Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Blouch Dominator 1 rough in tune

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2008, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blouch Dominator 1 rough in tune

Today I would like to present you the rough in tune results for the Dominator 2's little brother, the Blouch Dominator 1 for Evolution X. The Dominator 1 features a 48lb/min compressor wheel matched with a Blouch proprietary high flow turbine wheel. All packaged in machined stock housings for a package that looks bone stock.

First a bit of info on the car:
Current mileage is about 2,000
Modifications: Ultimate racing turbo back (mini muffler), Nisei hot pipe, works drop in filter, 750cc injectors

We opted for the 20 psi actuator and put it to the test immediately by zeroing out the error correction and duty cycle tables in the ecu. Blue line is spring pressure only. You will also notice that we quickly found the limits of the stock injectors and fuel pump (the areas where the fuel curve looks like a check mark is where the injectors went static:

We had ordered a set of RC Engineering 750cc injectors due in at the same time as the turbo, but UPS promptly lost them so that set us back another week. Once we got the injectors in and strapped it back down we spent most of the time trying to get the dip out of the power curve at 6500 rpm with little success. We worked and reworked the timing and fueling at that point to no avail.
After reviewing all of the logs I'm fairly sure it's in the mivec maps or the boost control maps:

Run 20 in the plots above is the highest whp and torque we ever got on the stock turbo. Run 36 is where we left the tune for this session. Something interesting to note is that Run 20 saw a peak air flow if 39 lb/min and Run 36 saw a peak of 45 lb/min. I'm sure the turbo has a few more lb/min left in it an considering we get about 7.5 whp per lb/min 350 whp (470 crank) should not be a problem at all.

Over all I'm extremely happy with this turbo. It drives like stock without a hint of surge. Just a faint low whistle under light throttle to you let you know it's there. The graphs may make it look a little laggy, but we did not re work the mivec map yet or touch the tune bellow 5,500 rpm so I'm sure we can fatten up the curve next time on the dyno.

Even with the tune as is, the turbo is very responsive and works perfectly on a daily driver. I've noticed a consistent increase of about 1mpg across the board in both commuting and high speed cruise situations.

Ohh, I almost forgot, currently we are not even using the secondary boost control solenoid to hit 24 psi and hold 21 psi. In fact we are not even using 100% of the primary solenoid so there should be more headroom left for stock ecu boost control. More to come in the next couple weeks

UPDATE: Reworked the MIVEC Curve up top to get rid of the power dips
So, We spent a little more time on the dyno today (about 2 runs) bringing the AFR back to more EGT friendly 11.8 ish and updateing the mivec map for the larger turbo.

Still not pushing the turbo up top. We are hitting a peak boost pressure of about 24 psi and holding 22.5 psi at the rev limiter

EDIT FOR CONFIRMED PRICE INFO

Dominator 1.0 turbocharger for EvoX

Includes 48lb per min compressor wheel with upgraded high flow turbine wheel. Also includes 20psi upgrade actuator

Retail Price $1320.99

Dominator 2.0 Turbocharger for EvoX

Includes 52lb per min GT compressor wheel matched with high flow upgrade turbine wheel. Also includes 20psi upgrade actuator

Retail Price $1430.99

Refunds are available for returned cores that are in good shape. Price depends on the condition of the unit sent back

Last edited by Dyno4mance; Sep 7, 2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 05:48 AM

Wow.......Looks Fast.....haha
Old Aug 20, 2008, 05:51 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Very Nice Guys!
Old Aug 20, 2008, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice. I cant wait until i get my dominator 2 tuned so i can drive the beast.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys,

To be honest I'm not happy with the tune yet and didn't want to post because the plots don't reflect how the car feels on the road yet, but I'm so happy with the turbo that I wanted to get the info out there.

BTW we are still on the stock clutch with no sign of slip yet, but we don't drag race so the car has never been launched.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome job! Keep us posted on the MIVEC tuning. If the spool improves from tuning, this looks like the turbo for me!
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Will do,
I think the spool results on the dyno are a bit misleading in terms of on road performance. This turbo is very responsive and although I did not post the overlay, it spools very much like the stock X turbo without mivec tuning. It does loose out on spool in comparison to the stock turbo after mivec tuning but given the gearing on the X I'm very happy to have this turbo on my daily driver.

Also, considering that our baseline for this car was right at 220whp.... we are sitting at more than 50% whp gain over stock...
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have any photos of the turbo installed? Curious as to how stock it looks, if there's even any difference... Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
Do you have any photos of the turbo installed? Curious as to how stock it looks, if there's even any difference... Thanks in advance.
No photos, I can take some this evening, but the housings are the stock housings with internal machine work to fit the Blouch wheels so it looks totally stock, except for the fact that the new turbo was built from a brand new core so the host side did not have the weathered cast iron look when it was installed.

On top of that we are using ecu control boost tuned via EcuTek so the only aftermarket parts you can see on the car are the works filter, turbo back exhaust, and the nisei hotpipe.

Off topic but back when I just had the turbo back and tune (Still had the temp tag on the car) a modded E46 M3 (exhaust, not sure what else he had) decided he wanted to see what the X was all about from a roll, needless to say I'm sure he thinks they are fast enough to spank an E46 in stock form
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

BTW BlackTrack, I wish I had known you were gonna be up at Road Atlanta man I would have stopped over to say hello and check out your X being it's my home track and all. Would have loved to see it run.

Beautiful car btw. What the heck was that GT-R doing climbing on the breaks that hard coming out of the esses into turn 5, that must have cost you a full second?!?

Last edited by Dyno4mance; Aug 20, 2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
BTW BlackTrack, I wish I had known you were gonna be up at Road Atlanta man I would have stopped over to say hello and check out your X being it's my home track and all. Would have loved to see it run.

Beautiful car btw. What the heck was that GT-R doing climbing on the breaks that hard coming out of the esses into turn 5, that must have cost you a full second?!?
The stock look sounds very interesting...IF I were a cheater, this would be a great mod for NASA hahaha

Road Atlanta was awesome! Love that track, very hard to get comfortable with tho, some serious ballsy corners! Wish we could've met, nice to know more people! And yes the guy in the GT-R was pretty slow in the corners, and braking in odd places. But I give him credit for gettin it out on the track!
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
The stock look sounds very interesting...IF I were a cheater, this would be a great mod for NASA hahaha

Road Atlanta was awesome! Love that track, very hard to get comfortable with tho, some serious ballsy corners! Wish we could've met, nice to know more people! And yes the guy in the GT-R was pretty slow in the corners, and braking in odd places. But I give him credit for gettin it out on the track!
Yeah, I've had a few "moments" with turn 12 get it wrong under the bridge and it's touch to gather it back up sometimes, at least there's plenty of gravel at the run off for 10.... can't say the same for 12

If you need anything the next time your at Road Atlanta give us a shout we'd be glad to lend a hand
Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

that is awesome. MIVEC not even dialed in, stock FMIC, probably less than $2000 for the turbo and injectors. and that power on a DD with stock spool, fantastic!

when you guys do an EVORed i'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on a 9 with the Red and a X w/ a blouch Dominator 1 or 2.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
that is awesome. MIVEC not even dialed in, stock FMIC, probably less than $2000 for the turbo and injectors. and that power on a DD with stock spool, fantastic!

when you guys do an EVORed i'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on a 9 with the Red and a X w/ a blouch Dominator 1 or 2.
As soon as someone brings a red in for tuning we will post up the results A lot of folks have been PM'ing asking if we have tuned a red yet but so far no one has asked us to tune one
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

nice#, gotta start saving so i can visit the shop again

Quick Reply: Blouch Dominator 1 rough in tune