Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Should my turbo feel like this?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2008, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should my turbo feel like this?

Is my turbo supposed to pull evenly up to redline? I know it falls off as the RPMs climb, but shouldnt it still be smooth and consistent? Mine is really spurty. It pulls hard in little bouncy spurts as you step on the gas and the RPMs climb. Is this normal or ...?

The sensation is like what it would feel like if you were loosing grip while trying to accelerate really quickly... bouncy in the acceleration, like little cuts in the power. Hopefully someone understand what Im trying to explain.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

i dont know what the problem is...but from what it sounds like... something is not working as it should...my car dosent pull like that... is this only full throttle or just all the time?
Old Mar 28, 2008, 05:44 PM

If you're talking about it pulling unevenly in full throttle, what you're experiencing is normal for an Evo X. Reason being, Mitsubishi made it run very rich so it feels bouncy. From hear-say, it's said that they will be releasing a retune to fix this issue.

Don't be alarmed. But remember, you have a warranty, use it. The more people that take their X's to their dealerships, the faster the issue will be resolved.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:13 PM

I concure, it is the pig-rich AF mix. Mine hits a blip around 6500 rpm. Around 3000rpm the car should start to "pull" more and more till the boost starts to tapper off, take a look at the dyno graphs, at ?6000rpm?. So yes it should be smooth and not jerky.

Reason being, my thoughts, Fuel Vapor is more flamable than fuel itself. When you have a "rich" mixture, meaning to much fuel, it will not ignite correctly. 12:1 is Ideal, infact "In Naturally Aspirated engines powered by octane, maximum power is frequently reached at AFRs ranging from 12.5 - 13.3:1 or λ of 0.85 - 0.901."-wikipeadia. It's hard to gauge the exact AFR so I've been told 12:1 is ideal but reach for 11:1 to be safe. As the more fuel you add the cooler the engine will run. I believe one preformance shop suggested that the EvoX runs better richer than leaner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-fuel_ratio

Or I could be wrong.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolutionrx8
Is my turbo supposed to pull evenly up to redline? I know it falls off as the RPMs climb, but shouldnt it still be smooth and consistent? Mine is really spurty. It pulls hard in little bouncy spurts as you step on the gas and the RPMs climb. Is this normal or ...?

The sensation is like what it would feel like if you were loosing grip while trying to accelerate really quickly... bouncy in the acceleration, like little cuts in the power. Hopefully someone understand what Im trying to explain.
I have the same thing! I thought and think that this is the running rich and boost tapering to as low as 13 psi. Either we tune our cars when the tuning software is released, Lean them out as much as possible with air mods, or wait for a hopfully reflash from the mitsu dealers. It feels like the car runs ****ty after 5-5.5k rpm for me.

Last edited by love9sick; Mar 28, 2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't sound right bro use the warranty
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ferraritech
Don't sound right bro use the warranty
You don't even have one. They are ALL running like that.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:47 PM

Mine feels somewhat sporadic under load in high rpm's as well. This has been discussed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a couple of shops and some people have mentioned that adding an intake, catback and or MBC will help it run leaner and remedy the stuttering your referring to.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:33 PM

Mike runs like crap under full throttle in higher rpms too.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Keepster13
Reason being, my thoughts, Fuel Vapor is more flamable than fuel itself. When you have a "rich" mixture, meaning to much fuel, it will not ignite correctly. 12:1 is Ideal, infact "In Naturally Aspirated engines powered by octane, maximum power is frequently reached at AFRs ranging from 12.5 - 13.3:1 or λ of 0.85 - 0.901."-wikipeadia. It's hard to gauge the exact AFR so I've been told 12:1 is ideal but reach for 11:1 to be safe. As the more fuel you add the cooler the engine will run. I believe one preformance shop suggested that the EvoX runs better richer than leaner.

Or I could be wrong.
This is not entirely correct. Naturally aspirated engines are the most happy around the stoic level of 14.7. Forced induction brings things down and 12.5 - 13.3 sounds about right. 11 to 1 is still pretty nice ratio and far from being rich for the normal 93 octane gas on the forced car and we agree on that one!

Fedja
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

i have same problems! normal for the evo x. just waiting for a ecu reflash and a good tbe
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Evolutionrx8

A boost controller might help also. I have an EBC and it pulls harder then it did stock because it doesnt tamper down to 13 any more it only tampers down to about 18.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 01:54 AM
Evolved Member

future ECU reflash from mitsu VS. mods intake/exhaust. Which one to solve this problem? My reason for the question is that once I get mods I don't want to show up with them on my car at the mitsu dealer for the reflash..if you guys get my drift. So if I mod my car and the re-flash comes out I probably will not show up for it.

Originally Posted by Massappeal
just waiting for a ecu reflash
Same here.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 02:09 AM

I don't know why I have a feeling that its normal but when u get it tuned this will feel different.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 09:06 AM

I want to modify the intake and exhaust. Ive never modified any of my sports cars before as I am not mechanically inclined, but I know that the Evo will be my introduction to it. My only hesitation is the warranty thing. Which wouldnt really be as much of an issue if the car was not a first year car.

Is the warranty void if I do anything to the car? Im assuming yes.

Quick Reply: Should my turbo feel like this?