Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Advice on Intake choice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2008, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Intake choice

I am debating which intake to order for my X. I want to have an airbox protecting the intake from dirt and use the factory scoop. My choices seem to be the Harman Motive Intake with box or AME Box, which from my understanding is compatible with the AMS intake?!?

Could anybody give some advice? Also the harman motive intake locates the BOV to the front, I read the pro's to that, but what are the cons? What about the MAF on both systems? The breather bungs are included on the HM intake, but not AMS, what is the purpose of those? they say for the factory hoses.

Finally AME has a complete intake kit, but the intake looks strange to me, any comments?

Any help is appreciated.

By the way, I am stock and plan to add the intake with UR Cat back and eventually probably Z-chip with MBC.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Nov 2, 2008, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

This question can easily be researched. I thought I have seen multiple intake threads in the last few weeks.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

not in detail. there have been threads about intakes and people said they like the AMS intake. Not much has been said about the Harman Motive intake. I am unsure about the answers to the other questions I have asked. I am also looking for an answer to the compatibility question, between the AMS intake and the AEM box.

Since you seem to not have any answers to those questions, ...
Old Nov 2, 2008, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

If you get a z chip or a tune an intake is pretty much useless.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
not totally true....

here is my recomendation. Get a drop in filter (HKS, K&N, Works) and get the Cobb or Nisei intake pipe. These will removed the stock elbow on the air box that is very bumpy and not smooth, this will allow the air to be less turbulent as it enters the turbo.

I got the K&N filter and the cobb intake pipe. total cost is 150 bucks and this setup will easily work on a 400+ hp evo.

John
Old Nov 2, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by J5isalive2
not totally true....

John
I LOST HP with no filter at all, and also lost HP with a Buschur on the dyno.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

notice i did not say to buy an intake.... My recomendation retains the stock airbox as well as the stock MAF pipe....
Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by J5isalive2
not totally true....

here is my recomendation. Get a drop in filter (HKS, K&N, Works) and get the Cobb or Nisei intake pipe. These will removed the stock elbow on the air box that is very bumpy and not smooth, this will allow the air to be less turbulent as it enters the turbo.

I got the K&N filter and the cobb intake pipe. total cost is 150 bucks and this setup will easily work on a 400+ hp evo.

John
i see intake pipe on your post, did you mean the UICP?
Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
Err .. not true ??

You're telling me 2 things thats hard to believe since I'm quite well versed in the software side now

Myth buster No. 1

Stock filter is not restrictive (the element) ..
I tested the pressure drop from the snorkel side and post filter side .. 20" water pressure differential ..
HKS drop in is 5" water ..
I do not know whats the equivalent in psi drop .. but 15" is like alot to me

BUSTED !!

An aftermarket filter with tune = a stock filter with tune ..
Using the No.1 for reference .. lets say 5"-10" is aftermarket equivalent.. and for analogy .. would you say a stuffy nose is easier to breathe than a clear nose ??
So saying .. your tune can be better optimised .. not only in fuelling .. compared to stock intake ..

Now that you have the capability go do the testing yourself again .. this time round .. don't just run without tuning without the filter .. its screwed up because of something else and I already know what that is .. I'll leave the 2nd question open ended as it is a 'touchy' question for now ..

You know where to find me if you need more clarifications !!
Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:10 PM

if it is a stock turbo and your really just running simply bolt ons...its hard to beat the factory setup with a high flow filter. Works has a really good one. The problem of heat soaking is not an issue if you run the stock airbox with this filter.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The discussion is interesting and all threads in this forum have not really discussed the benefits of the intake when also upgrading to a ecu flash.

Without the flash, the air intakes like AEM can give 30+hp by leaning out the mixture. When you flash, you do the same thing and more. So statements have been made that the aftermarket intake systems are not necessary with a flash as the stock box works well for moderate power increases. This begs the question, than what exactly can an aftermarket air intake do when a tune is also present? Does the intake system make tuning easier since there is less leaning out that needs to be done?

Is there a downside to an intake system if you have a tune? Or just a waste of money? Can you argue or show results that the open filter design will flow more air than the factory box and therefore is better? Assuming that you upgrade the intake pipe like the Cobb, you have similar air flow to the AEM replacement pipe, so you are really only comparing filters and their housings at this point?

I assume that the stock air box and filter configuration is more restrictive than the AEM box and filter but could be wrong. Someone needs to do a comparison of a tune + stock air intake vs tune + aftermarket air intake on the same car and same dyno to really see the advantages.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smgevo
The discussion is interesting and all threads in this forum have not really discussed the benefits of the intake when also upgrading to a ecu flash.

Without the flash, the air intakes like AEM can give 30+hp by leaning out the mixture. When you flash, you do the same thing and more. So statements have been made that the aftermarket intake systems are not necessary with a flash as the stock box works well for moderate power increases. This begs the question, than what exactly can an aftermarket air intake do when a tune is also present? Does the intake system make tuning easier since there is less leaning out that needs to be done?

Is there a downside to an intake system if you have a tune? Or just a waste of money? Can you argue or show results that the open filter design will flow more air than the factory box and therefore is better? Assuming that you upgrade the intake pipe like the Cobb, you have similar air flow to the AEM replacement pipe, so you are really only comparing filters and their housings at this point?

I assume that the stock air box and filter configuration is more restrictive than the AEM box and filter but could be wrong. Someone needs to do a comparison of a tune + stock air intake vs tune + aftermarket air intake on the same car and same dyno to really see the advantages.
I can't test the car like you mentioned .. as it's hard to find a dyno here .. and its not cheap to start with ..

but you can also tell from the way you adjust the maps on the ecu whether the car responds well and is making power or not ..

Everyone assumes intakes affects AFR only .. this assumption is only partly true ..
changing the intakes changes the way the ecu calculates its points in a 3D map .. this affects the boost, the AFR, and the timing .. not to mention a host of other things ..

stock intake
untuned - stock

tuned - you change all the parameters to fit what the car has .. so you get the best out of it ..

Aftermarket intake
untuned - this maybe good because you lean out, run higher timing and possibly higher boost ..

tuned - since the values are changed and the ecu calculates airflow differently now, the maps you have are totally off .. if gives to say that you will be running crappier than before ..

stock filter => after market
Again this is subjective because there ARE crappy intakes out there

Generally .. if you have the ability to retune the car .. you'll find that you may need to increase fuelling slightly .. but what I've always found is that you definitely need to increase timing alot because the new intake brings you into areas of the maps that is not normally seen by the stock car .. this is where you gain the power ..

Stock filter + tune = xx hp (work within the confines of the stock maps)
good aftermarket + tune will always be >> stock filter + tune .. it will never be equal (work above and beyond the confines of the stock maps)

hopefully you get your wish someday with someone doing the test and has the ability to retune their own cars ..
Old Nov 2, 2008, 07:33 PM

Here's a review of the Harman Motive intake. Note that the reviewer asked without the box, but it's still the same intake.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ghlight=motive
Old Nov 2, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by beetle_orange
i see intake pipe on your post, did you mean the UICP?
do yourself a favor and search Cobb Intake Pipe, or Cobb Inlet pipe.... or Nisei inlet pipe/intake pipe.

Stock airbox is awesome and flows great. Stock elbow is a LITTLE restrictive and you can replace that if you really wanna mess with the intake system.

This intake topic has been addressed hundreds of times... Everyone do youself a favor and search a bit.

Quick Reply: Advice on Intake choice