Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

PERRIN EVO X Test and Tune part 1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 04:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PERRIN EVO X Test and Tune part 1

EVO X Test and Tune.....part 1

Many of you have heard about the internal EVO X vs. 08 STI battle at PERRIN we are having. This should be a real fun thing to watch progress over this summer, but our first installment of this battle is our EVO X initial testing. Unlike some of the future EVO vs STI articles, this one will be totally unbiased. All PERRIN test vehicles start with a baseline run to establish a starting point for the future mods. Below are our results.

First lets explain the dyno and testing methods we are using. In Oregon, we have 92 octane, which is not as “cool” as you East coasters, but it is a step above the CA, AZ, NV guys with 91 fuel. So using that fact our car should put down numbers a little higher than 91 guys but a little lower than east cost guys. What is strange is that we are seeing slightly higher numbers than others are putting down. Our dyno we are using is a Dynapack dyno. This isn’t a dyno that reads high, or really low. In fact it seems to be pretty close to the mustang dyno in how it reads for most cars. All of our runs are done in 4th gear, and run for 14 seconds. Both of these factors play into the actual HP and TQ numbers we see. These factors are important to mention and important to understand as they can be manipulated to change the results. We could have made the dyno read a bit higher, by changing to 3rd gear, or making the run shorter, but for tuning purposes, and future part comparos, this is what we decided on.

The first 3 pulls really amazed us, they were very consistent. We were used to the STI, where the dyno runs can vary 25WHP with the ECU constantly testing the knock threshold. With 5 runs under the X’s belt, we saw an astonishing 260WHP and 280ft-lbs or torque! These seemed a little high compared to other peoples results, but they are very consistent, and a great starting point for future parts.

Our TQ numbers are a little higher than some have seen, some of this has to do with how the Dyno launches the car. This is one of the best features of the Dynapack dyno. We tell it to start at a given RPM the tell it to hold the car there for a given period of time. This lets us make the runs very consistent and launch the same every time. For us we started the runs at 1500RPM and end at 7400. As you can see this make the runs pretty consistent. Consistency is another important thing to us. With all results we show, these are backed up by several other runs. The we take the averaged gain, not the highest gain.

One thing we just couldn’t believe is how rich this car runs! Some were reporting 9.5-1 AFR’s, and I just couldn’t believe it, but sure enough, we saw about the same thing. These results are behind the cats, so that is a good full point AFR leaner. The other blue line is the next thing we did to the X while we had it on the dyno. A PERRIN manual boost controller was used and adjusted to a peak boost pressure similar to stock. We were seeing about 23psi of boost, so we turned up our MBC to 23psi. Below is the stock boost curve compared to the MBC boost curve.

As you can see the EVO boost is a little slower, and drops off more toward redline. More boost equal more power! The peak power went from 260 to 300! This is huge! While the peak number is much higher, what about the midrange and low-end power??

At 23psi we make more TQ at lower RPM and a lot more at redline. Horsepower really went up from 6500 on up. The only thing is the huge drop in power at 6200RPM. This looks to be from the ECU pulling timing as it might have heard knock. Even so we never audibly heard knock. I think that 23psi is perfectly fine with the ECU and I would pretty confident that anyone with an X could buy our $90 part and get 40WHP from it! Before we pulled the car off the dyno, we did a couple runs at 25psi, and found even more HP…but.

The “but” is how consistently; the runs were getting detonation, or at least looked like it. That huge dip in power at 5500 was there on 5 runs and while we didn’t hear anything, it was a sure sign of the ECU not being happy. I suspect misfires from being soooo rich. With minimal mods and still no tuning or parts installed, this is showing great potential.

Check out this video we made showing off our first experience with the X.

So how does this compare to the 08 STI? It takes the cake for most HP in stock form. Below shows the EVO making almost 30 more WHP than the STI.

But add our stage 1 AccessPORT tuning and we start to see where the EVO will loose out. As I would suspect as our battle progresses, we will see the STI make more low end power, and the EVO make more top end power.

With the EVO running as much boost as it is, it doesn’t really have that much to gain at low RPM. But in midrange and top end, the EVO should do well with its bigger turbo.

This is the EVO running 25psi compared to our Stage 2 STI with turbo back and a tune.

