Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT 6 Puck street/race clutch question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ACT 6 Puck street/race clutch question

Ok so I got the Act 6 puck street/race clutch installed in my car. Rated at 537 lbs of torque. I finaly broke in the clutch so I punched it and when i went to speed shift from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 it make like a duuuuuuuf sound coming from the clutch. Like it is hitting the clutch hard. Every time I shift normal it drives like normal. So i just wanted to no if this is normal for this clutch do act like this.

Also on a side note everytime i let go of that gas there is this annoying vibration sounds like it is coming from the dash. This happeneing to any one else.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
This is a solid hub disc? Or a sprung hub disc?

Mike W
Old Jun 19, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if , i'm not wrong sprung hub disc cause that noise ..
and it is normal, from act.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

If that's normal, that sucks. I want a clutch with more bite but not if it's going to make mad noise inside the cabin.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Well it is only making a hard hitting nozie only when i am racing (speed shifting), and a lil on the launch.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have a evo 10 but!! I do have the 6 puck sprung and I hate my life now!!
High rpm lockout..... Clutch is very shatty,,, shakey, You should of went with the street disc and a XT plate...
Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
Well it is only making a hard hitting nozie only when i am racing (speed shifting), and a lil on the launch.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The question that Mike at RRE asked still has not been answered. Is it a solid hub or sprung hub. FWIW any puck disc will have harsher engagement than a full face organic disc. A sprung disc however will dampen the vibration you are feeling but not all of it. The vibration (assuming all is well with the installation) is coming from the gear noise in the transmission. The lack of springs or the use of stiffer springs (like we use) can magnify the noise.

We sell and market all of our puck discs as "race discs" because of the noise and harsh engagement associated with them and we clearly state the potential drawbacks to using them on our website.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
Ok so I got the Act 6 puck street/race clutch installed in my car. Rated at 537 lbs of torque. I finaly broke in the clutch so I punched it and when i went to speed shift from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 it make like a duuuuuuuf sound coming from the clutch. Like it is hitting the clutch hard. Every time I shift normal it drives like normal. So i just wanted to no if this is normal for this clutch do act like this.

Also on a side note everytime i let go of that gas there is this annoying vibration sounds like it is coming from the dash. This happeneing to any one else.
I've had my clutch replaced too and I am getting a rattle. It sounds like its coming from the dash, but I can't isolate it. It seems to vibrate some to the bass if I turn up the sub, and when I engage gears lightly, especially reverse. The vibrations from gear engagement sounds "further away" than the bass rattle.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ant_turbo
I don't have a evo 10 but!! I do have the 6 puck sprung and I hate my life now!!
High rpm lockout..... Clutch is very shatty,,, shakey, You should of went with the street disc and a XT plate...
I see you are in So Cal. Stop by sometime and let us adjust that bad boy for you fo free. It takes all of 5 minutes.

mike@roadraceengineering.com to set up a time.

Back to the noise on decell, you are just hearing all the gear slop and lash between all the gears from the transmission, transfer case and rear diff. The stock clutch has giant cushy springs to isolate the noise (and power) between the motor and transmission. On decell the pulsing of your 4 cylinders slowing the car a bit is kicking back against the gears a tiny bit. The same is there always, you just hear it now if you have a stiffer sprung clutch disc. ESPECIALLY if you have a solid hub disc.

Stock EVO disc with big soft sloppy springs

ACT Disc with manly man springs

Mike W
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sales@ACT
The question that Mike at RRE asked still has not been answered. Is it a solid hub or sprung hub. FWIW any puck disc will have harsher engagement than a full face organic disc. A sprung disc however will dampen the vibration you are feeling but not all of it. The vibration (assuming all is well with the installation) is coming from the gear noise in the transmission. The lack of springs or the use of stiffer springs (like we use) can magnify the noise.

We sell and market all of our puck discs as "race discs" because of the noise and harsh engagement associated with them and we clearly state the potential drawbacks to using them on our website.
Ok here is the clutch I got

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACT-C...m200202845474&

Is there any way i can get a direct number to you so i can explain better whats going on over the phone. Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

As for the nozie i am hearing under the dash i think it might have somthing to do with this :

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=352440
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

this is why ACT sells STREET DISCS and RACE DISCS.

Everyone thinks they have a race car
Old Jun 20, 2008, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
What would be a race car and what would be a street car??
What kind of HP are talking about... I'm making close to 500 on racegas is that a race car?? What's a race car...
Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech

Old Jun 20, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ant_turbo
What would be a race car and what would be a street car??
What kind of HP are talking about... I'm making close to 500 on racegas is that a race car?? What's a race car...
i would say that would be a race car.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech

Well I dont think i have a race car i no lol but any ways i went with this clutch because I am modding the turbo, going on meth, and having all the bolt ons, plus getting cams when they come out and a 2.3 stroker kit when that come, and seeing how this is still making more torque then hp i thought to get the 537 lbs of torque rateing one. And the clutch i got is actually for street use if you read the link I posted.
-Joe

Quick Reply: ACT 6 Puck street/race clutch question