Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

First oil change Mobil 1 15w-50

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First oil change Mobil 1 15w-50

I think the X comes with 10w-30 no???

Anyways, I am gonna do my first oil change today at 1,900 moderately driven miles not past 5K rpm.

I have bought a evo 9 filter, will this be fine? Also I am going with Mobil 1 15w-50 due to the hot climate here, anyone have any warnings or opinions?

I will give my review after it's all said and done.

Thanks
Old May 15, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would advise against changing the weight of the oil. If you want to get some really good stuff, you can go with a performance 0w30 oil. Amsoil SSO is about the best suff on the planet, but it's pricey. It's what I run in my X and I highly recommend it. Keep in mind that the first number is the weight of the oil on startup, and the second is at operating temperature. The lower the first number the better it flows at startup and the better protection it offers when all the components are still cold. This is important because this is when most of the scuffing and scaring takes place in an engine. The car is designed to run on a 30 weight oil, and that's what I would stick with.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; May 15, 2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old May 15, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

I run mobil 15w 50w with lucas synthetic
Old May 15, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

I run Redline oil same specs as stock.
Old May 15, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by forreal
I think the X comes with 10w-30 no???

Anyways, I am gonna do my first oil change today at 1,900 moderately driven miles not past 5K rpm.

I have bought a evo 9 filter, will this be fine? Also I am going with Mobil 1 15w-50 due to the hot climate here, anyone have any warnings or opinions?

I will give my review after it's all said and done.

Thanks
I used 10w-30 & changed at 1900 too lol. filter is same for 9 and 10

You will need size 10mm wrench to open 9 bolts of view panel and sixe 17mm to open drain plug. make sure you buy the O ring from dealer.

Last edited by si_to_evo; May 15, 2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

If you can come up with a valid reason for going against what the engineers at Mitsubishi recommend, then go for it.
Old May 15, 2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I would advise against changing the weight of the oil. If you want to get some really good stuff, you can go with a performance 0w30 oil. Amsoil SSO is about the best suff on the planet, but it's pricey. It's what I run in my X and I highly recommend it. Keep in mind that the first number is the weight of the oil on startup, and the second is at operating temperature. The lower the first number the better it flows at startup and the better protection it offers when all the components are still cold. This is important because this is when most of the scuffing and scaring takes place in an engine. The car is designed to run on a 30 weight oil, and that's what I would stick with.
So basically your saying, when the oil is at operating temperature (warmed up) it's heavier (thicker) than at startup?
Old May 15, 2008, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 92gsxbaltimore
If you can come up with a valid reason for going against what the engineers at Mitsubishi recommend, then go for it.
Well I was basing my decision on the climate here, is that irrelevant to the oil?
Old May 15, 2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by si_to_evo
I used 10w-30 & changed at 1900 too lol. filter is same for 9 and 10

You will need size 10mm wrench to open 9 bolts of view panel and sixe 17mm to open drain plug. make sure you buy the O ring from dealer.
Thanks alot , I didn't know there was a plate blocking it! LOL.

I hope our dealer has those O rings, seeing that they don't officially carry the Evo X . Does any other mitsu vehicle share the same filter/O-ring?
Old May 15, 2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by OtownEvo
I run mobil 15w 50w with lucas synthetic
Thanks. Have you had any problems with it due to the oil? And what are your reasons for running 15w50?
Old May 16, 2008, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks alot , I didn't know there was a plate blocking it! LOL.

I hope our dealer has those O rings, seeing that they don't officially carry the Evo X . Does any other mitsu vehicle share the same filter/O-ring?
The O ring come attached to the filter box when you buy it from the dealer. IX and X are same filters and O rings i am not sure about other vehicles.
Old May 16, 2008, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by si_to_evo
The O ring come attached to the filter box when you buy it from the dealer. IX and X are same filters and O rings i am not sure about other vehicles.
I see it attached to the face of the filter, around the diameter of where the filter screws in. I think we may be using different packaged filters.

Thats whats I got.
Old May 16, 2008, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

The drain plug o-ring is not included at my dealership with filters, and has to be purchased separately.
Old May 16, 2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by 92gsxbaltimore
The drain plug o-ring is not included at my dealership with filters, and has to be purchased separately.
As in there is an O-ring for the drain plug on this ride? Can you show me a pic?
Old May 16, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

So basically your saying, when the oil is at operating temperature (warmed up) it's heavier (thicker) than at startup?
Exactly, This is what any modern multigrade oil is supposed to do. SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) ratings designate the oil’s viscosity; simply put - how thick or thin an oil is at a certain temperature. For example SAE 30 oil is “thinner” than SAE 50 oil. Because temperature affects how well oil flows, engine oil viscosity is usually rated at both high and low temperatures.

Modern multi-grade oils are designed to act like a thin oil when cold so that they can circulate through the engine quickly on start up, and like a thicker oil when hot, to provide the necessary engine protection. An example of a multi-grade oil designation is 10W-40. The 10W (W = winter) indicates how the oil would behave when cold, while the 40 is how it acts when hot.

This is why a 0w30 is such a good oil to choose because it provides unmatched protection on startup and still acts like a 30 weight oil when at operating temp. Plus, if you go with amsoil SSO like I recommended, it has the best base stocks and additives available, and is certified for competition use where high horsepower/heat will be present. I hope this helps you to make the best decision.

Quick Reply: First oil change Mobil 1 15w-50