Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dynoed - Greddy Catback, HKS Drop In, and EVC 6 !!

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant be disappointed. I was the one that was skeptical to begin with. I told the guy at the dyno to quit lying to me. They were dynoing a lot of Evo 8 and 9s that day all the numbers on there seemed right in line, a few seemed kind of low. We didnt change anything in the calibration when we put mine one, just redid the RPM scale. They dont use an RPM pickup, they calibrate the car at 5000 RPM in the gear you are doing to dyno in. BTW, I dynoed in 3rd gear just like everyone else, and like we normally do there. I am probably the most skeptical one about my numbers.

If you look back at post#4 you can see where the car stands with respect to an Evo 8 and his mods. He was slightly faster, but it was suprisingly close.

Brian

Last edited by TURBODAWG; May 11, 2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old May 11, 2008, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got some sound videos
Old May 11, 2008, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
Cant be disappointed. I was the one that was skeptical to begin with. I told the guy at the dyno to quit lying to me. They were dynoing a lot of Evo 8 and 9s that day all the numbers on there seemed right in line, a few seemed kind of low. We didnt change anything in the calibration when we put mine one, just redid the RPM scale. They dont use an RPM pickup, they calibrate the car at 5000 RPM in the gear you are doing to dyno in. BTW, I dynoed in 3rd gear just like everyone else, and like we normally do there. I am probably the most skeptical one about my numbers.

If you look back at post#4 you can see where the car stands with respect to an Evo 8 and his mods. He was slightly faster, but it was suprisingly close.

Brian
You should find out why you car produces those numbers. It would be great to know so some of us can get better results as well. You didn't by any chance mess with the WG actuator rod did you?
Old May 11, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
On the way back, we did an acceleration comparison. Other car a 2003 Evo with Evo 9 turbo, 272 cams, TBE, FMIC, hardpiping, intake, MBC, and running 24 psi with a tune. He made 390 whp on the dyno. He gave me the hit, and I pulled out, then he finally caught me and pulled just by me at the top of the gear. Acceleration simulation done in 4th gear.
so I tuned evo with a 40 more whp and a stronger power band and a 300lb weight advantage was barely faster than your car? I call bs
Old May 11, 2008, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evilution310
so I tuned evo with a 40 more whp and a stronger power band and a 300lb weight advantage was barely faster than your car? I call bs
Read more carefully next time. They only raced in one gear and the 8 gave him the jump. Sounds right to me that it would take the 8 some time to catch up.
Old May 11, 2008, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Heres my guess on power:

HKS Filter: 10 whp
HKS EVC : Holds almost 18 psi, and more in the 6k area too. +20 whp
Greddy TiC: 15 whp

Member DRAG said he picked up 3 mph and .5 sec after the catback install. So maybe its more than 15 whp. Dont know.

So, my guess would be +45 whp over stock. Thats why I am as much of a skeptic as anyone. My wheels are 5 lbs lighter per wheel than stock, that should help with the drivetrain loss, but other than that, I havent done anything else.

No tricks up my sleeve on this one. Oh yeah, I forgot the Greddy Counterweighted shift knob.... Maybe thats the ringer I was missing. LOL

Brian
Old May 11, 2008, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A boost controller and a filter usually adds about 40 hp on the X, and with the addition of the catback you might be at about 50 hp over stock. The problem is that it doesn't pan out. If you are 50 hp over stock then how are you making 345 at the wheels when a stock X has less than 300 at the crank stock? Even with the mustang being calibrated to read like a dynojet, those numbers are still way higher than what the car is really making. On a dyno jet the X makes about 240+, and on a dyno dynamics or a mustang it makes about 215+. So if you are making around 50 hp over stock and the car makes 240 on a dyno jet, that should give you around 290 at the wheels. So I guess your numbers aren't that off, they're only about 55 hp higher than what you're actually making.
Old May 11, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best way to see what the real effects are is at the track. They extra HP will really show up in MPH even if you have a not so good launch.

I do not want to say yeah on neah as I personally know a guy who got an Evo VIII ringer, with minimal mods his car put down some numbers that were backed up on the track.
Old May 11, 2008, 08:51 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
People are too obsessed with the numbers. Look at the shape of the curve. The car needs a tune, badly. After that, it will pick up a good amount. As high as that dyno reads, it will probably make 400whp after the tune.

Good work and get her mapped soon!
Old May 11, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
Read more carefully next time. They only raced in one gear and the 8 gave him the jump. Sounds right to me that it would take the 8 some time to catch up.
read more carefully? look at this sentence "He gave me the hit, and I pulled out, then he finally caught me and pulled just by me at the top of the gear. Acceleration simulation done in 4th gear." that **** doesnt make any sense.
Old May 12, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evilution310
read more carefully? look at this sentence "He gave me the hit, and I pulled out, then he finally caught me and pulled just by me at the top of the gear. Acceleration simulation done in 4th gear." that **** doesnt make any sense.
What doesnt make sense? I hit the gas first in my Evo X. He then tried to catch up in his Evo 8 and did at the top of 4th gear. The entire simulation was done in 4th gear alone from around 3500 RPM to 7500 RPM.

FYI: For reference a car that made 420 whp on this dyno went to the shootout last year and made 380 whp on Bushurs dyno. So you can get an idea of the calibration.

Brian
Old May 12, 2008, 02:45 PM
Account Disabled

You're using quality JDM parts, and you're getting quality results.
I also believe the EVC6 can be calibrated to hold more boost but I
think you should carefully log it if you can. I've heard that the IDCs are
pretty high at your level of power. You might need some injectors if you are able to hold 20+ psi.
Old May 12, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by USP45
The best way to see what the real effects are is at the track. They extra HP will really show up in MPH even if you have a not so good launch.

I do not want to say yeah on neah as I personally know a guy who got an Evo VIII ringer, with minimal mods his car put down some numbers that were backed up on the track.
i agree. who cares what the dyno says as long as it makes the car faster. if it doesn't move like a car with 345 hp should, then who really cares how much hp it has right?
Old May 13, 2008, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by madfast
i agree. who cares what the dyno says as long as it makes the car faster. if it doesn't move like a car with 345 hp should, then who really cares how much hp it has right?
nice numbers brian and i knew nick would come back by as i was pushing you both rofl. but i do agree with madfast screw all these dyno numbers spectulation crap!!
Old May 13, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Nice work TURBODAWG! Hopefully you can get the EVC 6 hooked up to an RPM signal and tune see some more gains.

Quick Reply: Dynoed - Greddy Catback, HKS Drop In, and EVC 6 !!