Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Found oil leak!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2010, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like this stuff would do a better job than what the dealership is using...

Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Thats awesome
Old Nov 7, 2010, 02:52 PM

any updates? my 2010 evo w 5500 miles is starting to leak. i started to just notice it after the first oil change, concidence?

it seems to be coming from the turbo/dp/oil line area, so do you think it's the timing chain tsb?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Timing chain side is still dry on my car but I see a drip forming after a day on my oil pan now by one of the bolts and they are all snug. Last trip to the dealership to get a yearly NYS inspection and I had them look and they said "well within normal to have a leak that small".

LOL

So while I don't think it's going to leak that much and I've noticed no drips on my garage floor with cardboard below the car, I still will look into replacing the oil pan with a baffled one for road racing.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same leak around the front case in the second pic. The dealer is going to fix it but when i had it on the lift i also found the oil cooler line was leaking as well. The dealer told me that from the factory it was tighten correctly and they didn't use enough gunk.

I hope that after it's fixed the issue never comes back. If so my warranty will be voided and won't want to pay as much as they will probably charge.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 05:26 AM

i have the same issue and noticed it after my retune...anyways, called the stealership and im taking my chances here, my car is not stock, fp green with all supporting mods and 400 hp on the car...fingers crossed guys...i will give guys an update tomorrow...
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsitalon1
I am the OP, I have 35k on my motor and my leak is back as well. I am conviced it is a design issue, so the dealers will NOT be able to fix it.

The leak is so small for me (5-6 drops over 5000 miles) that I don't care anymore. I refuse to allow the dealers to touch my car any further.

My question for AMS or any "builder" is have they seen this issue and found a possible resolution?

I am wondering if the 2010 models have this same leak, if not, what's different? Maybe the timing chain cover? If so, can a 2010 timing chain cover fit a 2008 block?

Serious, can anyone get any of the "builders" in here that can report their experience with us?
Just updating this very old thread.

My leak has been back for awhile (have >50k miles). I just ignore it now. I know mitsu can't fix it, so why bother.

As stated above it's a very SMALL leak, which doesn't even leave a drop on the floor in 3500 miles.

I do wonder what design changes were made to resolve this though....

Last edited by tsitalon1; Apr 27, 2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Being the second owner of a 2008 X, I have a oil leak too. Well the car is still under 36k miles, hopefully South Coast Mitsbishi will honour the warranty. But then again, according to Ontario Cali Mitsbishi dealer ; the car has a mediation claim filed pending, which South Coast Mitsubishi performed some engine work on the vehicle from the first owner.

Last edited by Gqracer; Apr 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

The dealer fixed my leak and my oil cooler lines weren't leaking. The dealer had to have the car for 2 days. They told me it would be a 4 hour job and would have my car back the same day. The labor is 4 hours over 2 days.

The timing chain cover design is the issue for the leaks. There is a channel that needs to be filled with RTV and left to dry over night. Once dry this will be the base for the second layer that will make the seal between the RTV and the timing chain cover.

Once the dealer fixes the issue they say that I won't leak again. I guess this is dealer specific.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrex1977
The dealer fixed my leak and my oil cooler lines weren't leaking. The dealer had to have the car for 2 days. They told me it would be a 4 hour job and would have my car back the same day. The labor is 4 hours over 2 days.

The timing chain cover design is the issue for the leaks. There is a channel that needs to be filled with RTV and left to dry over night. Once dry this will be the base for the second layer that will make the seal between the RTV and the timing chain cover.

Once the dealer fixes the issue they say that I won't leak again. I guess this is dealer specific.
Can anyone provide a pic of this "channel"?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 05:56 PM

i'll be checking my 2010 tomarrow for this leak
Old May 6, 2011, 12:00 AM
NRG
Evolving Member

Hey guys...26000 miles and I took my car in for oil change...prior to this I did my 30k and no leak was reported but this time mechanic noticed a small leak and he said he couldn't tell where it was coming from...according to him,he thinks it is leaking from the head gasket.

Since the car is highly modded, they won't honor my warranty and this is South Coast Mitsu. I then asked that I thought people took their cars here because it was a mod friendly dealer but they said they are currently under red tape so they can't swing this...So they gave me a quote of 1500 to remove the head and replace the head gasket...

I think I am going to get a second opinion on this leak...I am not 100% sure it is the head gasket...
Old May 6, 2011, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt its the head gasket. It's probably the same leak I had, the timing chain cover. There is a TSB out for it. Even when I was making 500whp my dealer still fixed the timing chain cover leak for me.
Old May 6, 2011, 07:14 AM
NRG
Evolving Member

I am hoping its not the head gasket too but the mitsu already noted this leak on my profile...Although he said he didn't mention anything about all my mods...If there was a TSB out for this, I wonder why they didn't think of this...
Old May 6, 2011, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because they service a lot more than just evos! They probably see 1/100th of the Evo's that they see other cars, you might of gotten a tech that didn't know them very well.

Quick Reply: Found oil leak!