Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

MBC/boost gauge hook up problem

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBC/boost gauge hook up problem

I connected my vacuum lines as follows.

Wastegate T'd with intercooler upper Hotpipe and to side of AMS MBC. Bottom of MBC goes to a T one to boost gauge sensor, the other goes to a T between BOV and motor.

I started low boost of 4psi. I then turned it up and got to 11psi. Then no matter what I did it didn't go any further up in boost. I did not ever fully tighten the MBC in fear that it will suddenly work and hit 30+psi. Is everything connected the way it should? If so is there any reason I'm not making more boost? It did once randomly in third jump fast to 16psi then dropped back to 11 like it hit a wall. Any suggestions?
Old May 27, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly, I have not seen a proper MBC / Boost gauge install how-to on a X yet. I wish I could help you, but it doesn't sound like your boost gauge is installed in the correct position. Personally I like my boost source on the FPR or BOV line at worst. I could be wrong, but everyone who's done this install thus far has done it a different way.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

The boost gauge will hook up to the vacuum line coming off the front of the engine. Then the MBC will hook in between the wastegate and turbo inlet. IF you are only getting 11 psi it souinds like you have the lines backwards. Because the wastegate is 12 psi. Try switching the line around.
Old May 28, 2008, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

its not working because you have your mbc T'd to your wastegate AND your pressure source. Heres how it has to be:

MBC: Bottom of MBC goes to a pressure source. The nipple on the intercooler pipe is fine for this OR you can use the hose coming off of the BOV. The side of the MBC goes to the wastegate.

Boost gauge: The gauge goes to a pressure source as well. You can T it into the bov hose, OR the hose going from your intercooler pipe to your MBC. Either one will work.

You have the side of the MBC going to your pressure source (intercooler pipe) AND your wastegate. It needs to be IN LINE with those 2 things. When installing an MBC, there is no T needed. The only T you need is for your boost gauge.
Old May 28, 2008, 12:15 PM

wait I'm confused. Everything you said makes sence there except the stock boost controller was T'd the same way from the wastegate and intercooler inlet. That's the only reason I kept it that way. I'll try switching the lines around.

Last edited by MajesticOne; May 30, 2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 02:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by StevenStarke
its not working because you have your mbc T'd to your wastegate AND your pressure source. Heres how it has to be:

MBC: Bottom of MBC goes to a pressure source. The nipple on the intercooler pipe is fine for this OR you can use the hose coming off of the BOV. The side of the MBC goes to the wastegate.

Boost gauge: The gauge goes to a pressure source as well. You can T it into the bov hose, OR the hose going from your intercooler pipe to your MBC. Either one will work.

You have the side of the MBC going to your pressure source (intercooler pipe) AND your wastegate. It needs to be IN LINE with those 2 things. When installing an MBC, there is no T needed. The only T you need is for your boost gauge.
Somewhat contradicting. The T is indeed needed for your boost gauge, however if using the BOV for boost source, you need a T in the line from BOV/im/mbc

Last edited by 2rbolag; Nov 20, 2016 at 02:44 AM.