Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intake suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake suggestions...

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about purchasing a drop-in air filter/cai , but I cant decide what to get...I know mostly what everyone offer and have done plenty of research. I've mostly decided I want to go with something that sticks pretty close to the stock look of the airbox (like Cobb's or aem), but the thing is that i dont know if they would be worth the extra $$$ for the gains...plus some are taking forever to be released. As far as the drop-in's go I had settled on the Works filter but I'm not sure its worth the extra $$ either...according to them they advertise gains of +27 HP @ 5600 RPM and +13 TQ @ 4300 RPM. Which I though are pretty good for a drop-in and better than HKS or K&N, as far as I have read from other threads. Or if I should just go with a CAI for the best bang for the buck and better gains??? I have been looking at the Buschur's kit, since I am also going to purchase the exhaust but to be honest, I just hate the way that the heat shield looks on there ....Suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

I'm in your position too. Personally, what I think I'm going to do is just buy an HKS drop-in because it's the cheapest one and proven to make gains. Works is a better option for the long term being that you don't have to replace the Works filter like you do the HKS one. But, as soon as HKS releases their RS intake, I'll probably be getting that. This way I can just use up my HKS drop in and hopefully in 5,000 miles the RS intake will be out.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

I think Noize has had his car dynoed with the works and only got 9hp. Im not absolutely sure, but I think it was his car maybe he can chime in. Im pretty sure you are good up to 400hp with the stock box with a drop in. Most Intakes or dropins are only getting aroun9-15hp when properly tuned. Early on car where gettting huge increases cause the car was incredibly rich before the reflashes. Ive seen an article on the AMS in a magazine dont remeber which one but it only got 11hp.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The intakes actually don't make anything once tuned. The only reason that they make power in stock form is because they change the maf signal with the increased flow and lean out the incredibly rich air/fuel mixture. Once the car has been leaned out with tuning, the benefits of the air filter are lost then. I still like them because I think it has to help spool a tiny bit because of the lack of restriction and it's nice that they are washable and reusable. Works drop in FTW.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

Does anyone have any numbers with the Works drop-in stock or with any bolts-ons on their car???? If so...please chime in.

Thx.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sylnraul_evox
Does anyone have any numbers with the Works drop-in stock or with any bolts-ons on their car???? If so...please chime in.

Thx.
Think there is a thread on here where noize had his dynoed for about 9whp. Im not sure if he had other mods other than filter though. If you do a search I bet you could find it.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
I'm in your position too. Personally, what I think I'm going to do is just buy an HKS drop-in because it's the cheapest one and proven to make gains. Works is a better option for the long term being that you don't have to replace the Works filter like you do the HKS one. But, as soon as HKS releases their RS intake, I'll probably be getting that. This way I can just use up my HKS drop in and hopefully in 5,000 miles the RS intake will be out.
That is exactly what I was thinking but then K&N finally released their drop-in for $50, so I got that.