Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

DOM II Turbo data lots of it too.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOM II Turbo data lots of it too.

Hello,

I was going to post this in the other thread but I just figured I would just do a seperate thread.

Here it goes.

Here is some of the datalogs graphed out. ( I had some time to mess with it on the airplane.)

First off this is just from one log towards the end of the tuning session. I have more that I will go through but my other computer died while I was transferring the data.

Well onto the data. I have spent a good amount of time with the Mivec on these cars with the stock turbo, the Dominator and the GT35R. I really have to say that the Mivec on these cars is a wonderful system. Now that there is control over both cams you can really get it to make some sweet changes. I have tried to methodically figure out the Mivec in conjunction with reasons for making power but I have yet to figure it out completely yet. I do know that by applying the same methodology from the JDM Evo 9 Mivec map you can yield serious gains. My basic method is to use the JDM Evo X map and then I made some tweaks on the Mivec from there. With that being said I can effectively get the turbo to spool in most occasions about 400-500rpms faster which is great for the bigger turbo cars as they can really benefit from it. That is for another thread though onto the Dominator data.

The load which I was talking about was pretty remarkable. I made a slight mistake in saying the highest load I ever saw was about 320. Going back and checking my logs I had a load spike that read to just about 350 g/sec which needless to say is awesome. This is only at 24psi as well so I see no reason why this turbo is not capable of achieving 50 lb/min of airflow.

I am going to put this against the 35R data and see how they compare later on today.

Full boost was reached between 3800-4100 RPMS which would be quicker but Tucson and where the customer lives is above sea level by I believe 3000-4000 or somewhere around there, so the spool is going to be slightly slower than at sea level.

Knock count just for good measure lol.

As you can see on this run it knocked slightly with one count. To make sure I kept runs consistent I did runs back to back to make sure the car is at the right operating temperature to assure that timing is going to be spot on. The learnt knock retard never changed from 100% during any of the runs so it is safe to assume that this knock event was not really much of anything. Problem was corrected and made great power.

Last but not least is the IDC. Meth is great for these cars as it really keeps the IDC down quite a bit. I would still say doing a fuel pump would not hurt by any means, but in this case not quite necessary.

I think that is all for now. I will create another thread outlining the differences in this turbo and the GT35R, if anybody would like that is.

Also stay tuned for the cam results I should have them next week sometime, at least some basic tests that is.

Thanks and sorry for the long boring post,

Mitch Mckee
Old Sep 6, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW i dont even know what im looking at lol
Old Sep 6, 2008, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just wondering what software you are using there? Thanks for testing the numbers on these turbo upgrades and any data you can get for tips on improving spool via MIVEC timing is awesome as well!
Old Sep 7, 2008, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

Good information, good to see tuners getting into Mivec tuning for the X.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Just wondering what software you are using there? Thanks for testing the numbers on these turbo upgrades and any data you can get for tips on improving spool via MIVEC timing is awesome as well!

ECUTEK.

Mitch
Old Sep 7, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

thats from the ten? hmmm...
Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mitch you said "I would still say doing a fuel pump would not hurt by any means, but in this case not quite necessary." So the thing that was holding me back from getting over 400 awhp was the BOV? Also if i want to crank up the boost to about 29 psi the next time you tune my car i am gunna need a fuel pump and injector's correct. And do you think this car can handle 29 - 32 psi.

PS how's mexico

Last edited by Joe's Evo X; Sep 8, 2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 12:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Mitch, you sure you don't have the in/ex mivec legend switched?
Old Sep 7, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

No I double checked it cause I thought the same thing. I will triple check but I am pretty sure that is right.

Mexico was awesome. I did close to 200mph in a 700hp Techart 997TT.

Anyways I will double check it Razor but I think that is right. I also did that on an airplane at 7am so it may not be right.

Mitch M
Old Sep 7, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Just checked it is correct. I had the same thinking as well but the datalogger says other wise.

Mitch