Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

S-AWC shut off/trouble

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2009, 02:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, i'm afraid next week i will have to service it and get this fixed. i wonder if it is the fluid, or a pump or something... whatever the case, it's a pita
Old Jan 30, 2009, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

My pump is toast as well. They ordered me one in but said it was on backorder so prolly 1-6 weeks to get it! What ever not like I waited 8 weeks already for them to get off their a$$ and do something about it. Looks like this will be a recall if so many people are having it. -30C is where mine crapped out.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:56 PM
Account Disabled

any updates by anyone? i'm going to call tomorrow and see if the local dealer has time to check it out. should i ask about the pump?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:57 PM

I had the same problem in december. I made an appointment and they said that only 1 of the evox's they sold hadn't had the same problem. It turned out to be the hydraulic pump for the AWC. Warranty covered it. I think when I took my car out this evening the pump piled up again because the same warning came on. I thought it was from the cold but when i took it out tonite it was only -12. The warranty claim on the repairs the firs time was $3000.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 07:07 AM
Account Disabled

jeeeeesus. man that's gotta be annoying to have it come up again.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

wow that sucks
i took mine to the dealer. They checked it out and said they will replace the pump. They said pump will take a couple months to order. They need to find a better fluid.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:03 AM
Account Disabled

couple months? man... i have an appointment later, we'll see what my prob was.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by tomatoEVO
couple months? man... i have an appointment later, we'll see what my prob was.
Ya. I just made another appt. for tomorrow to see if it is actually the pump again. But I asked if they had pumps in stock and they said it will be 2 months because of the huge back order on it right now. This sure sux biznalls.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:50 PM
Account Disabled

mine was the damn steering wheel position sensor, part won't be in until Monday. so I gotta pick up the car later.

at least it's covered under warranty
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

^^ seems that the steering wheel position sensor has major issues with many 10's
Mitsu better inform the dealers!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:36 AM
Account Disabled

i know, seems like mitsu is being really stubborn about not making a recall and just putting better parts on. awc pump, steering wheel sensor, etc.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

[INFO: I previously had the pump replaced -- I can't seem to find the thread I posted that in, I thought is was this one.]

I am bringing this thread back from the dead. For a reason. My ACD pump may be gone again. This time the solution/cause seems to be more apparent to me.

The ATF (factory fill) oil in the resevoir in the trunk is frozen solid.

The problem I had about 2 years ago is back. This is after a pump replacement and ACD reflash that came out in the fall of 2009 (3 months after replacing the pump) that was supposed to keep the problem from popping up again.

The pump lasted although the winter of 2009/2010. Although it was as cold in Northern alberta last winter as it was the year before.

This winter has been colder, and colder for longer. After the temperature hit -38 Celsius last Monday the problem came back.

Now that the car is either out of warranty or close to it (2.5 years/65,000km on drivetrain) I am worried about the replacement costing a lot of money; especially concerning labour. It also stinks that this tends to happen when you need the ACD system the most. At least when it comes in handy the most.

In any case I am still not sure if the pump is ruined. But I did thaw out the car in a friends garage and the ATF fluid was not frozen anymore. But it did not help matters.

I am starting to believe this is what is ruining the pump. Not the computer. Unless of course the ACD ECU is programmed to shut off the pump in cold weather or something.

I would wildly guess that an ATF fluid more suited to cold climates would fare better; at least in the winter.

To top it all of my gear box oil is also getting super thick in the this weather and the clutch is taking a longer time to engage thus damaging it and the car is slipping in the higher gears.

Decription
I have pulled up the Code ACD C161e again. With the exact seem symptoms from last time. The S-AWC control light (the one that says Snow/Tarmac/Gravel) flashes on and off for a while before finally turning of completely and soon after the Service Car light with the Front wheels turned to the side, same as many others have seen before.
Obvious lack of traction occuring expecially in the icy and still 30 below road conditions.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:33 PM

Just reading how cold it is gave me chills. It was only -15F (-26C)last night here.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Bump for update on the first post and for interest.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Even though we have had only down to -15C this winter, S-AWC service required started to show up my X MR about a week ago and stays on now. Reseting ECU does not help. No CEL is triggered. Cannot choose Tarmac/Grawel/Snow.

Is it the case when oil pump is gone? (This would be really bad as my car is out warranty)

Is there a way the pump could be REPAIRED, not replaced with new? What exactly happenes to the pump? Is it the wiring that is burnt?

Quick Reply: S-AWC shut off/trouble