Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Should my turbo feel like this?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure someone will tell you that the dealership has to PROVE said mod made X-part fail. Well in the real world, that requires laywers and fees that cost more than just having it fixed youself. Some dealers are more leanant than others. I have two dealers by me, the one where I bought the car said an airfilter will void it. The other is cool with basic mods. Talk to your dealers GM Mechanic. It's not very hard to remove basic mods but, it depends on the dealerships.

I personaly am holding off modding the car for a number of reasons, A. I am poor now that I bought a 35k car. B. First year gen. C. Its still a baby

To answer your question, no. But it's safe to think "yes".. Call or vist your dealership and just talk and hang out with them to see what you can do. Little hint to dealerships; Make a scene if you want things done.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
A boost controller might help also. I have an EBC and it pulls harder then it did stock because it doesnt tamper down to 13 any more it only tampers down to about 18.
+1
I'm about to invest in one of these pretty soon!
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

I'm having the same issue! I noticed it a while ago, but it was sporadic, only happening once in a while. It used to be barely noticeable. Driving home from work today, I noticed the car sputtering Dramatically when revved to 5K and past. It feels like the engine is cutting in and out, and bucking. It's horrible. I honestly don't think I can even drive the car like this till the issues fixed. I called the dealership and they said bring it in on a dry day so they can test it. I have an appointment for Thursday morning. I have a long commute everyday (roughly 40 miles one way) and I can't deal with this issue till Thursday. I have a feeling the issue wont be resolved when I bring it there either. I'm actually very pissed off about this. Phewww, sorry to vent guys, I'm just frustrated.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JmurphSTI
I'm having the same issue! I noticed it a while ago, but it was sporadic, only happening once in a while. It used to be barely noticeable. Driving home from work today, I noticed the car sputtering Dramatically when revved to 5K and past. It feels like the engine is cutting in and out, and bucking. It's horrible. I honestly don't think I can even drive the car like this till the issues fixed. I called the dealership and they said bring it in on a dry day so they can test it. I have an appointment for Thursday morning. I have a long commute everyday (roughly 40 miles one way) and I can't deal with this issue till Thursday. I have a feeling the issue wont be resolved when I bring it there either. I'm actually very pissed off about this. Phewww, sorry to vent guys, I'm just frustrated.
Hey man, hang in there. We all suffer from this issue. The car stutters up top and loses steam. Mitsu will not help you just to let you know. For right now just get a intake and maybe MBC for a temp fix. Hopefully mitsu will come out with a reflash soon for the ECU and call people back...I think I will prefer to just get it tuned by a performance shop myself though. This running rich thing might actually come in handy and pull more power with tunes.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by love9sick
Hey man, hang in there. We all suffer from this issue. The car stutters up top and loses steam. Mitsu will not help you just to let you know. For right now just get a intake and maybe MBC for a temp fix. Hopefully mitsu will come out with a reflash soon for the ECU and call people back...I think I will prefer to just get it tuned by a performance shop myself though. This running rich thing might actually come in handy and pull more power with tunes.
This isn't just a slight stutter and loss of steam. My whole car bucks, and cuts off fuel. My RPM's will drop and flutter back up. The car is barely drivable above 5,000rpms. I'm even starting to notice it slightly in the lower rpms as well. I had an electrical issue like this in my STi. The suby would torque the engine so much it starting ripping some of the wires. Every time I revved the car, the engine would tug the wires causing them to seperate. Although I highly doubt this is anything like that. But anyways, I feel I shouldn't have to try and solve this issue myself. This is not normal. But I'll just have to be patient and wait for a reflash.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct me if i'm wrong, but tell-tale sign they are running too rich should be fouled plugs, no? also, wouldn't increasing the spark plug gap about 0.02" help with the problem? i doubt the spark would be "blown out" at stock boost levels, even when gapped slightly over stock. also, maybe even try a hotter plug?
Old Mar 31, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JmurphSTI
This isn't just a slight stutter and loss of steam. My whole car bucks, and cuts off fuel. My RPM's will drop and flutter back up. The car is barely drivable above 5,000rpms. I'm even starting to notice it slightly in the lower rpms as well. I had an electrical issue like this in my STi. The suby would torque the engine so much it starting ripping some of the wires. Every time I revved the car, the engine would tug the wires causing them to seperate. Although I highly doubt this is anything like that. But anyways, I feel I shouldn't have to try and solve this issue myself. This is not normal. But I'll just have to be patient and wait for a reflash.
How much are your RPMS dropping? I get stuttering and RPM hicups as if fuel cut off. It is also slower than it should be up there. Though if it completely drops your RPM and feels like the car shut off than go to the dealer ASAP.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IT's your ghey drive by wire bro sorry to inform you..
Old Mar 31, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by love9sick
How much are your RPMS dropping? I get stuttering and RPM hicups as if fuel cut off. It is also slower than it should be up there. Though if it completely drops your RPM and feels like the car shut off than go to the dealer ASAP.
My rpm's drop about 500-1000. I actually just took the car for another ride and it wasn't really doing it. I felt it at first, but after about five minutes it mostly went away. I would still feel it slightly now and then, but for the most part it stopped. I'm still going to bring it to the dealership though. I figure the more people complain about it, the faster a reflash will be out.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 01:47 PM

man.. i'm glad i found out about this before I picked it up.. is it really that noticeable?
Old Apr 1, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JaYxEvOIX
man.. i'm glad i found out about this before I picked it up.. is it really that noticeable?
Yes it is. I would still pick it up anyways.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

you can complain all you want and the reflash wont be out faster...

its pending government approval and is said to be due out late this month early may.

if you dont want to spend the $25 for a k&n cone filter cause youre afraid of voiding the warranty, pony up the $130 for the works drop in filter.

both will take care of the issue 95% (you still get a slight stutter up top in like 4th), just make sure to reset the ecu by unplugging the battery for a few minutes.

i almost have 7500 miles on my car with no issues.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

my dealer said as long as you do not pass any of the sensors you can put anything i asked him to clarify and he said it would be easier to explain in person so im going to swing by on wed
Old Apr 3, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

ok saw my service manager and good friend he showed me just the air filter in all the exhaust sensors so just an air filter and cat back and i will be safe under warranty
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex_silver
ok saw my service manager and good friend he showed me just the air filter in all the exhaust sensors so just an air filter and cat back and i will be safe under warranty
So a catback keeps warranty at all mitsu dealers?

Quick Reply: Should my turbo feel like this?