Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS single exit catback exhaust opinions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS single exit catback exhaust opinions

Hey guys,

I did a quick search and didn't really find any reviews on the AMS catback exhaust, I'm just wondering if there is anyone that has the setup on the their evo and what are your opinions about it. How was the install if anyone did it themselves? Any feel in horsepower gains? I'm trying to decide between the perrin dual exhaust, UR exhaust or the AMS one. Thanks alot for your help.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

You didn't search too well considering I wrote one...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=345670
Old Nov 29, 2008, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

You need to make a decision on whether you are going dual or single first. In part, this is a subject decision. From a performance point of view, there is a significant weight difference between the single vs the dual set up.

Later, Ken
AMS Intake &Exhaust
Iveytune (322 all around; dynojet)
Robispec K&W
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

I have the AMS single catback, i love... it's loud when you get on it but can be very discret also. it's a grea every day driver.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
i wanna go single but it looks weird in pics as if the tip sticks too far out from the bumper. i need to see it in person so i can make a decision. evoxstylin do you have any pics from a better angle i think i seen this on youtube too
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jayevo23
i wanna go single but it looks weird in pics as if the tip sticks too far out from the bumper. i need to see it in person so i can make a decision. evoxstylin do you have any pics from a better angle i think i seen this on youtube too
I agree. Based on the pictures in the link above, the muffler sits too far back. I just asked for this exhaust for Christmas, so I hope it's an illusion in the pictures posted or that AMS shortened it up with the latest batch of these...
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Guys, if it becomes too much shorter you are going to have heat issues with the rear bumper. The single pipe with higher throughput than OEM you are going to have hotter exhaust outputs.

later, Ken
Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Ken, do you have any pictures of yours installed? I understand what you're saying about rear bumper burn... but sitting the muffler/tip 3 inches deeper into the car isn't going to make or break the temperature situation IMO. If mine comes and sits that far back, I'm chopping it and re-tig'ing it.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, here are some pictures of mine with the AMS single exhaust(https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...nscontinental). The different angles give different perspectives of the degree to which the tip extends beyond the bumper. That said, I just went out and put my eyeball directly over the bumper and only 1/2" of the tip can be seen and it is only on the extreme left hand side representing ~1" of length. Again, if you put it under any further, there may some heat issues with the bumper. Hope this helps.

Later, Ken
Attached Thumbnails AMS single exit catback exhaust opinions-evo-x-.jpg  

Last edited by KPerez; Dec 1, 2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks, Ken... it looks perfect on your car. For some reason, the guy who posted at the top looks like he got a much further back placement. Who knows...
Old Dec 1, 2008, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have AMS and i am addicted to the sound but my neighbours aern't .especially at WOT and with cone air filter the swoosh sound. I personally think evo should have came with single exit exhaust with different rear bumper.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HybridKOOP
Thanks, Ken... it looks perfect on your car. For some reason, the guy who posted at the top looks like he got a much further back placement. Who knows...
i dont think that its too far back i just think that it should be mounted a little higher then what it is at.

the one on the black X looks sexy though
Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by si_to_evo
I have AMS and i am addicted to the sound but my neighbours aern't .especially at WOT and with cone air filter the swoosh sound. I personally think evo should have came with single exit exhaust with different rear bumper.
how loud is it? man i got followed by the cops the other night so im not sure if ill be getting this one. plus people are hating around my way somebody put a nickel bag on rear truck how lame is that whole knows what they would have put in my exhaust if i had the ams
Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

how loud is it? man i got followed by the cops the other night so im not sure if ill be getting this one. plus people are hating around my way somebody put a nickel bag on rear truck how lame is that whole knows what they would have put in my exhaust if i had the ams

... so did you smoke it?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

It is not very loud but right where i want an exhaust to be. I hated the stock evo exhaust lol sounded like a base lancer but now its an evo{thumbup**

Quick Reply: AMS single exit catback exhaust opinions