Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AGP vs AMS FMIC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2008, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AGP vs AMS FMIC

Im looking at upgrading the intercooler on the EVO X.

Both AGP and AMS FMICs are the same size. Can anyone shed some light as to which one would be the better buy?

Only difference I see is a $200 price tag difference.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

look at the flow rates
Old Mar 18, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Ams 1250

Agp ????
Old Mar 18, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

I would pick AMS because the FMIC is proven, but in the end they pretty much do all the same. It matters on how much heat they take in though.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 07:36 PM
DTM
Account Disabled

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=330001
Old Mar 18, 2008, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

pm'ed
Old Mar 18, 2008, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

AMS is probably the cup of my tea. I really recommend there products because of the quality. I think the fabs at AMS produce really greats products.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:40 PM
Account Disabled

Honestly, I think that we're all going to be pretty equal in the realm of FMICs on this car (without cutting, that is). We're about to release our own version out there as well, and to be honest, as much as I'd like to say it's "better then the AMS version" it's probably not going to be any better or worse then what they have.

It's all going to be an issue of who stands behind their product and who puts the time into their product to make it worthy of your money.

One thing I will say is that as much as some people push other products out there (I.E., "thicker cores for .00X more flow") remember that some of us realize that completely taking up every thousandth of an inch in front of the A/C condensor to squeeze the thickest core available in there might be able to claim "less pressure drop @ XXXX CFM of flow". This sounds great even if (according to them) "you're not going for that much flow--it's still less resistence, thus more power", but look back over history and see how many people have issues cramming such a core in there and overheating in day-to-day situations. Do a quick search for overheating issues on these cores and see the trend for yourself.

Yes, we all want "peak performance" for each part we purchase (I've been on the buyers side as well, like the rest of us) but gaining another 5whp to have a car that overheats on our daily commute during warm weather isn't always the best compromise.

Just some food for thought.

Josh
JNZ Tuning, Inc.
www.jnztuning.com
Old Mar 19, 2008, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

You can't go wrong with AMS, but I have the AGP and so does my co worker. The AGP is awesome and we love it but don't doubt the AMS works just as well. I have not done any flow testing, but at this level its like "come on". They both work fine.

James
Old Mar 19, 2008, 04:36 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DSSA
Honestly, I think that we're all going to be pretty equal in the realm of FMICs on this car (without cutting, that is). We're about to release our own version out there as well, and to be honest, as much as I'd like to say it's "better then the AMS version" it's probably not going to be any better or worse then what they have.

It's all going to be an issue of who stands behind their product and who puts the time into their product to make it worthy of your money.

One thing I will say is that as much as some people push other products out there (I.E., "thicker cores for .00X more flow") remember that some of us realize that completely taking up every thousandth of an inch in front of the A/C condensor to squeeze the thickest core available in there might be able to claim "less pressure drop @ XXXX CFM of flow". This sounds great even if (according to them) "you're not going for that much flow--it's still less resistence, thus more power", but look back over history and see how many people have issues cramming such a core in there and overheating in day-to-day situations. Do a quick search for overheating issues on these cores and see the trend for yourself.

Yes, we all want "peak performance" for each part we purchase (I've been on the buyers side as well, like the rest of us) but gaining another 5whp to have a car that overheats on our daily commute during warm weather isn't always the best compromise.

Just some food for thought.

Josh
JNZ Tuning, Inc.
www.jnztuning.com
Some wise thoughts.
Similar to our thread I posted above.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Talon_66
Im looking at upgrading the intercooler on the EVO X.

Both AGP and AMS FMICs are the same size. Can anyone shed some light as to which one would be the better buy?

Only difference I see is a $200 price tag difference.
Man, one of the first Evo's in Edmonton and it will be fully upgraded by the time mine even gets here...

Hopefully I can get some "local" tips off you someday... Good luck!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 08:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our cores have been proven to make big power and big results.

When shopping for an IC core dont just look at numbers look at real world experiences.

our EVO X core is the same core we use on our EVO VIII. Proven to over 600whp and the Very same core we run on our Time attack EVO VIII.

There are claims...and then there is proof

Eric
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
Our cores have been proven to make big power and big results.

When shopping for an IC core dont just look at numbers look at real world experiences.

our EVO X core is the same core we use on our EVO VIII. Proven to over 600whp and the Very same core we run on our Time attack EVO VIII.

There are claims...and then there is proof

Eric
So many decisions!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:38 PM

AMS= "bar & plate" core similar to precision. AGP= from what it looks like in the picture "tube & fin" core like the stock one but possibly thicker. Im not saying the AGP core isn't better than stock, but it might limit higher horsepower unlike the AMS core. Someone please correct me if im wrong
Old Mar 19, 2008, 09:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PaulWalker
AMS= "bar & plate" core similar to precision. AGP= from what it looks like in the picture "tube & fin" core like the stock one but possibly thicker. Im not saying the AGP core isn't better than stock, but it might limit higher horsepower unlike the AMS core. Someone please correct me if im wrong

The AGP FMIC is a US made Bar and Plate core. We pressure test each one to 50psi before it ships to assure it is leak free. One thing that may make a difference is the 3" outlet on ours will mate to the stock 'cold side' pipe with a reducer(included) and mate directly to our 3" mandrel bent 'cold side' pipe that will be out in a couple weeks.

Kevin@AGP

Quick Reply: AGP vs AMS FMIC