Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

rear diff failure anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
rear diff failure anyone?

any of these incidents occurring anywhere?

i just read about one in ct. and tre is already promoting some type of solution for the problem.

it seems like a very weak spot, its an all alum case with several gears and clutch packs. as opposed to just one iron pumpkin with a simple strong ring and pinion.

Eddie Rosado
Old Nov 10, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't heard of anyone blowing out the rear diff yet. I think that AMS said that when they were making 480 awhp that they decided to go with a cusco rear diff for durability. When they removed the stock AYC diff, the fluid smelt burnt but I don't think there was any sign of damage. Are you talking about the X or the 8/9?

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Nov 10, 2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:31 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We haven't heard of any of this yet as well . We have 22,000 miles with well over 100 hard launches and no issues so far . We have clean fluids in the tranny , diff and T-case . This is a very well built car , or at least we think so - so far .
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Im going to go out in a limb here, and say he's on the wrong forum...
Old Nov 11, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, but I don't even think the 9's had issues with that though. I don't have a clue what this guy is talking about.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xtremeboost
We haven't heard of any of this yet as well . We have 22,000 miles with well over 100 hard launches and no issues so far . We have clean fluids in the tranny , diff and T-case . This is a very well built car , or at least we think so - so far .
What types of fluid do you guys run? Also, does the rear diff have two different portions that take two different fluids? I know that there are clutch packs and what not inside of it, but I think I remember the manual saying that the AYC "portion" of the diff takes a different type of fluid than the main portion. Is this the same fluid as the reserve that's in the trunk? Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I haven't heard of anyone blowing out the rear diff yet. I think that AMS said that when they were making 480 awhp that they decided to go with a cusco rear diff for durability. When they removed the stock AYC diff, the fluid smelt burnt but I don't think there was any sign of damage. Are you talking about the X or the 8/9?
Old Nov 12, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
Im going to go out in a limb here, and say he's on the wrong forum...
nope, this is it. evo x drivetrain on evom.net.... yep right place.

Eddie Rosado
Old Nov 12, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i never heard any of that. You know something what we dont?
Old Nov 12, 2008, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Yeah, but I don't even think the 9's had issues with that though. I don't have a clue what this guy is talking about.
Originally Posted by jon@tre

EVOLUTION LIMITED SLIP REAR DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE

Finally, Mitsubishi equipped the rear differential of USDM EVO with their legendary Super Active Yaw Control, (S-AYC). This sophisticated computer controlled unit is capable of biasing the power to either rear tire for better control of the vehicle. While this will prove to make the EVO even better handling than the 2003-2006 model and a blast to drive it is not strong enough for hardcore drag racing or those who think that Mitsubishi built the EVO for drag racing. I can not put enough emphasis on this; you will break this very pricey rear differential in more ways than you can imagine and it's only available as a complete unit. Consider yourself warned. Now for the rest of you who understand that the EVO is a production version of a rally car and that it is better suited for sliding sideways through the woods or around a road course and not drag racing you will find the Super AYC to work in your favor and prove to be durable. Aftermarket computer controllers are available, please contact us for more details.

REAR DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE

We are now offering services to improve the survival of the ring & pinion and the Super-AYC unit. Please contact us for details.

the thing does look pretty complicated and susceptible to damage. aluminum case, high amount of small parts, and a lot of room for someone to mess up if they attempt to rebuild it.

Eddie Rosado
Old Nov 12, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i never heard any of that. You know something what we dont?
and no not at all. i'm actually trying to gather what the fix is. if its mix match of parts.... or if someone is actually selling a replacement for whatever the weak link is. if its a treatment somewhere. or if its just a regular diff in its place..???

Eddie Rosado
Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

i guess it isnt that common then huh? i'm glad cuz i'm seriously considering one of these cars.

Eddie Rosado
Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Unless you're launching the car with big HP, it's no concern from what I can gather. The car isn't meant for drag racing; it's a road race car.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

ehh, to some.

Eddie Rosado
Old Nov 12, 2008, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Just because it can be turned into a drag car with the right upgrades doesn't mean that it was meant to be one. The EVO was designed to be a road race car, which is why it even comes with things like AYC and huge brakes to begin with. There's not really any debating this, it is what it is.

Quick Reply: rear diff failure anyone?