Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

S-AWC shut off/trouble

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-AWC shut off/trouble

****UPDATE-----Refer to https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9004423-post72.html (post 72). for previous update.

The pump will not be covered under warranty. Even though they did it the first time.

So now that my pump has died on me a second time, I called ahead to mitsubishi to try to get them to order the pump ahead of time, so I wouldn't have to go out of town just to get them order it, then come back a month later to get it installed.

The person I spoke to at service got back to me and said my VIN wasn't covering warranty on this part and it would not be covered at all. He was given no explanation it just tells him whether it is covered or not. So he tried to look into it and got nowhere.

I asked about the drivetrain warranty and he said he still didn't know it wasn't covered. Even if the car is modded that pump shouldn't be affected by that. Especially if its only happening when its cold.

This is a fairly common problem that doesn't really get covered that much on these forums, maybe because it isnt as glamorous. But I have heard of this happening to quite a few people.

I am waiting for the Service person to contact me on monday and then i will contact mitsubishi canada.

My S-AWC Service Light has come on (not the Check Engine though). This disables S-AWC and S-AYC. Though ABS and Stability Control still work.

Its been below -25C for the last 3 weeks and -30C for the last week. I am thinking it maybe be due to the cold weather. All the fluids look good. Not quite sure what the issue is. My tires are all up to pressure.

I am thinking it is a wiring issue.

I have also done a donut in the parking lot and the car shut down for 10 minutes (def not overheating). I thought it may be the fuel inertia switch but as I couldnt find it, the initial problem solved itself.

So it just started after a couple minutes of driving one day and now the service light comes on within minutes of driving. But if i shut off the car then quickly restart it and drive right away it can take up to 15 minutes for the light to come on. But if it idles for a minute it comes on immeadiatly.

As its snowing I would like to have the S-AWC Surface Selector available but the car drives fine without it.

As of now the car will be towed to the nearest dealership for service. But i have an accessport coming in soon so i am going to check any codes before I send it away.

Any ideas guys?

Im also going to get it into a heated garage soon to see if maybe some ice got somewhere.

Last edited by solipsism; Jan 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

I can't even imagine anything that cold. More power to you!
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

It has been very cold out here but my SAWC still works but i have got some trouble codes coming up. P1870, P1235, P0135.

There is a possiblity where the snow is causing short curcut or snow build up on senors. Definatly park the car in a heated garage and see what happends.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dragon
It has been very cold out here but my SAWC still works but i have got some trouble codes coming up. P1870, P1235, P0135.

There is a possiblity where the snow is causing short curcut or snow build up on senors. Definatly park the car in a heated garage and see what happends.
99.99% your MAF sensor gone bad. You need to replace it. GO to the dealer it is a warranty item.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

These similar problems and codes are happening to many people. This MAF is becoming a widespread problem especially after tuning.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Yearlongstorm
These similar problems and codes are happening to many people. This MAF is becoming a widespread problem especially after tuning.
Why would the Mass Airflow Sensor trip the S-AWC light, and not the CEL?
That makes no sense to me. I don't understand why it would have anything at all to do with the drive system(s)
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

I know its weird but my car for example will give me the asc off light with a traction symbol and sometimes cut the fuel then gives me those same codes. From reading many other threads it seems to be the same similar problems. When in truth it seems no one really has a for sure answer on what it could be other than a MAF and tuning problem. Really pisses me off. For me it usually happens at 80% throttle at different mph (usually the highs) and 37 or below. Doesnt happen so much at 40 or above but it does stilll happen.

Last edited by Yearlongstorm; Dec 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

I dont think these two issues are related other then they are induced in part or whole by cold temp/precipitation.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SupremeX
I can't even imagine anything that cold. More power to you!
And I work in the oil industry outside in this crap. Its not too fun right now. -38 tomorrow for night shift and -36 today.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by solipsism
And I work in the oil industry outside in this crap. Its not too fun right now. -38 tomorrow for night shift and -36 today.
You work up in Fort Mac? If so I do too . Ya my car has the same problem it must be the cold. I am going to take it in tomorrow and see if they can do anything.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dragon

I had a same codes, i changed the MAF . The car runs great again.

Looks like , maybe the MAF will be a tear item in the X.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

I'll throw in another vote for "Fkin Cold".

I have the same Service Required - With the picture of the front wheels turned to the right.

I just called a dealer (I'm down in Calgary for the Holidays) who told me that it wasn't a big problem, and that a lot of the Evos have been coming in with these. He said something along the lines of cold weather playing havoc with the viscosity of a lot of the fluids, then the system shutting down because it thinks something is wrong. He also mentioned it should go away after warming up everything, but I have yet to see it go away...

I don't think everyone has MAF problems, but I certainly can't say for sure.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

I remember "implausible data" was a MAF code setting after I installed some upgrades. I have a MAP interceptor (zchip) which I think the ECU sees incorrect airflow for the load on the MAP.. Still researching this.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Audi use to have the same problem. Once you have a MAF related code, the traction control comes up.
So no news for me...
Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Mitsu never thought Calgary could be colder than Mt Fuji!

Later, Ken

Quick Reply: S-AWC shut off/trouble