Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Installed EVC 6 on Evo X....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed EVC 6 on Evo X....

I finally got my Evc 6 from UPS last week. I installed it Saturday and it finally quite raining and took it out to set it up today. Car ran 10.5 psi running on wastegate alone. Got the unit set up to run 22 psi and it falls back to 19 psi by 7k rpm. I havent been able to hook up the RPM and TPS signal yet so that I can fix the boost taper completely. I am waiting to find out a good place to tap in to get the Tach signal. Being that the ECU is under the hood, I would prefer to find a tacho signal inside the car, so I dont have to pull another wire throw the firewall.

Results: The car pulls much much harder now with the added boost in the midrange and up top. It really gets a strong hit about 6000 RPM, when the car smooths out and really hauls. I believe this is the part where the A/F must lean out to a not so "pig rich" ratio and really make some decent power.

I have the warning boost set to 24 psi and set to pull back 1.5 psi of boost pressure if the warning boost pressure is exceeded for more than 500 ms. So it should be safe running and in the higher gears the boost goes slightly higher and this should take care of that and pull it back to approx 22 psi.

With the RPM and TPS hooked up I feel I will be able to achieve 22 psi solid to 7000 RPM. More results to come after I get the RPM hooked up.

Brian
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ARe you using the easy writer software to map it with RPM?
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

You can. But I just do the MAP adjustment on the unit itself. I dont have the Easy Writer software kit. I cant do anything without the RPM hookup, except use it like a normal EBC.

Brian
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

sweet, tricky ebc, isnt it?
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Not tricky at all once you figure it out completely. It is very simple to use in my opinion, you just have to understand what it can do and how it accomplishes it.

Brian
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice, keep us updated!
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

I agree. This EBC is very simple to use and setup. With the RPM and TPS tapped, I could customize my boost curve very easily. Without any fuss, I hit 22.5 psi peak holding 21 psi to redline (datalogged through JDMMAP) in my IX.

Very simple to setup.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 05:59 AM

I was thinking about using the EVC when I get my evo x, can you post pics of where you mounted it please? thanks
Old Mar 19, 2008, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chamama
I agree. This EBC is very simple to use and setup. With the RPM and TPS tapped, I could customize my boost curve very easily. Without any fuss, I hit 22.5 psi peak holding 21 psi to redline (datalogged through JDMMAP) in my IX.

Very simple to setup.
What's the benifits of being able to customize your boost curve?

With my limited experience I'm thinking you just want the boost to come on fast and hold as much as possible to redline.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

With set duty cycle EBC, or MBC, the boost will drop in the upper RPMs due to increase back pressure in the exhaust which helps the pressue in the wastegate actuator open the wastegate. If you customize the EBC to compensate for the increasing exhaust back pressure, you can maintain the same boost pressure to redline (up to the maximum physical flow characteristics of the turbo). All MBC and EBC (without this feature) will taper boost up top with the stock based turbos.

Brian
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Gotcha.

I just always assumed that all EBC's would electronically adjust their internal solenoid to maintain the boost to what you set it to.

Last edited by meltdown; Mar 19, 2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

No. It would have to be a "closed loop" EBC . There was a few back in the day, but they have gone to the "wayside". All EBC's on the market that are commonly used are fixed duty cycle boost controllers. You set the boost controller to hit the boost you want, and set it there. That sets a certain duty cycle or step (for stepper motor type), and the controller maintains that setting. When the air temp changes dramatically from when the unit was originally setup, the boost will raise (cooler) or lower (warmer). But in this case we are solely talking about it dynamic changes in exhaust backpressure with RPM that causes boost taper. The EBC is oblivious to this boost taper and does nothing to try to correct it.

Brian
Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't have a chance to grab an EVC6

we used the AEM Tru Boost gauge, have the boost set to 23psi and it tapers down to 19.2-19.5.

Mike W at RRE are getting prices on the EVC6 for me, we are going to tap the tach and tps (which is already tapped right now, I think) in th engine bay.

i'll be hitting you up soon.

-Chris
Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

We tapped RPM and TPS on my IX. Im using "fun" 5 to show RPM and TPS. I have never mapped the boost by RPM so should I turn "fun" to 1 (off)?
Old Mar 20, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo Tengoku
We tapped RPM and TPS on my IX. Im using "fun" 5 to show RPM and TPS. I have never mapped the boost by RPM so should I turn "fun" to 1 (off)?
With the "fun" in 'off' position, my boost was tapering to 19 psi by redline. With RPM+TPS, I could hold 21 easily. Probably more if I wanted.

I defined my RPM points to 5600, 6000, 6400,6800,7200 and TPS 0,25,50,90,100.

I only corrected TPS 90, 100 and related RPM grid points. This is how I did my setup. You have to do trial and error for your case. Of course I could datalog boost, so I knew what grid points to correct for MY car.

Sorry for going off-topic.

Quick Reply: Installed EVC 6 on Evo X....