Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

PERRIN EVO X FMIC Project

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2008, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow I love the data and support, responses and information you are providing as an after market company. That's hard to find in an after market company. With all this data and responses it looks like I might be buying multiple parts from you.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Lots of great info, sure was a great read. Thanx for doing all this testing. I feel like I know my car better now.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 09:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
If anyone is interested in comparing, I have been logging post-IC air temps on my IX. With a stock IX intercooler, I am seeing a temperature increase of about 20-30F over ambient. A single 3rd gear pull causes the post-IC temps to rise to about +20F over ambient. Rowing the gears from 2nd thru 5th going to 7000 rpm in each gear will cause the post-IC temp to rise about 30-35F over ambient. That's quite a bit less than the 80F increase with a stock intercooler on the X. The +50F with the Perrin is definitely much better and getting close to IX values. It would be great if the temp could be brought down further.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 05:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by xbox4414
Wow I love the data and support, responses and information you are providing as an after market company. That's hard to find in an after market company. With all this data and responses it looks like I might be buying multiple parts from you.
Awesome!

Originally Posted by mrfred
If anyone is interested in comparing, I have been logging post-IC air temps on my IX. With a stock IX intercooler, I am seeing a temperature increase of about 20-30F over ambient. A single 3rd gear pull causes the post-IC temps to rise to about +20F over ambient. Rowing the gears from 2nd thru 5th going to 7000 rpm in each gear will cause the post-IC temp to rise about 30-35F over ambient. That's quite a bit less than the 80F increase with a stock intercooler on the X. The +50F with the Perrin is definitely much better and getting close to IX values. It would be great if the temp could be brought down further.
Well with our heat shield we are working on, i think this is doable. (dropping the X outlet temps to a level closer to the IX)
Key thing to look at is your post temps, along with pre-IC temps and them ambient to calculate efficiency. But overall knowing what the outlet temps are is a good thing.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you think that porting the exhaust manifold (to help with the flow through the turbo, less restriction=less heat) and coating the manifold would help? More then anything I would think that a good high temp coating inside and out would keep the temps a bit lower.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably not, as the issue is really more to do with the heat soak. Porting the manifold wouldn't be necessary as there really isn't any restriction there at this point. Perhaps a ceramic coating would help, but a heat shield would do more and is much cheaper.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PERRIN_Jeff
Well with our heat shield we are working on
I guessed correctly, whats my prize?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 03:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cow town racer
I guessed correctly, whats my prize?
Our eternal love and affection? Does that work!

Seriously though, thanks for the post and for the interest.

Having driven this car extensively on the track recently the whole mods combination is working really well as is the tune. Jeff has done a great job!

If I can ever help with any technical concerns or sales information, please let me know!

Thanks again!

adam.taft@perrinperformance.com
Old Jun 29, 2008, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PERRIN_Adam
Our eternal love and affection? Does that work!
Could I ask for anything more?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor

looking good guys!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by inneedof
looking good guys!
Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2008, 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PERRIN_Jeff
Awesome!

Well with our heat shield we are working on, i think this is doable. (dropping the X outlet temps to a level closer to the IX)
Key thing to look at is your post temps, along with pre-IC temps and them ambient to calculate efficiency. But overall knowing what the outlet temps are is a good thing.
Jeff,
From the data you have given, the heat shield may be even a better mod, in terms of reducing intake temperature, than the FMIC. Very interested in acquiring same before tune. When will you be able to test the effectiveness of the shield and its availability?

Later, Ken
Old Jul 1, 2008, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for all the data/info/pics! Its really interesting to see what goes into designing a part.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

great write up man!
Old Jul 1, 2008, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KPerez
Jeff,
From the data you have given, the heat shield may be even a better mod, in terms of reducing intake temperature, than the FMIC. Very interested in acquiring same before tune. When will you be able to test the effectiveness of the shield and its availability?

Later, Ken
We are working on it as we speak, and our solution is going to be very cool, and not super expensive.

Originally Posted by S2kracka
Thanks for all the data/info/pics! Its really interesting to see what goes into designing a part.
No problem!

Quick Reply: PERRIN EVO X FMIC Project