Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

stroker kit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stroker kit

Did anyone put a stroker kit in their X yet?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

I think JUN makes one. Someone correct me if Im wrong but i think its a 2.2 kit.

Jesse
Old Dec 6, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Cosworth also has one
Old Dec 6, 2008, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the OP want's to know who is running one, not who makes them.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Jun makes 2.3L

HKS and Cosworth are both 2.2L
Old Dec 8, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone know the stroke on these kits?

I still am completely miffed as to why anyone would run a stroker in these cars with today's turbo technology. It is simply a means for vendors to make money from people that don't spend their lives working on performance engines. In regards to the 4G63 kits with 100 and 102 mm strokes in a 9 inch deck...that is absurd for a turbo motor that people want to last more than a few thousand miles. The increased stress on rings and rod bearings far outweighs the benefit of a couple hundred rpm of turbo spool. I guarantee a 4B11 with a big stroke and big boost will see cylinder distortion in short order. Not only that, most of the aftermarket cranks have about half the quality control of the OEM piece...which is bulletproof.

If people want big turbos to spool a little better and to make good power across the board, spend your money on a good cylinder head and proper length intake runners to make the power curve look like you want it to, and enjoy your longer life short stroke motor. I can't understand why people take a large turbo that moves the power curve up, then limit the rpm of the motor with these huge cranks...your usable powerband just became very limited.

On these heads where the valve is very close to the outside of the bore, there are things that can be done in the port beyond conventional porting that redirects the airflow and can really change how the motor behaves and pick up big power. Cylinder head development on these inline 4 cylinders is still very premature at this point and people need to think outside the box a little. We have put together a lot of these stroker motors against our best advice to the customer not to...and they go ahead and do it based on some crap they read on a web forum (much like this ) Some I can change their minds by showing them the maintenance schedule for both engines

Stick with the short stroke...especially on this new motor. There is so much power to be made without shortening the life of the motor.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:24 AM

I beg to differ with the above regarding the usefulness of strokers. But then my last car was a Corvette, so I am a big fan of increased displacement.

There is no reason for a well-engineered stroker kit to shorten the life of your engine, provided that you adjust your redline appropriately.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by damen
I beg to differ with the above regarding the usefulness of strokers. But then my last car was a Corvette, so I am a big fan of increased displacement.

There is no reason for a well-engineered stroker kit to shorten the life of your engine, provided that you adjust your redline appropriately.
So you are telling me that a 100mm stroke in a 9 inch deck should have no impact on wear and tear on rings, bearings, and cylinder bores vs. an 88mm stroke in a 9 inch deck?

It is one thing on a naturally aspirated engine, but for a turbo car that people want to get some life out of it is completely misunderstood. I can't complain too much...these shops keep putting 2.3 strokers in these EVOs and we will keep busy putting new motors together. No business better than repeat business

The power gained is available elsewhere through induction and injector placement, in addition to modern turbo technology.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

I'm no expert and I wouldn't doubt that the additional length in stroke could have negative effects. However, I was under the impression that the cranks used were actually OEM quality pieces. Also, why would some of the most reputable tuners in the world use them? IE. Buschur, AMS, etc.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i believe buschur has even said that the best motor for drag racing use is a built 2.0 that can rev high and get your full potential out of your turbo.. Instead of restricting it to that 6500-7000 rpm line on a 2.3

please correct if I’m wrong
Old Dec 8, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PureDsm
i believe buschur has even said that the best motor for drag racing use is a built 2.0 that can rev high and get your full potential out of your turbo.. Instead of restricting it to that 6500-7000 rpm line on a 2.3

please correct if I’m wrong

So true...look at their best drag oriented setups from both shops. Short stroke, turn it high. The Ecotec Pro FWD cars...short stroke, the Honda Pro turbo cars...short stroke.

I have 3 friends with 2.3 motors from XXXXXXXXXXXXXX with the Eagle 100mm cranks in them and they have all spun bearings in under 5000 miles. One friend has ruined 2 motors in under 2000 miles of regular puttering around...not even racing the car. Back when we did complete motors, we did 10 stroker motors in the last 3 years and have been fortunate enough to not have a failure, but we also put them on a strict maintenance program. If it was up to me and not the customer, they would never have them to begin with.

I didn't mean to start a big argument. Just wanted to put in my 39 cents worth of crap