Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Artisan EVO SA-X 50 Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2008, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The stock injectors on the X are larger than the Evo 8 and 9.

Injector upgrades can be delayed for a little while. It also helps that the fuel pump output is higher as well.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HugoEvoIXMR
The stock injectors on the X are larger than the Evo 8 and 9.

Injector upgrades can be delayed for a little while. It also helps that the fuel pump output is higher as well.
Uhhm, no

While you can get a few more whp out of an X than a IX, ANY turbo upgrade on an X WILL require larger injectors, unless of course you don't want to make any power.

Those of us that have been using EcuTek on the X are very much aware that IDC's are very high with just a few bolt ons and a good tune.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

I'd volunteer but then I'd be stuck with the units that didn't perform as well at a considerable cost to the pocketbook.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 03:01 PM

I have been in communications with this company about their turbo. Below is a copy of what was sent between us. It was great to see they replied. You guys be the judge of this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxmumboom
Sean Ivey tuned my evo. I myself have been tuning ls1/ls2 gm motors for they last 10yrs. If we can work something out ill install your turbo and have Sean tune it. If this turbo is what you say it is, that will be proof enough. Let me know.

John
TEAM TURBO REPLY:
I can not sponsor anymore as we have exceeded our budget. I still have these for sale. I could give you 10% off.

Let me know

Thanks
MAXMUMBOOM REPLY:
Ill buy the turbo under the condition that you post some dyno graphs. It seems to good to be true. Untill i see some comps against the stock x turbo, i can only be skeptical about what you guys claim. Please get back to me. most of us are really intrested in it but need some proof. Thanks

TEAM TURBO REPLY:
We have dozen of dyno graphs we are not trying to hide and not show them. My point has been this entire time is that it not going to show you what you are asking for. A bolt on turbo upgrade on a evo x will not bolt on 20whp or 40 whp etc.. We have made 443whp on a differnet turbo that is close. Speed clinic has made 429whp if you want to see those charts they are already posted and videos to back it.

The point I have been trying to stress on the public forum is that it is not relevant. If you buy this turbo and install in with out a custom tune the car it will run like crap. The increased suction from the larger wheel disturb the maf causing the car to go into limp mode.

I am not sure where the it is to good to be true is coming from. We have been doing this for 15years. From 18g, 20g, 25g on a ton of evo, dsm, srt-4 across the board. The power those cars made with the turbo replacement is in line with the power this is making.

I did not want to post charts in the turbo thread saying look we made 400+whp and so did all these other guys when the supporting mods are as important as the turbo. This to me generates more false promises that everything and creates an illusion that this is all you need to make the power. We build 100's of turbos a month and attach hp #'s to all of them. This turbo is good for the power we have rated it too.

I do not have dyno charts from a stock car to a new turbo car as we did the turbo after a lot of other mods. So a bolt on power gain even with a tune I do not have as we where trying to obtain maximum power. I will have an evo in here tomorrow and I will do some basic gains with the turbo.

Thanks for the interest in the product.

MAXMUMBOOM REPLY:
Thank you for the fast reply. I understand that all supporting mods will cause different outcomes in the respect of power.
What have you guys seen on a stock motor with an intake, turboback exhaust, up graded injectors/ fuel pump and a tune WITHOUT meth injection?
I want to buy this product, but I need to know what to expect from it. I hope you understand my reasoning behiind my questions. what have you 1/4mile times been with the above set up?
Once again thank you for your time. Please inform me of your results so i can buy your product.

No meth no race gas 25 psi you can expect 360whp on a mustang dyno. I know some people are making this on a stock turbo and little more boost. I think on a rough tune we made 345. We are using a stock turbine wheel. You can expect about a 25-30% increase in flow.

The nice thing about this turbo is it will not fall off up top especially with an extended redline on a tune. This is where you will really see this turbo shine. I would predict on a good tune a 50whp increase up top when the stock turbo runs out of breath.

We are tuning a non meth car later this week I will post the charts and videos.

Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2008, 06:53 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Further off topic posts, comparison to XZY's numbers, and unrelated shops posturing and promoting their product in someone else's thread will not be tolerated. Since deleting posts isn't working, I'm sure infracting will. Ye have all been warned. Post such things at your own risk.

This thread will stay on topic.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hlight=artisan

Looks like the turbo is doing pretty good even at 25 PSI.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 06:36 AM
bmx

Ok, been running the SA-X-50 for 2 weeks without a tune. Finally got a Ecutek this morning. Basic bolt on mods with the Artisan SA-X-50 and the forge wastegate actuator.

