Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

tranny fluid change for X

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tranny fluid change for X

I heard a rumor in another thread that mitsu is aware of the notchy problem and has been investigating redline fluids as a possible solution. I don't know if this is true, but these 2 oils seem like they would be the most likely oils that they are experimenting with. MTL, which is a 70W80 sounds like it would be a good fit. Also check out the lightweight gear oil, which is a 75W80. I believe that either one of these would be fine for the car, and both are the same weight, with the exception that the MTL has better cold flow properties. I am considering changing over to this, but need to do more research first. BTW for anyone not aware, unlike the 8 and 9, the X calls for a 75W80 transmission fluid. Let me know what you guys think.

MTL FLUID
http://redlineoil.com/products_gearl...p?categoryID=7

Lightweight gear oil link
http://redlineoil.com/products_gearl...5&categoryID=6
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although admittedly never owned an Evo, I've also had problems with notchy gearboxes in the past (not by abuse). I was trying to find a fix for my Audi's grinding gearbox six years ago when someone recommended Amsoil. After locating the importer, I paid him a visit and he suggested I used Redline instead. The problem was 90% fixed and I've always used MTL on manual transmissions since (I've been using it on my 996 for over 2 years now without any issue). It's a great product and it is certainly worth a try. As far as gear oil is concerned, I was very happy with the Redline 75W90NS but that was on a "yuppie" quattro drivetrain. The 75W90 (no NS) which is for LSDs might suit some of Evo's diffs better.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

give it a shot and let us know
Old Apr 8, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

I might just do that... Anyone else have any experience with these oils?
Old Apr 8, 2008, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I might just do that... Anyone else have any experience with these oils?
I don't do Redline, but if you want to try AMSOIL, let me know.. I have switched some EVO owners from the Redline and they have noticed a marked improvement especially when the tranny is cold...

AMSOIL MTG is Specifically designed for Synchro Mesh Transmissions..

http://bestoil4you.com/MTG_Specs.html

http://bestoil4you.com/files/g2457GearLube.pdf See how some of the Gear Lubes rate... Most do not even meet the Specs on the Bottle..

Thanks, Doc

Last edited by Oil Doc; Apr 8, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 09:43 PM

go for it!
Old Apr 8, 2008, 09:51 PM
s8n

Hey Oil Doc, can you PM me the cost? I don't own an evo yet, but I have another car that needs a good 75w90 Synthetic fluid that is compatible with brass synchro's. I'm running some Pennzoil synchromesh and I like how it performs when cold... but when it gets warm it gets pretty notchy.

Last edited by s8n; Apr 8, 2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: grass... brass... what's the difference?
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Doc, that comparison really sold me. I already run AMSOIL for my engine oil, and wanted to run it in the tranny but coudn't find a 75W80, which is was the X calls for. It's different for the 9, which called for the typical 75W90, and I really want to stay with the correct weight/viscocity for my tranny. Do you guys have a competition grade/top of the line tranny fluid in this weight? I want the best stuff that you guys got. Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Doc, that comparison really sold me. I already run AMSOIL for my engine oil, and wanted to run it in the tranny but coudn't find a 75W80, which is was the X calls for. It's different for the 9, which called for the typical 75W90, and I really want to stay with the correct weight/viscocity for my tranny. Do you guys have a competition grade/top of the line tranny fluid in this weight? I want the best stuff that you guys got. Thanks.

The MTG does meet both Specs.... I have sold a lot ov EVOm members that exact fluid and not had one complaint... I think if there was a problem, it would be all over the boards....

Even the one's I have switched over that were running MT90 said they noticed a difference especially when the tranny is still cold..

I have a contact that is former DSM and will double check with him... He went to work for AMSOIL a few months back..

Doc

Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by s8n
Hey Oil Doc, can you PM me the cost? I don't own an evo yet, but I have another car that needs a good 75w90 Synthetic fluid that is compatible with brass synchro's. I'm running some Pennzoil synchromesh and I like how it performs when cold... but when it gets warm it gets pretty notchy.

I am sorry, some how I missed this.... Please send me eith a PM or Email is Preferred, on what your car is, I have several fluids that fit different applications..

It is easy to sell someone what they want, I want to make sure it is the proper fluid...

Thanks, Doc
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
The MTG does meet both Specs.... I have sold a lot ov EVOm members that exact fluid and not had one complaint... I think if there was a problem, it would be all over the boards....

Even the one's I have switched over that were running MT90 said they noticed a difference especially when the tranny is still cold..

I have a contact that is former DSM and will double check with him... He went to work for AMSOIL a few months back..

Doc

But doesn't the evo8 and 9 call for a 75W90? MTG is the correct manufacturer specified weight for that application, but the X is different in that it calls for a 75W80. Is it safe to run that stuff? I asked mitsu corporate and they said that using any fluid other than the factory fluid will void the warranty. Can they do that? That seems ridiculous to me, but they also say that a drop in k & n filter will void the warranty as well, which is even more ridiculous.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

......................waiting for a EVO X owner to try this and let me know how it works. Today it was like 80 degrees out and my tranny shifted like butter. So the cold in my opinion really has a effect on the notchyness of my trans.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

But doesn't the evo8 and 9 call for a 75W90? MTG is the correct manufacturer specified weight for that application, but the X is different in that it calls for a 75W80. Is it safe to run that stuff? I asked mitsu corporate and they said that using any fluid other than the factory fluid will void the warranty. Can they do that? That seems ridiculous to me, but they also say that a drop in k & n filter will void the warranty as well, which is even more ridiculous.
It is Absolutely 100% against the Law for them to say that... If you were to get anybody with some kind of authority to say that and put it in writing, the Law clearly stated that they would have to supply your fluids for the life of the warranty.. I'll bet money that if you asked whoever you spoke to, "Who Makes The Mits Fluids ?" They would say Mitsubishi does...

The other question... Fluids can qualify for more than 1 rating... I have an oil that will qualify for a Straight 30 weight and a 10W-30 ...

Remember my gear lube tests ?....

http://bestoil4you.com/files/g2457GearLube.pdf

Look at the graphs where these gear lubes start and end up... I can put Maple Syrup in a bottle, add a little Sulpher for sniff factor and call it gear lube and put any grade on it I want to... No Governing Body to stop me..

Doc

Last edited by Oil Doc; Apr 10, 2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:26 AM

I can only agree with Doc's last comment!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

You don't agree with the rest of my post ? Only the Maple Syrup part ?

Doc

Quick Reply: tranny fluid change for X