Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Solution To Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Solution To Shifting Problem

Alright, I spoke with Mitsubishi corporate, and strangely enough neither they nor any of the dealers that I spoke with have heard this complaint from any of the X owners out there other than me. The person that I spoke with said that the more calls that they get describing this same issue, the quicker it'll get fixed. This will make it more of a priority if they can see that the problem is wide spread and not some isolated case that isn't worth their time. PLEASE CALL MITSU CORPORATE AND DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN FULL. Their phone number is 888-648-7820. Mention also, as I did, that you are on the forums and that everyone with the X is having the issues you are experiencing, so as to help document how wde spread the problem is. They will give you a case number, and tell you that the service manager of mitsu corporate will call you within 24 hours. Please also call your local dealer and mention this problem as well. THIS WILL HELP ALL OF US GET THIS RESOLVED AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. WE HAVE TO TEAM UP TO GET THIS DONE. So let's see some action people!
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Luck!
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

What issue are you having?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

^The notchy, crunchy shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd that almost every evo x owner is having. Does your's not have this issue? Everyone else's, including mine, seems to. Shifting fast once the tranny is warm seems to alleviate the problem, but it still shouldn't be doing this, not on a brand new car.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

mine doesnt do it... it feels just like my old IX... the notchiness that is....
Old Mar 6, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Nope, mine is smooth. I was actually extremely impressed by how nice this car shifted.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

He's an Evo newbie. This issue has been ongoing since 2003 with the Evo 8. It is a hit or miss issue. It probably affects less than 30% of the cars out there. Tolerances in these trannies are probably wicked tight. They arent going to issue a TSB or anything like that until a crap load of people start complaining about complete gear lockout or catastropic tranny failure.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
He's an Evo newbie. This issue has been ongoing since 2003 with the Evo 8. It is a hit or miss issue. It probably affects less than 30% of the cars out there. Tolerances in these trannies are probably wicked tight. They arent going to issue a TSB or anything like that until a crap load of people start complaining about complete gear lockout or catastropic tranny failure.
Actually I'm not an evo newbie, and there's no need to insult me and act like a jerk when I'm trying to help all of us X owners who are having this issue. I have driven an evo 8 on the street and even on the track, and my buddy has an evo 9 that I've driven countless times and it doesn't have this issue. Notec, do you even have a X? Because if you don't then you are not qualified to make any comments on this issue. It would be easy to assume without having even driven one that it's just like the 8 and 9 were, but it's different. The old models did this when the tranny was cold, but quickly went away after the tranny was warmed up. The X's notchiness never goes away, and it's so bad that it even makes an audible crunchy sound in addition to the awful feeling in the knob. THAT IS NOT NORMAL. Now, the car seems to shift well once warmed up if it is shifted very quickly and at higher rpms, but normal paced shifting produces horrible notchiness. There is a dedicated thread to this exact issue, and countless evo X owners are having this problem, many of whom have owned 8's and 9's that didn't do this. I guess they are just "evo newbies" as well, and don't know what they are talking about. Getting back on topic, for those of us who need help with this issue, read my first post and let's make mitsu aware of this problem so that we can have it fixed.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Mar 6, 2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 6, 2008, 05:10 PM

I'm in. I have had this notchy and crunchy feel at day one. I will be contacting Mitsu corporate tommorrow.

Thanks for the support and action...Hopefully mitsu has a resolution!
Old Mar 6, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Actually I'm not an evo newbie, and there's no need to insult me and act like a jerk when I'm trying to help all of us X owners who are having this issue. I have driven an evo 8 on the street and even on the track, and my buddy has an evo 9 that I've driven countless times and it doesn't have this issue. Notec, do you even have a X? Because if you don't then you are not qualified to make any comments on this issue. It would be easy to assume without having even driven one that it's just like the 8 and 9 were, but it's different. The old models did this when the tranny was cold, but quickly went away after the tranny was warmed up. The X's notchiness never goes away, and it's so bad that it even makes an audible crunchy sound in addition to the awful feeling in the knob. THAT IS NOT NORMAL. Now, the car seems to shift well once warmed up if it is shifted very quickly and at higher rpms, but normal paced shifting produces horrible notchiness. There is a dedicated thread to this exact issue, and countless evo X owners are having this problem, many of whom have owned 8's and 9's that didn't do this. I guess they are just "evo newbies" as well, and don't know what they are talking about. Getting back on topic, for those of us who need help with this issue, read my first post and let's make mitsu aware of this problem so that we can have it fixed.
Hate to tell you this too but that sounds like the same problem VIII/IX have and always have had. aint gona do anything about it, they never did for us evo VIII/IX owners My IX has the exact samething youre describing
Old Mar 6, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Hate to tell you this too but that sounds like the same problem VIII/IX have and always have had. aint gona do anything about it, they never did for us evo VIII/IX owners My IX has the exact samething youre describing
My VIII has the same thing too, but STI2EvoX is not describing what we have.

He is indeed correct that after the car warms up, I have NO problem shifting from 1st-2nd at ANY speed (within the speed limits of each gear). Stopping at red lights and going from neutral to 1st gear gets easy too.

The X has this problem ALL THE TIME no matter if they just start it up on a cold snowy day or on a hot summer day (where the 8/9's notchiness would be non-existant).

I don't think it'll get fixed by Mitsu though. People will probably upgrade their synchros. That's one of the many things I LOVE about my MR2 over my EVO - cold or hot, the shifter goes in gear VERY easily..
Old Mar 6, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
My VIII has the same thing too, but STI2EvoX is not describing what we have.

He is indeed correct that after the car warms up, I have NO problem shifting from 1st-2nd at ANY speed (within the speed limits of each gear). Stopping at red lights and going from neutral to 1st gear gets easy too.

The X has this problem ALL THE TIME no matter if they just start it up on a cold snowy day or on a hot summer day (where the 8/9's notchiness would be non-existant).

I don't think it'll get fixed by Mitsu though. People will probably upgrade their synchros. That's one of the many things I LOVE about my MR2 over my EVO - cold or hot, the shifter goes in gear VERY easily..
either wont do jack or will put a tsb out for it but i doubt it knowing that they have the worst warranty
Old Mar 6, 2008, 05:58 PM

I have it some from 2nd to 3rd only. But I know what you're talking about. At first I thought it was grinding the gear not having the clutch in all the way cause thats kinda what it felt like but that wasn't the case. I will contact them as well.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

my gst, 8 and x all have felt the same way... its a mitsu tranny. even after mitsu fixed the 2nd gear synchro on my gst it was the same.

try putting some bg synchroshift II in, even just regular synchroshift is a step up.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

This is a completely different issue than the Evo 8's and 9's had. Every gear in the X shifts equally as well if not better than the 8 and 9 when shifted at 7000 RPM. When shifting slowly the X shifts better in all gears except going into 2nd gear and sometimes in 3rd. Mine does 2nd pretty bad but 3rd is not too bad. It does in fact feel like the clutch is fully disengaged when you are shifting, even though the clutch is at the floor and has been at the floor for a second of so.

The Evo 8 and 9 had issues when trying to shift fast, but shifting slow was good except when really cold if using the stock fluid. I will put a call in to Mitsu, but I dont think I would let those monkeys at any dealership work on my car. You are guaranteed to get problems after you get your car back if the dealership monkeys work on it.

Brian

Quick Reply: Solution To Shifting Problem