Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X + C16 full time

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X + C16 full time

Alright I had a question, I was wondering if anyone was daily driving on C16 in an Evo X and if they had any problems running C16 full time. Also if you are running on C16 full time have you adjusted your boost higher for the added horsepower since you don't have to worry about detonation say maybe going from 22 up to about 25-26psi and adjusting the WGA to hold closer to 20psi at redline?

The reason I ask is because I'm about to move for a while to a city where they only have 91 and I dread the thought of running 91...I can either carry around a few gallons of C16 at the house to mix 1-2 gallons per tank in and be equivalent to running 93-94 but with the hassle of going to add it everytime I fill up back at the house or spend a marginal amount more since a tank lasts a while when I'm in school and just running on C16 full time and not having to hassle with going home everytime to add race gas to bring up the octane rating enough for me to be comfortable running it. The altitude is about 3500ft if that matters to anyone. The price difference is about 1.5 times as much to run on C16 full time instead of just 91.

Thanks ~Trent
Old Aug 11, 2008, 04:11 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
wow! c16 full time. you're balle. Anyway, you can boost higher but I'm not sure how high is too high. It's important that you run catless with c16 because it's leaded.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

c16 is over kill. Try the torco Accelerator, it works for me.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Just run 91 and meth, C16 seems like a waste
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

i run 91 fine with no problems, if you have the opportunity run e85, i would run that if there were more than 2 stations in my city, and i live in a fairly big city
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

where the heck are you buying c16 for $6.00 - $7.00 per gallon??? (1.5 x ga 93)

You are much better off to get a tune for whatever fuel you have available. I promise that with a tune for 91 you will make more power than you are now if you are not tuned.

Another option is NOS octane booster, we normally don't use or reccommend these type products but we have seen this one work first hand on the dyno after some guys wife filled up his 335i with 87 octane.

Just add one bottle to a tank of 91 and you should be fine.

Any leaded fuel will kill a cat that is true, but more important is that it will kill your O2 sensors. You can replace the cat with a test pipe but when your front 02 sensor goes the car will run like complete **** and you will have to replace it.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Running C16 all the time is going to Kill your o2 sensors
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

To expand on what the others have said, running a race gas full time is really not practical. When I lived in FL I worked about five miles from a VP station in Fort Lauderdale that sold race gas. We would buy C16 and C10 (I think it was C10, it was the 100 oct unleaded) for our race cars, and would also run the cars on the street, etc. I had/have a small pickup daily driver that I drove to work every day, and we used to buy the fuel in in 55 gallon drums. Even working that close to the station and buying 55 gallons at a time was not practical to run it on the street. We would empty the drums real fast, and then we would have to plan to buy more. Planning wasn't the problem, the problem was actually making it to the station at the planned time, when schedule conflicts would arise a work, home life, etc.

I would look into either running the NOS additive or running a DIY toluene or xylene mix.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo-L
Just run 91 and meth, C16 seems like a waste
Then I would have to buy a meth kit and find a dealer that sells meth near me...plus the possibility of pump failures and other random hiccups with a meth system.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoeyM3
i run 91 fine with no problems, if you have the opportunity run e85, i would run that if there were more than 2 stations in my city, and i live in a fairly big city
From what I read with the advanced timing on the X you will be getting a few counts of knock on 91...plus the car should be making better power on higher octane
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

100 octane would be more than enough, and a lot cheaper
plus it wouldn't kill o2 sensors like previously mentioned
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
where the heck are you buying c16 for $6.00 - $7.00 per gallon??? (1.5 x ga 93)

You are much better off to get a tune for whatever fuel you have available. I promise that with a tune for 91 you will make more power than you are now if you are not tuned.

Another option is NOS octane booster, we normally don't use or reccommend these type products but we have seen this one work first hand on the dyno after some guys wife filled up his 335i with 87 octane.

Just add one bottle to a tank of 91 and you should be fine.

Any leaded fuel will kill a cat that is true, but more important is that it will kill your O2 sensors. You can replace the cat with a test pipe but when your front 02 sensor goes the car will run like complete **** and you will have to replace it.
Suncraft in Lubbock, Texas. I thought the pricing sounded great and for the small distances of driving filling up with 12 gallons at a time a barrel would last me 4 tanks and that should be enough to last about 2 months per barrel if I'm not taking any long road trips and just driving to school and around town.

I'm not worried about killing the cat since I don't have one on the car presently...the 02's however would be a problem.

I need to check the pricing on the Torco and similar products to see how much that is per bottle to justify if it's cheaper running Torco per tank or just running a mix of C16 or pure C16. The biggest thing is it would be maybe $20 more per tank to run straight C16 at the price I found plus the convenience of not having to keep Torco or race fuel stocked up around the house to add per tank of gas. I could just go fill up.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1slowevo
100 octane would be more than enough, and a lot cheaper
plus it wouldn't kill o2 sensors like previously mentioned
I might be wrong but 100 octane would still be leaded and therefore would still kill the O2's I thought...if it's unleaded and I could find it I would definately not object to running 100 octane especially if its cheaper then C16 and won't hurt anything.

When I called the company that sells it yesterday I didn't ask about anything other than C16 but could check on their prices/availability of lower octane fuels as well when I get up there.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
I might be wrong but 100 octane would still be leaded and therefore would still kill the O2's I thought...if it's unleaded and I could find it I would definately not object to running 100 octane especially if its cheaper then C16 and won't hurt anything.

When I called the company that sells it yesterday I didn't ask about anything other than C16 but could check on their prices/availability of lower octane fuels as well when I get up there.
you can get 100 unleaded. We used to get it at the pumps in Vegas. The highest unleaded you can get is VP MS109. great stuff
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
Then I would have to buy a meth kit and find a dealer that sells meth near me...plus the possibility of pump failures and other random hiccups with a meth system.
Meth is nothing more than windshield washer fluid most the time...not that hard to find. And in the end a meth kit would save you money when compared to C16 or 100 octane at the pump.

John

Quick Reply: Evo X + C16 full time