Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

open atm BOV on X

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008 | 09:33 AM
Veteran: Air Force

open atm BOV on X

Well I bought a hks ssqv for the evo x and installed it open to atmosphere without any problems. The only difference I notice is a high idle briefly when coming off the throttle hard. I have no idle drop or flucuations to report though. Haven't seen anybody install one to atmosphere yet and just wanted to share. I used ssqv b/c they can't leak. Their designed for the boost to push them shut under load for those not familiar with there design.

Sounds awesome aimed at the hood vent too!!!!

later,
Kevin
Old Apr 9, 2008 | 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbo26tsi
I used ssqv b/c they can't leak. Their designed for the boost to push them shut under load for those not familiar with there design.
I beg to differ, Try running high boost. They leak
Old Apr 9, 2008 | 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

you're actually hurting the performance of the car. This thing runs pig rich as it is so venting air it would normally use to the atm isnt helping.
Old Apr 10, 2008 | 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nez136
I beg to differ, Try running high boost. They leak
the high pressures SSQV don't leak maybe the regular ones, ive seen the High pressures taken to 30psi on gt35rs no problems
to the TS they make a recirc kit for the SSQV i reccomend buying it and useing it. as the X runs even richer with open atmosphere vent
Old Apr 10, 2008 | 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

I just wonder why you spent the $$$ on a BOV when that money could get you 45hp with an open element air filter and MBC with money spared. The stock BOV should hold 23psi, which is all you need.
Old Apr 10, 2008 | 07:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by beastlytalon
I just wonder why you spent the $$$ on a BOV when that money could get you 45hp with an open element air filter and MBC with money spared. The stock BOV should hold 23psi, which is all you need.
I agree.
Old Apr 10, 2008 | 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by beastlytalon

Because these type of people are more concerned with their car "sounding" fast than actually being fast or running correctly. We call them "ricers"
Old Apr 10, 2008 | 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Now thats FUNNY!!!
Old Apr 10, 2008 | 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
Because these type of people are more concerned with their car "sounding" fast than actually being fast or running correctly. We call them "ricers"
Very true. A intake pipe with cone filter will give you all the whoosh you need in my opinion. You don't wanna sound like an SRT Neon whooshing all day long.
Old Apr 10, 2008 | 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

It's funny how every generation of the EVO, has the same desire for the vented DV. It's always the first mod someone dose, with the same response.
Old Apr 11, 2008 | 04:52 PM
Veteran: Air Force

you guys ought to watch slinging comments around like that.
1. Tell me how it makes it run richer having it open to atmosphere? I seem to see great gas mileage at speed, nothing is leaking under boost, so I'm still making same power.
2. Hey noobs, I am from the starion community with a 500hp 88 starion built and tuned by me. It takes some skill to build something like that yourself, have you guys built anything custom? try a powerplant noone makes mods for.

3. The bov was necessary b/c the intake pipe I designed and installed was not setup for recirculating.
4. My intake I built and cone filter cost less than most of you paid for just the cone filter.
Just thought I would share some info with you turdfergs, but apparently my post count isnt high enough to be taken seriously.

Old Apr 11, 2008 | 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Read this:
http://jsalmi.com/bov/
Old Apr 11, 2008 | 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Looks like a nice job on the ol 2.6 but I still don't agree with the BOV on the X.
Old Apr 11, 2008 | 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbo26tsi
you guys ought to watch slinging comments around like that.
1. Tell me how it makes it run richer having it open to atmosphere? I seem to see great gas mileage at speed, nothing is leaking under boost, so I'm still making same power.
2. Hey noobs, I am from the starion community with a 500hp 88 starion built and tuned by me. It takes some skill to build something like that yourself, have you guys built anything custom? try a powerplant noone makes mods for.

3. The bov was necessary b/c the intake pipe I designed and installed was not setup for recirculating.
4. My intake I built and cone filter cost less than most of you paid for just the cone filter.
Just thought I would share some info with you turdfergs, but apparently my post count isnt high enough to be taken seriously.

oh! you guys just got Fed in the A! nice work bro..but IMO blow off valves are mostly noise makers.
Old Apr 11, 2008 | 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Pwned.

Quick Reply: open atm BOV on X