Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Should my turbo feel like this?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2008, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am having the same issue as well..
Old Apr 5, 2008, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JmurphSTI
I'm having the same issue! I noticed it a while ago, but it was sporadic, only happening once in a while. It used to be barely noticeable. Driving home from work today, I noticed the car sputtering Dramatically when revved to 5K and past. It feels like the engine is cutting in and out, and bucking. It's horrible. I honestly don't think I can even drive the car like this till the issues fixed. I called the dealership and they said bring it in on a dry day so they can test it. I have an appointment for Thursday morning. I have a long commute everyday (roughly 40 miles one way) and I can't deal with this issue till Thursday. I have a feeling the issue wont be resolved when I bring it there either. I'm actually very pissed off about this. Phewww, sorry to vent guys, I'm just frustrated.

Took the words out of my mouth! I have heard everyone talking about this but never had it happen to me yet because I have not gotten on the car all the way. Well tonight I finally put the gas to the floor and it is sputters bad up top. After 5k the car jerked and ran like crap. I could not beleive that Mitsu would release a car like this! What did they do, let a kid fresh out of school tune this thing???? This is very embarassing for Mitsu.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The works filter solves this problem completely. All of the Xs buck and hesitate past 5.5k, this is normal. It's just overly rich and is easily corrected.You know what's funny, though? Do you guys remember reading the first motor trend pre-production review in which they mentioned this exact thing hurting the 0-60 times, and that mitsu said that they were aware of the problem and would have it fixed by production. Well, I guess they decided to say **** it, we'll fix it later. Hence, this "supposed" reflash that's coming out "soon." Oh well, BMWs have as many or more problems than the evo seems to have, so I guess it just goes to show that no car is perfect. Every time I take the car in a corner it makes me smile. Every times I look at it in my garage it makes me smile. So I had to buy a works drop in filter to lean the car out enough to run correctly, worse things have happened. They will probably never come out with this "reflash," nor will they ever cover anything under warranty because they don't want to spend money if they don't have to. This matters not to me, because the car is pretty mechanically sound, and aside from the ecu tuning and the notchy tranny, there really isn't anything wrong with the car. Plus, I have a vehicle warranty program in my insurance plan that will cover anything from the stereo to the tranny for 7 years/ 100,000 miles! Ah, now that's peace of mind.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Apr 5, 2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

I am going to order the filter on Monday. I really did not think it was going to be that bad until I finally floored it tonight and it blew my mind how much it stuttered.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good read. Drove one at the dealer today, noticed the problem right away. Went and drove the owner of the dealership's car and his did it too. I wanted to make sure there wasnt a problem with just the one car.

We will have the ecu fix for this in upcoming weeks. Stay tuned.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

The Factory "tune"

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Good read. Drove one at the dealer today, noticed the problem right away. Went and drove the owner of the dealership's car and his did it too. I wanted to make sure there wasnt a problem with just the one car.

We will have the ecu fix for this in upcoming weeks. Stay tuned.
I am a little confused here after bringing this thread to Sam's (@South Coast) attention. He indicated to me this week that this "problem" was corrected two weeks ago and was available at the dealership. It still is amazing to me that one has to go through this lousy OEM "tune" on a new car! Hopefully when I get mine many of these factory issues will be resolved.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:32 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would suspect that if it there was an update, then there would be a TSB and all cars updated.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

I would suspect that if it there was an update, then there would be a TSB and all cars updated.
Yea, there is no such thing here. In fact when I talked to the dealer here when I visited it just yesterday they seemed clueless to the entire issue .

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
The works filter solves this problem completely.
I think the cone filter helps just as much. The stutter is still there once in a while and you can still feel the car just completely taper, lose power, and run rich up top. Sorry people but a re-flash from the dealer, a tune, or a piggy back are the only way to really get this COMPLETELY gone
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

The Factory "Tune" Corrected?

These are Sam's words: "They took care of that issue [those in this thread] like 2 weeks ago. All the dealers have the updated ecu flash ".
Old Apr 6, 2008, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
These are Sam's words: "They took care of that issue [those in this thread] like 2 weeks ago. All the dealers have the updated ecu flash ".
We would know about this by now.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

I'm going to pick up my X tomorrow, I'll inquire to see if they know what I'm talking about, or have heard of any "reflash". Stay tuned.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 08:02 PM
Account Disabled

I noticed the same issue with my car and concluded it was the wastegate . We did everything I could using a Greddy EBC and nothing worked . For me the issue came about when I began to run 21lbs . At 18.5 lbs I ran a 13.3 at 104 and at 21lbs I ran a 13.3 @ 105 with the car having the problem . I now run a Forge wastegate I made a custom bracket for and that solved my issue 100% . Hope that helps if thats is indeed the same issue you're having ; as it was stated it does seem to be the very same issue .

We should have some wastegates this coming week
Old Apr 6, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

The better question is if they do have the re-flash...do we want it? I mean it could possible lose all that potential all those tunes we keep hearing about give it. What happens when I get the re flash and than order the Vishnu tune which leans it out...boom to motor or what? Will the gains stack with the re-flash? I just have some of these question that plague me.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

What about all the vendors that have these cars, what is their take on this? I dont remember hearing them say anything about this. Speak up
Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
What about all the vendors that have these cars, what is their take on this? I dont remember hearing them say anything about this. Speak up
very true, i wonder if the vendors are aware of this issue...

honestly my car feels slow, and its just not smooth through the rpm's..... and its begining to wear on me. and after i put an exhaust on, the rich mixture is causing my rear bumper to get black sh** all over it...

car is too dam rich! Alot of people are saying the X likes it rich, i disagree completley...no turbo car ive owned likes it too rich... running a bit rich is for saftey leaner A/F make more power, its proven.....you dont want to run too lean and start detonating, but you dont want to run too rich and start missfiring, i believe the x miss fires, the car also pulls alot of timing too.

but im waiting for the perrrin/cobb access port for my X, i dont want to cut any wires...

Quick Reply: Should my turbo feel like this?