Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

tranny fluid change for X

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My only concern now isn't the GL-4 rating, but the weight. The BG is a 75W80 just like the factory calls for, but the AMSOIL MTG is a 75W90, but is certified to use where a 75W85 is called for. It's so close, but makes me nervous nonetheless. That's great to hear about your tranny though. I'm willing to bet that in the next day or so of driving after that stuff really coats everything and soaks into the metals I bet your notchiness will be 100 % gone. Let us know.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been using Amsoil in all my cars and have recommended them to all my customers and everyone has loved their products. Amsoil FTW.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I figured why not and decided to be the mule. I put the BG in early tonight. I have been driving the car around in the city for several miles to see the difference. But I could feel it coming right out of my driveway.

Its _substantially_ better with the BG. My car would notch into second at high RPM. Not anymore. It still is a tiny bit notchy into second and third from 2000-3500rpm, but so much less. If I rev to 4k to upshift, its almost perfect. It never feels quite as nice as my IX transmission did, but it is much better than it has ever been.

I have a pretty strong suspicion that the clutch is dragging in these cars. I think that is why the problem is so widespread. Don't get me wrong, the fluid change produced amazing results, but I would like to know what the deal really is.

I didn't want to post this up, but who cares? The car should have GL-4 in it. The trans is very similar to the IX trans, and that had GL-4. Its the exact same weight as the stock stuff, and makes the car much better to drive.

I bet the Amsoil stuff would be worth every penny. If its even a smidge better than the BG Synchroshift II, it would probably feel exactly like a IX transmission.

The change is a snap if you have the right tools. The undertray in this car is much nicer to take off than the PITA one on the IX.
You should write us a how to
Old Apr 12, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

I am having a hard time believing a GL-3 Rating in a Synchro Tranny.... There is Brass/Bronze in there and a GL-3 is not rated for Non-Ferrous Metals.

A GL-5 lube usually Supercedes GL-1, GL-2 and GL-3. But, GL-4 is on it's own as it is safe for Brass/Bronze... Usually what Synchro's are made from.

I will be on the phone with my Driveline guy on Monday... If they dug themselves out of the snow yet..

I see concern for a specific weight but not the GL Rating... ?? Should be the other way around.... My 3 Trucks call for a 75W-140 and they all have AMSOIL SVG 75W-90 in them.. the one has 345,000 miles on it.

My Motorcycle call for 20W-50 or 75W-90 for the tranny and I have 75W-140 in it...

Just for starters, you can jump a minimum of one grade either direction with a True Synthetic...

Doc

Old Apr 12, 2008, 07:33 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Oil Doc
I am having a hard time believing a GL-3 Rating in a Synchro Tranny....
I anticipated this, but am prepared. Find these two different pages from the 2008 Lancer Evolution X manual. Sorry for the gigantic pictures.

Let us know what you think.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

I'm new to Evo modding and have no idea to start, but putting new tranny fuid in would be nice....maybe soften the gear box cruches. However I have 6 bottles of Red Line MT-90 laying around. Would that be ok to use?
Old Apr 12, 2008, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO!!!!!! Use MTL if you are dead set on redline stuff, but AMSOIL is better stuff and the MTG is looking to be a much better fit. EVO guys have used BG synchroshift 2 for years and had great results and noize is runnig it in his X with great results. I'm either gonna go with that stuff or the AMSOIL MTG once Doc checks with his driveline guys to give it the ok.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
NO!!!!!! Use MTL if you are dead set on redline stuff, but AMSOIL is better stuff and the MTG is looking to be a much better fit. EVO guys have used BG synchroshift 2 for years and had great results and noize is runnig it in his X with great results. I'm either gonna go with that stuff or the AMSOIL MTG once Doc checks with his driveline guys to give it the ok.

That will be first thing Monday morning....That is as long as they dug their way out of the snow... I still want to know for positive that it says GL-3 in the service manual... not making sense to me.... Maybe I haven't looked at the classifications for GL in too long...

On a seperate note.... The last place I would go is Wikipedia when I need facts.... That place is full of as much or more misinformation as correct information.

Doc
Old Apr 13, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
That will be first thing Monday morning....That is as long as they dug their way out of the snow... I still want to know for positive that it says GL-3 in the service manual... not making sense to me.... Maybe I haven't looked at the classifications for GL in too long...

On a seperate note.... The last place I would go is Wikipedia when I need facts.... That place is full of as much or more misinformation as correct information.

Doc
^^^ Noize posted pics that proves that GL-3 in recommended in the service manual
Old Apr 13, 2008, 04:41 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Rudager
^^^ Noize posted pics that proves that GL-3 in recommended in the service manual
Eh, he means the actual service manual for the car, not the owner's manual. I'm inclined to agree with him and it is definitely to check to see if they match. Its possible that the DiaQueen New Multi Gear Oil really is a GL-4 and the owner's manual is a misprint or that the recommendation in the owners manual is just flat out wrong and the service manual will be revised.

I would be very interested to know if what we have in there is really a GL-3.

I've driven my car more this weekend, and while it is a lot better, there is still a notch at low RPM sometimes. I still think there is some clutch drag going on in these cars.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Taken right from the tech manual.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
MANUAL TRANSAXLE 22A.doc (38.0 KB, 32 views)
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:12 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Taken right from the tech manual.
Well Oil Doc, now you have matching shop manual and owners manual data. Please take this to your contact at Amsoil and let us know what you find out.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

You know I will... As I said... I haven't had to deal with the Specs on Gear lube in some time. You never know when something new has come down the Pike.

If they changed the material, that could change the Spec of the lube..

Hopefully, we will find out tomorrow and I will post whatever I find out probably tomorrow evening.

Doc
Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

This is old but interesting info from the standards people themselves.
As of 1995 GL-3 was not in use as a standard.

http://www.api.org/certifications/en...pload/1560.pdf
Old Apr 14, 2008, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

I thought that I was maybe suffering from a worse case of sometimers than I was.

My Driveline guy is checking this out right now to see if we are going to "Officially" recommend a product.

As I think I said in another post, it looks like Mits is trying to keep people "In House" by using an obscure rating, just as Hyundai does with an "SG" rated oil which is today, basically a MotorCycle oil as it is a rating straight from the mid 90's.

Anyhow, As this is a new vehicle and the Specs have not been published yet, he is trying to get the Exact Spec from Mits.

I'll Be Back,

Doc

Quick Reply: tranny fluid change for X