Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

What oil to use on an X

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joehoo
I just hate amsoil dealers propaganda. They all have stories about having a car with 250k miles and how they still run great because of amsoil. I have a 94 F150 with 320k miles and I use nothing but regular 10w-30 and its still going strong. IF amsoil was that great why dont most drag race, nascar, indy car teams use it? Im sure you have some propaganda saying otherwise.

sorry I was on my soap box just now
Originally Posted by drewgray
No reply to this Oildoc?

I have not come across anyone at the track that runs Amsoil.

Sure, but he will just call it propoganda... LOL

320K on F-150.... Standard oil change interval = over 100 Oil changes...

345K on my Ford Van... 12 oil changes... Still tows a trailer that is 2500 pounds when empty... No Internal work done... not even injectors... Auto Trans has over 220K on it... only 4 pan changes..

Yes we are in Indy cars.... Yes we are in NASCAR... Mark Martin's Valvoline car never had a drop of Valvoline in it... I almost lost a NASCAR account because I let it known and the Idiot started making phone calls... Will not happen again... Some of the Top Monster Trucks use AMSOIL, C.O.R.R., Champ Boat, Off Shore and others... Oh wait... that's right... they don't have a Sticker on them... LOL

I sell oil, Tranny and TC/Diff fluids to some EVO Race Teams... They must be having a lot of problems... see all the bad comments from them ?

Doc
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:13 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If i was to buy amsoil it would be from you then{thumbup**
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

so whats wrong with Motul oil?

Motul is a good oil... But a full Ester oil can collect more moisture than a PAO w/Esters and in some cases there can be seal compatability issues.

It was found to be a little odd that when 10W-40 Motul and 20W-50 Motul 300V oils were tested that results were quite a bit different in the High Temp/High Shear Test.. The 20W-50 Did not hold up as well as the 10W-40... Could be due to several reasons... Quality of Base Stocks and/or Additives would be suspect. Still they did quite well.

Even so... The Motul greatly outperformed most of the other oils... Especially Royal Purple which sheared out of Grade in the First Squence of this critical 3 sequence test.

Overall, the Motul 10W-40 faired quite well.. If it wasn't for the Moisture and Seal Compatibility.... I would almost pick it over Mobil 1.

But as it Stands,..... AMSOIL, Mobil 1 and then Motul.... Personal Preference ? No... Just going by ASTM Tests and 35 yrs of experience..

Doc

Last edited by Oil Doc; Dec 5, 2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OilDoc ftw. Again.....Again....*

*Tropic Thunder joke...you might not get it....
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you do when you change your oil and you check it right away and it still shows signs of blackness in it? I don't want to put some chemical in my engine so what do you do about that to flush it out?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by junction
What do you do when you change your oil and you check it right away and it still shows signs of blackness in it? I don't want to put some chemical in my engine so what do you do about that to flush it out?
You have an oil cooler, cooling lines and various places in the engine that will hold some old oil... Most EVO's will only hold just under 5 qts or right at 5 when the oil is changed... If you were to blow out the cooler and lines as a few of my customers do, you will hold about 5.3 qts... That is most likely where your little bit of darkness is coming from.

If you believe it may be due to your previous oil leaving a build-up, and you do not wish to use a product such as AMSOIL AEF Engine Flush, it will take a couple changes with either AMSOIL ATM 10W-30 or SSO 0W-30 which due to their Eter content, will actually clean out the contaminants.

Also, be sure to use the AMSOIL EA Seris Filter which is the Highest Performance Filter you can buy without putting an AMSOIL by-pass set up on.

Doc
Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Castrol German Syntec 0w30 - coupled with a Napa Gold Filter - here's the result for my car (EVO9). Doesn't have any problems hitting 5K. The car had 24K miles when I sent it in to get analyzed.

I changed my Wife's EVO X @ 962 miles w/ the same oil. I'll send it in at around 5K and post up the results.

Last edited by funks; Feb 24, 2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^

Great results! Keep us updated
Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:10 PM

Those results are for a 9 not an X. Totally different engine, it's irrelevant.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Xcited
Those results are for a 9 not an X. Totally different engine, it's irrelevant.
I changed my wife's oil (she has an EVOX) @ 913 miles w/ German Castrol, I'll post up a the oil analysis report when it hits 5K.

It's not stock though, it has the CA-91 Stage 1 Access Port tune.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Two points:
First, there is no single "Mobil 1"; there are many types of M1 and from hearing from the "oil Dr's" of this world, the Extended Performance M1 is the best M1 for forced induction engines.
Second, there are many oils out there but focus should be on synthetic only and selection should be based upon ability to protect the engine against things like excessive fuel dilution which hopefully is confined to <15K mi in the 4B11T engine. For this reason alone, I am using AMSOIL Signature for it appears to ameliorate this condition the best based upon oil analyses. Just my $0.02.

Later, Ken
Old Feb 25, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

I'm using the AMSoil racing dominator 10-30 and I'm very pleased with it. From what I understand though, it shouldn't be used if you are running a cat though as it has additives that will harm the cat.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i like the Mobil 1 extended .

why? because it is easy to get, and i never had a problem with Mobil 1 before at all.
The same reason i use V-Power from Shell.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robevo RS

why? because it is easy to get, and i never had a problem with Mobil 1 before at all.
I use the same Combo.

I been running Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 on my second oil change, running now 3500 miles. No changes in oil level, oil is dark. But color doesn't matter. Running M1 filter as well. No issues. I will continue to use M1 or Castrol in my car. It's too hard to get AMSOIL in my area, and no point ordering it from internet and paying for shipping and taxes.

I will run 5000 mile intervals. Next set I will send to Blackstone for testing.

I run a 23psi Vortech v1 blower on a 3G Eclipse, running dino Castrol GTX 10w-40. Running perfect.

No doubt AMSoil, M1, Castrol are all good oils.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS

But all oils are pretty much easy to get....Amsoil is just as easy too. I switched to amsoil a while ago, but I have not done any analysis. I used to use Mobil1 and the oil was still pretty black at 2500 mile intervals. I have noticed cleaner oil at 3500 mile intervals with Amsoil. and when i get my car back i will have it tested.

I know my car is a IX but I honestly dont think it makes a difference comparing IX's and X's with the same oils.

Quick Reply: What oil to use on an X