Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

open atm BOV on X

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its YOUR CAR...... don't pay any attention to the gay *** comment above. Enjoy your car and have fun with it...... Hell if HKS use it on their lightly tuned cars and racecar including on there EVO X and GTR 35 that are lightly tuned........ then soooo be it . Thumbs us.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I am very impressed with the quality of your work. You made that intake by yourself, and built all that custom stuff for the starrion? You got some good fabricating skills man! Either way, I still would've designed a recirc port on the intake, because the car is already running very rich and when you let off the gas and the throttle plate closes, metered air is dumped into atmosphere and creates an overly rich condition because of excess fueling. This can cause backfiring, an can cause the motor to bog down between shifts which will hurt the overall performance of the car.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Apr 12, 2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Good work on the ride however the ssqv will leak under heavy boost. Mine started leaking at 32psi. Replaced it with a tial unit and voila...
Old Apr 12, 2008, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

I'm good with the stock BOV, seems like it can take 23+ psi with ease. Got to get me the bolt ons already and that darn flash from the dealer followed by a tune.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 01:15 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by turbo26tsi
you guys ought to watch slinging comments around like that.
1. Tell me how it makes it run richer having it open to atmosphere? I seem to see great gas mileage at speed, nothing is leaking under boost, so I'm still making same power.
2. Hey noobs, I am from the starion community with a 500hp 88 starion built and tuned by me. It takes some skill to build something like that yourself, have you guys built anything custom? try a powerplant noone makes mods for.

3. The bov was necessary b/c the intake pipe I designed and installed was not setup for recirculating.
4. My intake I built and cone filter cost less than most of you paid for just the cone filter.
Just thought I would share some info with you turdfergs, but apparently my post count isnt high enough to be taken seriously.

Great work! And who cares what people say on the forums. They're the same people who come to the local car meets and will say they love your HKS in person, but behind the computer bash it because it's the way its done on EvoM. This board is full of lemmings, don't mind them.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

well I think a respected employee at Buschur racing has the credentials to voice his opinion and expect it to at least be considered rather than writing him off as a noob and denying the fact that it will make your car run richer. and yes, that is a fact, I'm sure there is plenty of evidence all over the internet to back it up.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

OHHHH IN YOUR FACE...nice set up bro...keep up the good work...the 88 is wicked...vids?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:39 PM

1. Tell me how it makes it run richer having it open to atmosphere? I seem to see great gas mileage at speed, nothing is leaking under boost, so I'm still making same power.
2. Hey noobs, I am from the starion community with a 500hp 88 starion built and tuned by me. It takes some skill to build something like that yourself, have you guys built anything custom? try a powerplant noone makes mods for.

3. The bov was necessary b/c the intake pipe I designed and installed was not setup for recirculating.
4. My intake I built and cone filter cost less than most of you paid for just the cone filter.
Just thought I would share some info with you turdfergs, but apparently my post count isnt high enough to be taken seriously.

Mass air systems are definitely affected by venting a BOV to atmosphere. How much is debatable, but if you honestly don't think venting a BOV to atmosphere makes the car run richer when the bov vents in a MAF system then you should probably take the shortbus to work.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are probably used to just working on older cars. Not used to our sensitive mafs. Since your starion doesn't have an intake we can clearly see you don't have one. Your probably running speed density which a Vented valve is the way to go. I don't know but the way you came off shows that you learned most of what you know based from that car. Now you come over to a new evo and think the same rules apply. They don't. This is why people say this. You make it seem like everyone on here are idiots. You have no fact to base your knowledge on the statement you made. You used different parts. You don't own a wideband on your X to base any information on how it is reacting other than it sounds fine. But as stated by many it is not they're car so let him be slow.

Last edited by RevMoto; Apr 15, 2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

sick *** old school starion. But I agree with everyone else on here. the SSQ is not the valve of choice for the Evo platform. It has had numerous threads about idle stability issues and over rich conditions causing lack of performance.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
You could've at least got a REAL BOV like a TiAL instead of the piece of garbage known as the SSQV.

VTA BOVs are NOT recommended for our cars. I can only imagine what your AFR looks like between shifts since the X's already run stupid rich stock.

Like people have said, a lot of the old-school train of thought does not apply to our cars now.

Sick Starion, BTW.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 06:02 PM
Account Disabled

I have a tial vented to the atmosphere on my car. Works perfect.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

The HKS SSBOV will not crack open due to pressure until it cracks apart. However there is a very very slight leakage at pressures over 35 psi. In fact you wont find a DV or BOV that will hold boost better and still have the quick response on the HKS SSBOV. The only problem in this case is the VTA. Other than that it holds boost better and release quicker than almost anything available.

Brian
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
My TiAL holds boost better and responds just as quick if not quicker than the HKS I used to have on my DSM (which was promptly removed due to being a worthless piece of garbage).
Old Apr 19, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A BOV is stupid on an otherwise stock EVO.....
Geez even my girlfriend knows this

Quick Reply: open atm BOV on X