Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS EVO X to Compete against the best!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KPerez
AMS Gopher it!!
Now some recommendations from a nobody but an AMS "family member":
(1) The X must loose some weight. To that end, rip out those air bag and safety system and you will loose ~200 lbs. For this car to be competitive it must get as close to 3k lbs as possible; you have to find another 300lbs to shed.
(2) Have Robi (Robispec.com) do the complete suspension. He is the best and as a minimum needs to be consulted about the set up and parts. No offense to AMS staff but Robi is good, very good.
(3) The car must be reliable. Ever since the SCM started the event, many of the big "contenders" looked good on paper but ultimately never completed because of engine and other failures. Bottom line: be concerned more with reliability and finishing than massive whp output.
(4) Balance: the cars that have won in the past have not won every event. Rather they have been in the top three/ event and wining a few. Keep this formula in mind throughout the build.
(5) Heat: Southern Calif., the site of the event, is hot, hotter than Chicago. Ready this car for maximum heat at the track; many of failures of past contenders was overheating.
In short, assuming there is an 09 GTR entered, I want that big, fat GTR beaten; I almost considered this car instead of the X but Nissan has too much of strangle hold on this car; too elitest for me so I am after the "working man's" car to wipe this GTR out! Do not let us down. Spend the time and expend the effort for AMS is the David here and Nissan is the Golliath for they are going to be involved in the GTR entry. Be prepared for them to come ready to wipe up the field. AMS, I hope and trust, is going to spoil their party.

Later, Ken

AMS Intake
AMS Cat back
Iveytune (320 all the way around)
1. There is only so much weight that you can take out of the X without cutting and chopping. We have reduced weight but everything can be bolted back in. Getting the car to 3000 pounds is not going to happen.

2. I think that the last two seasons of Time Attack should say something about the ability of AMS to properly design and setup a suspension for a car. You might be surprised at how much testing we have done on the X suspension. I am pretty sure we have this covered.

3. Reliability is what AMS is all about.

4. We have kept every single event in mind when it came to the build on the car.

5. While the GTR is an awesome performer stock, there is not going to be many things that can be done to the car to improve on it without freaking out the ECU.

We are looking forward to the challenge.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 9sec240
5. While the GTR is an awesome performer stock, there is not going to be many things that can be done to the car to improve on it without freaking out the ECU.

We are looking forward to the challenge.
Show them what it means to be evolved.
Awesome header you guys got there. GL @ the USCC!
Old Jul 27, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by kinloch99
do you really care about the mileage or if your girlfriend is comfortable in these cars...no...you care how it does in all the real tests...half the street cars on evom site arent officially street legal , stop being a p$%sy
In a street car? Yeah, I actually DO care about gas mileage, emissions (I'm still an environmentalist), and how 'comfortable' it is (A/C, stereo, not going deaf from exhaust noise, etc). Call it more maturity if you like. Funny thing is, my 'street' Nissan with a/c, stereo, and everything was faster than all the stupid, gutted out, no a/c civics out there. A well built 'street' car can better better than 95% of the so-called 'tuner' cars out there because a lot of people are just idiots.

Like AMS said, the GTR's main limitation is the factory ecu. Cobb probably has the most developed GTR in the states. They've apparently been able to knock off about 300lbs and add 70whp IIRC. So that's roughly 3500lbs and 475whp. A lightened up Evo X may weigh around 3200-3300 and have similar power, albeit, with a narrower powerband. I'd guess the Evo will beat the GTR in the dragstrip and fuel ecomony, but the road course will be a close one as will the dyno...

Last edited by spdracerut; Jul 27, 2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

dude you are so gone, this is a performance competition first and foremost, my point being, for this shootout 99.9% , (you being the .1) dont care about comforts in these cars that they are testing. when you come down off you glue huffing high you will realize that you dont or wont ever own any of these test cars and you can make your own car as fluffy as you like. we all know how to keep a car comfortable on the street...
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

That X looks ****in sexy. good luck.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:40 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by kinloch99
dude you are so gone, this is a performance competition first and foremost, my point being, for this shootout 99.9% , (you being the .1) dont care about comforts in these cars that they are testing. when you come down off you glue huffing high you will realize that you dont or wont ever own any of these test cars and you can make your own car as fluffy as you like. we all know how to keep a car comfortable on the street...
So, when are you going to be permanently banned? How many points do you have?
Old Jul 27, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Wow!!!!! NICE!!!!! Congratz AMS on the invite. If any company that can pull a win and an incredible build for the X it would be AMS. Good luck guys!
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

I hope to see the Evo X pull out the win especially if the closest competitor is the new GTR. Nothing would make me happier then to watch the X embarass the GTR. Go go AMS!!!
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:16 AM

My Buddy is at AMS this week. Tell Hugo, Dan from syska says whats up!!!!

And I'll be ordering plenty of your parts for the X soon enough...
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
We will of course keep you posted on all the events activities as much as we are allowed to.
You damn well better!

REPRESENT!
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

good luck against that R35
I saw the top gear episode and it beat tons of supercars around a track...