Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Built my own intake tube today

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2008 | 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Built my own intake tube today

3.25" steel, has hose connections for BOV and PCV. I plan to run a T fitting to the boost solenoid line from the PCV bung on the intake tube in order to cut down on welding. I will have it powder coated when done, but first I have to go over the inside of the tube where the welds are with a roll sander. Just need to dislodge the scale inside the tubing, and smooth down a couple spots where I burned through with the TIG and had to fill holes. Made it out of steel for now since I didn't want to spend the money on aluminum (or go through the PITA which is butt welding aluminum) in case the initial layout was wrong. Grand total on components: a whole lot less than you can buy one for. Granted, you need about $4k worth in infrastructure and tools. I think I spent about 8 hours on it between yesterday and today.

Pics attached, more info about fabrication later, I'm kind of tired and it's past my bedtime.
Attached Thumbnails Built my own intake tube today-p5100379-2.jpg   Built my own intake tube today-p5100380-2.jpg   Built my own intake tube today-p5100381-2.jpg   Built my own intake tube today-p5110413-2.jpg   Built my own intake tube today-p5110415-2.jpg  

Old May 11, 2008 | 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

more pics
Attached Thumbnails Built my own intake tube today-p5110418-2.jpg   Built my own intake tube today-p5110425-2.jpg   Built my own intake tube today-p5110428-2.jpg   Built my own intake tube today-p5110429-2.jpg   Built my own intake tube today-p5110431-2.jpg  

Old May 11, 2008 | 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

more pics part 2
Attached Thumbnails Built my own intake tube today-p5110432-2.jpg   Built my own intake tube today-p5110437-2.jpg   Built my own intake tube today-p5110444-2.jpg  
Old May 11, 2008 | 08:28 PM

Nice, did you buy it bent or did you do that yourself?
Old May 12, 2008 | 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks, it's a pre bent 90.
Old May 12, 2008 | 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Good job, it's nice to see someone making their own parts. what else do you plan on making?
Old May 12, 2008 | 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoXstylin
Good job, it's nice to see someone making their own parts. what else do you plan on making?
Custom Exhaust I hope! hehe
Old May 12, 2008 | 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mightygnu
Custom Exhaust I hope! hehe
Very nice, hey gnu, maybe you could help me out, I've been trying to figure out a recirculating hose for by BOV (Greddy) since the stock one no longer works, I think I am just a tard, already cut up two different hoses but couldn't get it right. Your on SoCal right?

Peace

Wait, I think I am confused, I thought gnu was the fabricating OP, plus were talking EVO X's now. . . I must still be sleeping! LOL

Last edited by choicelaw; May 12, 2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old May 12, 2008 | 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Once this one is done I plan on making a couple other things:

1) air filter heat shield in engine bay -OR- cold air induction which places a cone filter in front of the driver's tire just behind the bumper cover. There is cover which can be removed from the bumper cover right next to the fog light which would be a good source of cold air in a high pressure zone. I'm leaning towards the second.
2) a 2.5" upper intercooler pipe. I have a stainless steel Bassani cat back for a 5.0 Mustang that's been sitting in my storage shed for about 5 years now, and I planned on using the bends from it to make a UICP. However, my dad told me I was nuts and should just sell the cat back on ebay and buy pre bent 45's to make the UICP. I may end up doing that ultimately, I can prob sell it and buy the bends and have $100 left over in my pocket.
3) cat back exhaust, test pipe, down pipe, but these will be several weeks out before I even start.

Three's more on the list, but by the time I'm done with these three, it will a long time from now.

choiceclaw, the BOV / bypass hose on the factory system is a 1.375" inner diameter. When I measured the BOV on my car it was a 34mm OD for the hose connections, but 1.375" fits fine. Check out McMaster Carr's website on the dry coolant silicone hose section to order it by the foot, www.mcmaster.com . It's hard to bend though, don't plan on bending it 90 degrees. Between the 1.375" ID hose and some pre bent aluminum 1.375" OD 90 degree tubing and t-bolt clamps / hose clamps, you can probably make something work. Although, reading your post a second time, you may have an Evo8/9, in which case, who knows, sorry.
Old May 12, 2008 | 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

i'm not really a "wonder garage" fan, but this looking good.
I hope it will working right too.
Old May 12, 2008 | 12:38 PM

is it working out?
Old May 12, 2008 | 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

I haven't run the car yet. Right now the tube has some weld scale inside that I don't want to suck through the turbo or engine. I need to sand it off the inside and then I will test run it. Once it test runs fine, and passes a leak test, I'll have it powder coated and install it permenantly.
Old May 14, 2008 | 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

I test ran the intake tube tonight. I ran it with the stock airbox and stock air filter. It has not yet been powdercoated, once I run it for a while I'll take it back off and drop it off at the local place.

It seems to be working fine, and the car *feels* like it has more power, but there are a few things I noticed.

1) It holds more boost at higher RPM. Not sure why, probably just there is more airflow available at high RPM to sustain higher boost. However, it could also be because the boost solenoid bleed line was left unattached. I ordered the parts to run the solenoid bleed line into the intake tube, but they haven't arrived yet. For now I just covered the open end of the solenoid bleed line with a small piece of cloth and zip tied the cloth on. Then I zip tied the line to a bracket on the strut tower so it wouldn't flop around too much.

2) The high RPM stutter is more noticable with the intake tube than with the stock tube. Not sure why again, but maybe it's more noticable if it's making more power. The factory reflash took care of 95% of the high PM stutter, but there's still some left.

3) I can hear the turbo spool much more easily now, and occasionally, the bypass valve makes a "pffffftttttt" sound. Not always though, just once in a while. Never heard the bypass valve with the stock intake tube. I don't think the boost is blowing back through the compressor, I guess I've never heard a recirculating bypass valve sound though, since my old turbocharged car (880 rwhp Mustang) had a BOV and it just kid of made a "puuuhhhh" sound.

4) My boost datalogger (my wife) said the gauge was going to max boost sooner, but frankly, I don't think she really remembers how soon boost came on before. I wish she had a higher sampling rate and better resolution.

I can't tell for sure if the car feels faster. Normally people say "oh it's a whole lot faster" but it's really just thier mind tricking them. I'd like to put it on a dyno at some point, but I'm going to wait until I have more things to test in a before/after situation, given that dynos tend to be expensive to rent. I know these types of parts normally do make power, as I have built alot of them for supercharged / turbocharged Mustangs in the past. I assume it's making more power, I just wish I had an idea of how much.

Maybe it's time to take it to the track and compare before/after trap speeds.
Old May 16, 2008 | 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

keep it up, i wont be happy if you stop your projects. but who cars about me. Do it for your car!
Old May 16, 2008 | 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evostang
4) My boost datalogger (my wife) said the gauge was going to max boost sooner, but frankly, I don't think she really remembers how soon boost came on before. I wish she had a higher sampling rate and better resolution.
Maybe you should see if you can warranty that in for a younger ... I mean newer model with more options and the higher resolution u need. :P rofl

Quick Reply: Built my own intake tube today