Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Found oil leak!

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 07:26 AM
NRG
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure I understand that they service many cars but in my opinion, the correct procedure is if they see a leak like that, then the next step should be to look up any TSB for that specific car...Go from there...

Ironically, I am not sure if I am actually considered lucky that he found this leak. He could have easily missed it because there was no pooling on the undertray...He just saw a fresh leak coming from the head...
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Hi,
today I went to the dealer for the fuel line recall and for an oil leak that I've noticed some days ago.
At the beginning I tought it was the known turbo -not so tight- bolt... but it's wasn't.

Here are the pictures:

The oil comes from the oil sump, like if it isn't well sealed, not from other parts.
The mechanic told me that the bolts weren't very tight...
The car is bone stock and there is no oil overfilling: the stick shows that oil wets the maximum hole but not over.
The engine power on the dyno is like all other stock X engines tested on it.

Anyone with that problem?!Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2011, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
As I posted earlier, my oil pan had a dribble of a leak out of one of those oil pan bolts. They all have a very low torque rating but snugging them up with a mechanics feel did reduce the leak to a bare minimum. Same deal can happen on your valve cover gasket. I had slight leaks all around and after snugging them up ever so slightly they didn't leak anymore. Obviously overtorquing these can be really bad and strip out the threads so don't over do it!
Old Jul 30, 2011, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks, now they have been torqued a little bit more, I'll keep an eye on them!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

bringing this thread back...my leak
Is back and it is from the timing chain cover. Mitsu did put the "stop leak" fix they say aka JB Weld maybe to fix the leak..like mentioned from previous posts, quick & dirty way of a fix...now it's not leaking from where the JB weld is but still leaking from the cover. this is ridiculous...the tsb fix instructed by Mitsu is to put JB weld to stop the leak!!!

Oh and my cv boot on the passenger side is leaking and flicking gunk all over the place as well :/
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:16 PM

BACK FROM THE DEAD!

I bought my 2008 Evo GSR with 27k miles. I noticed the leak on my first oil change at 30k miles. Who knows how long it has been leaking... and heres a colored version of the tsb

Last edited by cjs_evoxgsr; Sep 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM.