Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT 6 Puck street/race clutch question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ant_turbo
What would be a race car and what would be a street car??
What kind of HP are talking about... I'm making close to 500 on racegas is that a race car?? What's a race car...
Pretty odd you don't know the difference in what you asked. .. since you say you have almost 500whp on race gas....so lemme shed some light for you...

What defines a "race car" and a "street car" is the purpose it was built for, the way it gets used and the parts you put in/on the car.

A "race car" would be a car driven on the: 1/4 mile Track, Road Racing, Auto Crossing ECT.... WITH Minimal to NO STREET DRIVING.

A "street car" would be a car driven on the street, with minimal to no track days.

The Power output of the car doesn't determine if it's a street car or a race car, The owner and what he/she decides to do with the car does.

Example 1: Sure you could have a "close to 500whp on race gas" Street driven car that never see's the track at all, so in turn you have a "STREET CAR", right?

Example 2: You could have a 500whp RACE CAR that never see's the street and only driven on the track. Get it?

What makes the difference in the two comparisons is HOW YOU USE THE CAR, AND THE PARTS YOU HAVE ON/IN the car.

Example 3: you could even have a 500whp CAR in general that see's the track and street equally.... so he/she better choose parts very carefully and not just "point and click" on the intardnet and expect a certain part to do what it is not intended to do. Do research/ Ask questions.

Just my .02 cents

-Chris
Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

I made over 500 on the HD pressure plate and Street Disk and it has never slipped. Save the transfer case...go for the street setup
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
Ok here is the clutch I got

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACT-C...m200202845474&

Is there any way i can get a direct number to you so i can explain better whats going on over the phone. Thanks.
We don't have direct lines here. Dial 661-940-7555, and any of our techs can try to help diagnose the problem, or you can ask for me. FWIW it's worth it sounds like what both Mike W at RRE I described before.

Even though the description on that listing says road racing and high power street use we still market and sell all of the pucks discs as race discs and as such there is a certain amount of compromise to be expected vs. the use of a full face organic disc.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

For the record, I like the manly man springs from ACT.....looks good!
Old Jun 23, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well i took the car to my tuner shop. And yes they said that something it not right. They are going to tear it apart tommorow and see what is going on.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I hope it's not just the clutch chatter making you think something is wrong and you forking out the cash to drop the transmission. As stated above, the puck disc are more aggressive and less street friendly. I have an ACT 6puck sprung clutch and love it; sure it's grabby and makes decel noise but I don't complain when I'm at the dragstrip and it's holding like a champ! In case it matters, I don't daily drive my car but if I did I don't have a problem driving my 6puck around town. Good luck getting your issues resolved!