Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2008, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a few of my observations on installing and use of this product:

Installation is easy and took me about 15 min.

After install it rattled horribly and i found it to be coming from clip that holds the rod to the wastegate because the end is not as thick as the stock one. An easy fix was to stick an 8mm washer on the wastegate shaft to get everything held in tighter.

After fixing that rattle i noticed the wastegate itself could rattle because the Forge rod has some side to side play. I'm not speaking of the wastegate having motion of open-closed but front to back instead. I could stop this by slightly overtightning the rod. Maybe someone from Forge can chime in and tell the proper tension the wastegate should have without causing issues such as overboost for the people putting this on with no tune.

For those considering this purchase, make sure you are ready to have a tune done immediately. I was under the impression that this unit was good for a stock replacement and reacted better and held tighter but i was unaware that the boost controller on the X operates by predetermined levels from the ECU and not actual boost numbers which resulted in my boost spiking issues.

The end result for me just bolting this on with the AMS mail-in flash was huge boost spikes (27-30+ psi depending on how tight the rod was). The other odd thing that happened was the horrible limp mode 4 times yesterday just as boost was starting to build (5-10psi). I am going to assume that the turbo is spooling faster because the wastegate is held so tight and the ECU sees more boost than it should at a certain RPM and shuts it down.

Seems like this will be an awesome part once I go for a re-tune but i have to pull it back off until then.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
There are actually two restrictor pills, one in between the compressor side of the turbo and wastegate and one in the line that runs to the solenoid.
Are you positive on this? I've had mine apart and only have seen one, the one next to the wastegate actuator. I could have missed the other, it's possible, I'd like to know where it is.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^Yep, positive. There's always one near the solenoid, but I am not sure where in the line it is. When I get some time, I'll go pull my line apart and see if I can find it, but there's definitely one there. If there wasn't then the solenoid would bleed off too fast initially and cause huge spiking issues. On the evo 8s and 9s people tried to help reduce boost taper by making the pill near the wastegate smaller to force more air to the solenoid, and others actually tried using a larger pill at the solenoid to increase the vent rate to reduce the amount sent to the wastegate that way but it causes spiking issues.

Some people have even tried using a combination of the two, but it's still best to just go after the wastegate pill and replace it with a smaller one to achieve the desired effect. If you were iterested, works actually has a boost line upgrade that comes with their P2 flash that incorporates a carefully balanced pill change at the wastegate AND the solenoid to help better control boost taper, but I am not sure about the taper improvement because they have not given a before and after comparison. I'll see what I can dig up.