of this issue just so that mitsu is at least aware of the problem. It's starting to seem to me to not be a mechanical issue but rather a "just need to be broken in" issue, or a fluid issue, which was my initial suspicion. Perhaps they will make a change to the fluid that will make this break in process quicker and easier. Who knows...

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Mar 8, 2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Solution To Shifting Problem