Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing's EVO X, turbo upgrade/clutch upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mojito
I have a Cusco Twin clutch (which is the same as Exedy) and I can confirm that it does not smell like the stocker did. The pedal felt very tight at first, but now after the clutch run in it feels almost like stock. Aftrer about 1000 miles with the new clutch (with a lot of stop-and-go traffic) the cylinder is still alive.
Good to know. BTW, how is the pedal travel/engagement point now? I only ask because the clutch master cylinder in the X doesn't allow for adjustment, and some people have complained that after upgrading their clutches, the engagement point was way high and they couldn't do anything about it. David, what about the exedy twin on your X? How is the engagement point?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The engagement point on the new clutch is actully much sooner than stock. Stock was grabbing too late to my taste. This one grabs way earlier. First time I tried, it took 3 attempts to start the car Then I heard rattling noise at the moment of engagement, then tehre was vibration with griding noise, but now everything is smooth, but you'll have to get used to earlier engagement. All this relates to Cusco clutch, I don't know if Exedy twin wll behave similar.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
This particular turbo is ready now actually.

The turbo is rated at 52 lb/min, 520 hp.

Yes, I have plans to run the Garrett 3076 as soon as it shows up.
As for the 3076, it is a turd. I have dyno'd them, used our kits with them and other kits have come through. The turbo is a waste of effort and time. There are SO many better choices that choosing that turbo is just not good research. It's not even my opinion, it is absolute fact.

....If I was choosing a turbo for my own car and had to choose between a 3071 and a 3076, I'd probably choose the 3071, if those were my only two choices.

It is my opinion that it is a turd. If you'd like a 3076 I'll gladly sell one to you to match to your combination of parts that you bought somewhere else or from Ebay even. For our loyal customers I'll sell you something that will kick the 3076 butt

Please, as always, buy what you feel is best for your combination, it's your money after all.
?

I was under the impression turd's were un-polishable...

Why the sudden change of heart.

Scorke

Last edited by scorke; Dec 31, 2008 at 01:38 AM. Reason: too many pts...
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mojito
The engagement point on the new clutch is actully much sooner than stock. Stock was grabbing too late to my taste. This one grabs way earlier. First time I tried, it took 3 attempts to start the car Then I heard rattling noise at the moment of engagement, then tehre was vibration with griding noise, but now everything is smooth, but you'll have to get used to earlier engagement. All this relates to Cusco clutch, I don't know if Exedy twin wll behave similar.
Thank you, glad to hear a more detail explanation of this clutch.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The clutch engagement is excellent and very smooth. The engagement point is adjustable, so mine is about 2 inches off floor. It's moved slightly, feels like anyway, since I've done a 100 dyno runs on it and drove it. Probably will adjust it to grab a little lower.

scorke, why do you try to constantly be a PITA? If anyone else asked me something I'd be glad to acknowlege them, for you though, you aren't worth my time.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Just wondering what sparked the change of heart.

Scorke
Old Jan 1, 2009, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Hey dave, how is your clutch pedal adjustable? Did you upgrade the master cylinder? I could be wrong (it's happened a few times before ), but isn't the MC what allows adjustability? If there is another way, please let me know. Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

We did not change any of the clutch components other than the clutch. There is an adjustment under the dash for the clutch.

My change of heart is Garrett is making a 3076 in a twin scroll stock housing for the EVO X and I have been contacted to see if I would test it. I accepted the offer. Is that OK? If you also go do some more searching of things that I have said you will find that I tested an HTA3076 that FP built that did very good on the dyno. Do complete searches when you search.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

My god, I think you might be the only one who is aware of the fact that there is a clutch pedal adjustment on the X. Everyone has been complaining about it not having one since day one, and for whatever reason, no one seems to have been able to find it. I'm glad that there is one, as I found it very strange that a manual tranny car wouldn't have an adjustable clutch pedal. Where exactly is this mechanism for adjustment, and if it's not too much of a pain in the ***, could you take a pic where we can see how to do it? Thanks man.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, I didn't know you could adjust the engagement point either. Mind you, I didn't even bother after reading that it couldn't be. Or may be my installer adjusted it for me to grab earlier since I complained about late engagement.
+1 for pics where it is adusted.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great resluts on the X so far Dave! Also whats cams are in the car right now?

Buschur racing FTW!
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

OK, I was incorrect on the clutch. I came in this morning and asked Steve about the clutch adjustment. The last thing I heard from him the day they installed it was, "I just have to adjust the clutch and then you can have the car." Well he was unable to find any type of adjustment on the clutch.