Customised Upper Intercooler pipe
Cobb Tuning Turbo inlet hose
Kakimoto dual Cat back exhaust
Apexi pod filter
Blitz Electronic boost controller at 1.7bar (approx 25psi)
93octane gas
Ambient temp was about 85F
Stock intercooler, injectors, clutch, fuel pump

And to refresh everyone, below are the comparison pics of the stock(right) vs SA-X-50 turbo(left)

Below details the before and after Ecutek on my car.

Before anyone starts to "question me", I am NOT sure what dyno is used. Think it is "Dimensions" dyno. To me, the actual drive is the most important.

Dyno chart aside, the drive after the tune was fabulous. Turbo spool was like stock and the pull to redline is amazing. Tuner did comment that boost was very stable and taper was minimum (didnt really check the taper, will update again). The "loss of power" feeling in the stock Evo after 5500rpm is gone.

I finally have an Evo now......thanks alot Artisan!!!!

Last edited by bmx; Sep 4, 2008 at 06:40 AM.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bmx
Ok, been running the SA-X-50 for 2 weeks without a tune. Finally got a Ecutek this morning. Basic bolt on mods with the Artisan SA-X-50 and the forge wastegate actuator.

Apexi pod filter
93octane gas

And to refresh everyone, below are the comparison pics of the stock(right) vs SA-X-50 turbo(left)

Before anyone starts to "question me", I am NOT sure what dyno is used. Think it is "Dimensions" dyno. To me, the actual drive is the most important.

Dyno chart aside, the drive after the tune was fabulous. Turbo spool was like stock and the pull to redline is amazing. Tuner did comment that boost was very stable and taper was minimum (didnt really check the taper, will update again). The "loss of power" feeling in the stock Evo after 5500rpm is gone.

Do you have an EGT Gauge? Just wondering what the afr and egt look like up top on the road. The X will happily run much leaner than an VIII or IX but egt goes through the roof at the top of 4th if you leave it lean.

Main reason for the questions is we did not have enough injector or pump to push more than about 330 whp on our dyno without the injectors going static with comfortable afr. We could have pushed it farther with leaner afr and egt's would have been O.K. on the dyno but on the road in the top of 4th egt's were too high and we had to go to 750cc injectors.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:53 PM
bmx

yes i do have an EGT gauge. I am seeing a peak of about 700 degrees celcius when pushed hard However, my EGT probe is at the downpipe, that may explain the lower EGTs. I was seeing similar temp readings when it was still running stock boost and untuned.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 08:45 PM

nice peice, interesting to see how this turns out in the next couple of years,
Old Sep 7, 2008, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

This turbo looks stock except it has more kick. What's the charge to have your stock turbo modified like this one. I prefer to have it still show any mitsu badging that may be on it for warranty purposes.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bmx

Apexi pod filter
93octane gas

It is an italian dyno,the Dimsport Dyno Race. Dimsport stays for "Dimensione Sport".
Remember that it shows the flywheel horsepower,380hp is @ flywheel (estimated by the dyno).

Last edited by eTiLiKo; Oct 28, 2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old May 30, 2009, 04:12 AM

any deals on this turbo yet? if so pm me
Old May 30, 2009, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
I don't think it's a joke. It makes sense to put a 50 trim wheels in the stock housing. I'm thinking that it should be equavalent to GT3076R turbo. They may have not posted any solid numbers, but based on my tuning experience, it sounds more than reasonable.

I'm out of town for business, but when I get back home, I'm definitely going to order one and let Road Race Engineering tune the car. I'll post up results as soon as I can. Be patient, it takes time to tune a car with a different turbo.

No offense to Agency Power or Vivid Racing, but I think 420 WHP on a GT35R turbo is a joke. 50 trim turbo without giving your core for around $1K is a good deal.
+1 for this post. Post pictures, graphs, and your entire experience w/ this turbo on CA pump gas **** poor 91oct.
Old May 30, 2009, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DVDee
This turbo looks stock except it has more kick. What's the charge to have your stock turbo modified like this one. I prefer to have it still show any mitsu badging that may be on it for warranty purposes.
True, Mitsu badging is a plus. Personally this looks like a well made Chinese upgraded knock off turbo.

Quick Reply: Artisan EVO SA-X 50 Turbo Upgrade