Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

What oil to use on an X

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, but what's the trade off? If all those extra additives are so much better, why doesnt mobile 1 use them?
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

I believe the EPA lowered the amount of zinc/phospherous additives(unless for racing/offroad use) and the added expense, I'm guessing.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoX_SA
I saw the video with the Eneos 0w50 and it looked impressive. I have tried Royal Purple and Mobil 1. So in about 3600 miles I am going to change to Eneo 0w50 it seems to be a top notch oil and I believe this is the same oil they run in alot of F1 cars or something like that. Plus if you check the vendor section you can get a case for pretty cheap.
where's the vendor section?
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

AMSoil
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:28 PM

Not sure what it's worth, but I've been useing Mobil 1 10-30 in my 99 Eclipse since I got it with 47,000 miles and it still seems to run like the day I got it. I was running the stock t25 till about 80K miles then upgrade to a EVO16G (19-20psi). Sure there are better performance motor oils out there but I'm perfectly fine with Mobil.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stevo611
where's the vendor section?
Its in the vendor sales section, or you can simply go on youtube and type evo x and eneos.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

The Evo is Designed to run on a 30 wgt. oil.. The Eneos has been shown by forum members to shear rather quickly as noted by "Lifter Tick" at about 2000-2500 miles and goes away when the oil is changed again.

Any HP increase is great but you must be careful as to what the expense is, and wearing an engine, Turbo or even the Cams is not "inexpensive... You can actually add stoddard solvent to oil and the engine will not only have lower oil temps but an increase in HP... As you grind the internals to death.

In their so-called "test slash sales promo" they wrap a rag around the competition so you can't see who it is. A nice trick they learned from Royal Purple.

Where some salesman pulled the wool over your eyes at SEMA or wherever is that the ENEOS is NOT a lower viscosity oil... It is a 50 wgt...

As far as Mobil 1 in OEM Cars.... It is a good oil no doubt. Not the best and as the OEM's get it below cost and Mobil 1 Pays partially for the printing of the Owners Manuals and the manufacture of the oil caps with Mobil 1 on them, it is no surprise that the OEM's use it in their High Perf Cars...

AMSOIL SSO 0W-30 is the Hot Ticket on most EVO's followed by AMSOIL's ATM 10W-30... The Racing Dominator oils are great as well for the All Out EVO's putting out some serious HP but we recommend cars with No CAT's.

Doc
Old Nov 22, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
ok, but what's the trade off? If all those extra additives are so much better, why doesnt mobile 1 use them?
The AMSOIL Racing Dominator is recommended for cars with No CAT's.

It is not considered a "Street Legal" oil due to the overdose of ZDDP which has been removed/reduced in oils over the last years. The reason is contamination of the Catalytic Converters.

These oils Do Not have an API or ILSAC Rating due to the High ZDDP content.

ZDDP is currently the only EP Additives on the market that can be added to oil to prevent wear on cams where there are Flat Tappets, Aggressive Profiles and/or High Spring Rates...

Not all Mobil 1 oils carry the API or ILSAC Licensing either.

Doc
Old Nov 22, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

haha i use walmart brand synthetic oil. i think its like $13 a gallon. im cheap...must be the chinese in me
Old Nov 22, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by theoverachiever
haha i use walmart brand synthetic oil. i think its like $13 a gallon. im cheap...must be the chinese in me

Uhhh,, OK.... Your Cheap.... But it isn't even a Synthetic and that engine is real cheap I bet..

Doc
Old Nov 22, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
Uhhh,, OK.... Your Cheap.... But it isn't even a Synthetic and that engine is real cheap I bet..

Doc
its not synthetic??? im pretty sure this stuff is made by one of the major oil manufacturers...be it quaker state havoline etc. either way ive been using it for years and never had a problem.

Last edited by theoverachiever; Nov 22, 2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 07:59 PM
GNR
Evolving Member

Doesn`t Walmat use mobil 1 or Shell synthetics oils?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 08:00 PM
GNR
Evolving Member

If you r cheap, you can use Volvoline or pensoil synthetic oils sold @ walmart..
Old Nov 22, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by theoverachiever
Do you really put this in your Evo?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
Do you really put this in your Evo?
haha yea i figure synthetic oil is synthetic oil. its not like im putting canola in my car.

guess what i also fill up gas at costco

Quick Reply: What oil to use on an X