Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

To port turbo manifold or not to port?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To port turbo manifold or not to port?

So i just recently picked up my new turbo manifold. I was going to go for a bigger turbo this round but decided Id like to be able to drive my car every now and then. I stuck with a T3 configuration and my pt67 with .82 ar. I got the manifold a few days ago and the quality on this thing is top notch. The welds are great and the runners look to be in a great layout. I went to line it up with my ported race head and realized that the ports on the turbo manifold are pretty small. The ones on my head are gasket matched. I have a picture below of the turbo mani and drew lines where the gasket lined up. Should i port out this turbo mani? Will it make a huge difference? I would like to see the experts chime in on this. It doesnt seem like it would be very efficient to have my head ports running right into a flat wall. Therefore logically I would think it would be worth it. Let me know your input. Heres the picture of the mani with lines drawn on it.

PJ
Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

lol. I just realized I am in the Evo X forum.... mods can you please delete this I put up a new one in 1-9
Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:57 PM

is this for an X? either way if there's room in the flange to port without having to get into the material of the runners or without getting into the weld then do it. it will definitely improve the flow characteristics of the whole system, but if you have to port into the welds and runner material don't risk weakening the whole setup.