Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

PERRIN EVO X FMIC Project

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Job PERRIN! Very nice details.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 03:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nismo1118
Can't wait to see the progress and data for the heat shield.
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I'm down for some crude details.
Originally Posted by nismo1118
Right I'm really curious to hear about it.
Its a project that is now on its 3rd rev. So far things are going great and we have a final version we are testing and will have hard data on soon. Currently the surface temps on the turbo have dropped more than 400 degrees! So we have made great progress and the part we will offer looks very cool! Literally!

Old Jul 24, 2008, 07:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Lovin it!

ADAM TAFT

Adam Taft
CEO
PERRIN Performance™
503.693.1702 Ex. 110
WWW.PERRINPERFORMANCE.COM
WebsiteBlogMyspaceE-mailAIM
Old Jul 24, 2008, 03:27 PM

400 hundred degrees thats great. Can't wait to see more!
Old Jul 24, 2008, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
400 degrees...that's huge. hats off.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

I'm new to turbo cars so this is new to me. So adding what looks like a cloth shield actually cools down the turbo as opposed to letting air cool it?
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

It's more of what looks like a turbo bag, except that it's for the header. These opperate on the principal of insultating the heat and preventing it from escaping, which in this case keeps it away from the turbo. Theoretically this helps turbo spool as well by minimizing heat transfer of the runners, which will keep air velocity through the pipes higher. I am very iterested in buying one of these, although I am curiousif the chimney scoop from the naca duct can still be used. Perrin, I am really impressed with you guys for doing so much R&D for this car, it really is going to benefit the X community. Thanks, and hurry up damnit, I want one!
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DVDee
I'm new to turbo cars so this is new to me. So adding what looks like a cloth shield actually cools down the turbo as opposed to letting air cool it?
Ya its just some canvas cover. Its only caught on fire a few times............
Actually the cover is shielding the Compressor cover of the turbo. This is what keeps it cooler.

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
It's more of what looks like a turbo bag, except that it's for the header. These opperate on the principal of insultating the heat and preventing it from escaping, which in this case keeps it away from the turbo. Theoretically this helps turbo spool as well by minimizing heat transfer of the runners, which will keep air velocity through the pipes higher. I am very iterested in buying one of these, although I am curiousif the chimney scoop from the naca duct can still be used. Perrin, I am really impressed with you guys for doing so much R&D for this car, it really is going to benefit the X community. Thanks, and hurry up damnit, I want one!
Thanks! We have got it dialed now we are just making it look nice. We have about 5 of them laying around and its almost perfect! I think that the chimeny stack does help but the glowing red hot manifold is still on top of the turbo radiating massive heat to it!

One side note. This project has made us look at the 8/9 and while its not as big of a deal it is still a concern. We have not done the outlet temps on these but we will also being exploring the 8/9 turbo sheild. Keep an eye out!
Old Jul 25, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome! As far as the chimney scoop portion of the heat shielding is concerned, I was wondering more if it can be used in conjunction with the header bag that you guys are making so that it will help circulate some air around that portion of the engine bay. It seems like it would still be beneficial to keep that in place. That way when the car is at speed it would cool off the top of the bag and help keep everything that much cooler.

Plus I want to feel like my naca duct is still doing something. If not then it reminds me of the hood scoop on an STi with a front mount... seems silly at that point. Either way, looks great and I can't wait to get one. Ooh, I almost forgot... will it be offered in different colors? Red would look pretty cool, stealth black is always nice too...
Old Jul 25, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm very interested in the final product! Like others have said we really appreciate the extra R&D on the new Evo X!
Old Jul 27, 2008, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Some performance/output numbers with and w/o heat shed would be nice to document the effect of the 400 degree F reduction. Thanks.

Later, Ken

AMS intake
AMS Cat back
Iveytune (320 all the way around)
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KPerez
Some performance/output numbers with and w/o heat shed would be nice to document the effect of the 400 degree F reduction. Thanks.

Later, Ken

AMS intake
AMS Cat back
Iveytune (320 all the way around)
Numbers will follow soon. I have some really good numbers on the street and so far things are looking great! The charge temp reduction is huge and this was on a 85 degree day!
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Jeff, everything looks great and I'm following this thread very closely. One thing that I'm very curious about is if this could overheat the header and causea crack. Is this something to worry about, or would that only be an issue with a tubular design. Would it even be an issue with a tubular design?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Nope, overheating will not be a problem its beefy cast iron and its just like header wrap on your header but safer. I say safer because the header wrap really hold heat ON the part, were ours provides at least some air gap around the header. I hope that makes sense.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sure cast iron will be fine and maybe even properly reinforced tubular manifolds would work since it's not as tightly bound as header wrap would be.

Quick Reply: PERRIN EVO X FMIC Project