Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Works Short Shifter For 5 Speed.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gotcha
Old Apr 24, 2008, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Stan. I'll wait to hear more impressions, and may pick one up soon.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 03:55 AM
Evolving Member

i don't know if the shifter is any different for the evo, but this is a great upgrade for the gts (and other lancers). after looking more closely at it today, 3rd seems to be dead center and 5th is just slightly to the right, not as far away as it used to be.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Just installed the Works kit 2 days ago. Here's a quick DIY link over on 'X'. I took the pics after it was installed. 3rd and 5th gears are indeed 'closer' together. I went into 3rd a couple of times by mistake (instead of 5th) 'till I got used to it. Tight pattern and more effort to shift for sure. 2nd to 3rd is now much better...more positive

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4241

Last edited by MooseX; Apr 26, 2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How much shorter are these shift kits? They threw in the aluminum shift knob and ebrake so would it be worth just trying to cut down the stock shifter .5" - 1" and maybe tapping some more threads?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

hey guys did you get the short shifter to shorten at 15% or 30% im debating on the option and also does it really take that much more of an effort to shift with the 30%
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:37 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by starmax
man! now I'm gonna have to get this, plus a ARC knob and some sort of leather shift boot... I can't imagine spending $400 ($150 - short shifter, $150 - shift knob, $100 - shift boot) on just my shifter! Oy vay
yeah i went with the arc knob as well. titanium ftw
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BallinAssRSvIII
hey guys did you get the short shifter to shorten at 15% or 30% im debating on the option and also does it really take that much more of an effort to shift with the 30%
I had no idea works had an adjustment on their shifter... are you sure about this?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 08:29 AM

I got this installed when I got my flash from works. I also did the shifter bushings and clutch line bushings. All i can say is much better throws with positive shifting. And works short shifter is 30% throw, there is no adjustment on how short you want it to throw
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Been using it for about a month. Left and right is definitely shorter. Front and back rowing feels slightly shortened, but not too much. I had to re-learn how to shift from 2nd to 3rd because the short shifter tilts slightly to the left and 4th to 5th because 3rd and 5th is closer together. Like MooseX said in his review, if the shifter rod is any shorter it will be much harder to put it into gears, it is just right the way it is. I also installed shifter cage bushings as well which was much easier. Next up are the shifter linkage bushings .

The Works short shifter will not help with smoother shifting, but helps you get into gear faster by using less effort to get into gear because the gates will feel much closer together.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

edit: duplicate

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Jul 31, 2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ikuto
Been using it for about a month. Left and right is definitely shorter. Front and back rowing feels slightly shortened, but not too much. I had to re-learn how to shift from 2nd to 3rd because the short shifter tilts slightly to the left and 4th to 5th because 3rd and 5th is closer together. Like MooseX said in his review, if the shifter rod is any shorter it will be much harder to put it into gears, it is just right the way it is. I also installed shifter cage bushings as well which was much easier. Next up are the shifter linkage bushings .

The Works short shifter will not help with smoother shifting, but helps you get into gear faster by using less effort to get into gear because the gates will feel much closer together.
I have this shifter in my X and I don't know why you people think that the side to side movements are any closer, they're not. All that WORKS did is make the rod curve left about half an inch before going up to the shift knob. ALL OF THE GEARS HAVE BEEN MOVED TO THE LEFT, it has no effect on how close 1,3,5 or 2,4,6 are. That spacing is still proportional and it wouldn't make any sense why you guys say any different. The only thing that is changed is the distance going forward and back because all that a short throw shifter does is alter the fulcrum point by adding mechanical leverage. Ugh, trust me you are wrong. Anyway, for those that are considering getting this shifter, I think that you'll really enjoy it. The gate has been shifted closer to the driver for a more comfortable feel and the throw is nice and crisp.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

I had really good luck with the AMS underhood shifter busings and shortening the stock shifter by about a 1/2". My biggest problems with the stock setup was when taking the car to the dragstrip for the first time and trying to aggressively shift... the vague rubber feel of the gears really made it hard to pull off the 2 -> 3 shift. I had to force myself to calm down and pretend I was on a Sunday drive to get it to work. Now it's much cleaner shifting and the height along with the solid feel is making all the difference.

I may consider a Works or other short shifter in the future but for now it's much better than it was stock.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

30% give me 40 to 50% i guess i'll have to wait more.

http://www.maddogsts.com/pricing.php

I had these guys shifter on my SRT4 the 58% it was awesome.

Last edited by Papi4baby; Aug 1, 2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

That's a pretty severe reduction to pull off without having it effect shifting effort too much. While much of the throw is shorted by a different pivot point, you may be able to cut another 1/2" off the end of the Works shifter but I haven't seen how much thread is on those. Stock had about 1" total...

Quick Reply: Works Short Shifter For 5 Speed.