Conclusion

So besides the constant black cloud coming off the back of the car, the car shooting fire out the tail pipe, this thing was making some big power! And to kick off our EVO X vs. 08 STI battle, chalk one up to the EVO for most WHP in stock form. More tests will be done over the next few days after our turbo back exhaust is installed and intake and FMIC.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

This is awesome! Keep up the good work
Old Mar 10, 2008, 05:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks! Lots of info is being compiled for our EVO vs. STI battle. Along with an Engine Management solution!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 05:45 PM
Account Disabled

Nice!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 06:18 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
What does a stock IX make on that dyno?

In my past experience, Dynapacks read astronomically high due to removing the wheels from the car among other things. But then again, I look at Dyno Dynamics numbers all day, where stock Evo VIIIs make 200whp and stock IXs make 220whp. I saw the same big gains with an MBC, but especially from 6500rpm to peak power on the rev limiter. The MBC really slows the boost taper down.

I've found the power curve with an MBC to be narrow and annoying. It kind of reminds me of the old 2ZZGE Celicas that came on late and wouldn't go fast if you didn't take them a breath from the rev limiter. These 4B11s are really going to come to life when tuning solutions are available to everyone.

Keep posting the results; we love to see them!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:50 PM

what psi are you running on the STI in stage 1 and 2?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

looks like VTEC just kicked in yo!! @6000....
Old Mar 11, 2008, 08:41 AM

Lots of good stuff and more to come.......

let me know if anyone has any questions.

Thank

Ken
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:28 AM

What would be a good educated guess as to why the car runs so rich from the factory?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Pretty much every turbo car comes from the factory like this (older Evos and STIs, MS3, etc). 1, in case someone puts crappy gas in the car. 2, to keep from melting the cat (i.e. make sure the cat has a long life) from exhaust temps that are too high (so I've heard).
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mgerena12000
What would be a good educated guess as to why the car runs so rich from the factory?
Too much fuel...
I believe the injectors are 650cc and the pump is somewhere between a 190 and 255lph. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

As far as why mitsubishi tuned the car so rich.
1. Safety
2. They were probably trying to keep the horsepower down for insurance reasons but wanted it to be easy to squeeze out the extra horsepower.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
emissions
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Wow extremely impressive how the X gains so much power with just a boost controller.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Noize
What does a stock IX make on that dyno?

In my past experience, Dynapacks read astronomically high due to removing the wheels from the car among other things. But then again, I look at Dyno Dynamics numbers all day, where stock Evo VIIIs make 200whp and stock IXs make 220whp. I saw the same big gains with an MBC, but especially from 6500rpm to peak power on the rev limiter. The MBC really slows the boost taper down.

I've found the power curve with an MBC to be narrow and annoying. It kind of reminds me of the old 2ZZGE Celicas that came on late and wouldn't go fast if you didn't take them a breath from the rev limiter. These 4B11s are really going to come to life when tuning solutions are available to everyone.

Keep posting the results; we love to see them!
We have not dynoed a IX on our Dyno. But our dyno read very similar to the Mustang that is local to us. If anything its high by 5-10 at the most. This is comparing Subarus from one dyno to the next. Yes the DD dyno is super low reading but it doesn't really matter as long the before and afters impress the customer. But its tuff because no one really wants to see those low numbers.

Originally Posted by sl33pyhead
what psi are you running on the STI in stage 1 and 2?
Stage 1 runs about 18psi, Stage 2 is 21-ish psi. Both of these are peak numbers, and both taper to about 14psi at redline. TTS, Tiny Turbo Syndrome.

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Pretty much every turbo car comes from the factory like this (older Evos and STIs, MS3, etc). 1, in case someone puts crappy gas in the car. 2, to keep from melting the cat (i.e. make sure the cat has a long life) from exhaust temps that are too high (so I've heard).
Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
emissions
All are good reasons. The emissions tests don't really play into full throttle to redline runs. So the added richness doesn't effect its EPA rating. But it does fuel mileage. Safety is the number reason in my book. As long as it doesn't misfire its safe. Cars in CA run leaner because of the super oxy gas, and this is another reason to error on the side of rich.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 03:27 PM
Account Disabled

Everyone knows that a dynapack reads high. You disconnect the wheels and connect straight to the hubs. You proved it yourself baselining at 260whp.

Just to make sure you don't try to play the "Our dynapack reads low" card...

Buscher: 215whp / 241ft. trq on a Mustang Dyno
AMS: 236whp on a Dynojet
Vishnu: 210whp on another Mustang.

Perrin: 260WHP on a dynapack.

Still think your dyno reads low??

Last edited by Sky Evo X; Mar 13, 2008 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply: PERRIN EVO X Test and Tune part 1