Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

What is an INTAKE really worth when you are TUNED?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2008, 07:56 PM
JEP
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you AMS!!!
Old Dec 26, 2008, 08:11 PM
Account Disabled

i'd like to see this test done with a gruppe m/colt speed intake. i saw a drastic improvement when i had one on my car.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

enough.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes I can see that both AMS has a heat shield and INJEN has a corridor. Now the actual question I was imposing was where does the airflow come from now that the direct line of airflow is now deflected by the shield/corridor. Does it mean that these intake only take in the ambient air that it is surrounded by or somehow there is some direct outside air path to cone of the intake?

Example of airflow drawn on MSpaint.

My example kinda shows that stock has directed airflow straight into the suction pipe. While INJEN looks to be completely directed away from the entrance of the intake. And AMS has some direct airflow into the intake due to the 45 degree bend.

Last edited by raytrix; Dec 26, 2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

i love ams there parts r sick
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:04 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raytrix
Yes I can see that both AMS has a heat shield and INJEN has a corridor. Now the actual question I was imposing was where does the airflow come from now that the direct line of airflow is now deflected by the shield/corridor. Does it mean that these intake only take in the ambient air that it is surrounded by or somehow there is some direct outside air path to cone of the intake?

Example of airflow drawn on MSpaint.

My example kinda shows that stock has directed airflow straight into the suction pipe. While INJEN looks to be completely directed away from the entrance of the intake. And AMS has some direct airflow into the intake due to the 45 degree bend.
I don't have the slightest idea what your drawing represents
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
In the picture comparing the stock intake pipe and the AEM, you can see the corrugations on the stock pipe which the AEM does not have. Each 'rib' creates additional flow resistance and turbulence.

While you won't see HUGE gains going to the smooth pipe, it will still be significant; maybe on par with removing the filter.

If a smooth pipe wasn't a significant change from a 'rough' pipe, there would be no point in extrude honing/porting exhaust manifolds, heads, etc.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Wow title is totally misleading. Are you trying brainwash people into buying your chip?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
Wow title is totally misleading. Are you trying brainwash people into buying your chip?
It has nothing to do with his chip.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

I think I read somewhere in this test that the aftermarket intake made +8whp and +12whp in some parts of the powerband.

In this case, I'm happy I went with the AMS.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

No one's mentioned the simple fact that most the aftermarket ones just look better! Likewise, when removing the factory filter, and seeing a 8-10whp across the board increase in power, that seems to justify looking at an aftermarket intake that flows more freely and is tuned for it. Not to mention, intakes play a big role in spool up time, look at the with and without factory filter...an aftermarket intake could allow the best of both worlds, faster spool up time and filtration.

Last edited by Spookpur; Dec 27, 2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tomatoEVO
i'd like to see this test done with a gruppe m/colt speed intake. i saw a drastic improvement when i had one on my car.
what type of drastic improvement are you speaking of? do you have any dyno sheets to show the gains?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
"Our summary is that the stock intake/filter is well designed from Mitsubishi and there is not a great restriction in the intake to start with. When you are searching for power and performance gains from an intake system that actually flows better and you allow TUNING to take care of AFR, TIMING and BOOST and the intake to flow the air which it is its job to do, then the gains from an intake system based on the notion that one FLOWS better than the stock intake are very low, but notable."

how many times i said this, if you still have a stock turbo...You can buy something more WHP proven stuff then the whole intake set up. SOme intake price is over the Cam's price. And that is what i would buy instead the Intake system. That couple $100 more /If/ is well worth it after tune. And gain much more WHP and WTQ. So it is a better investment then an Intake system.

This is my opinion.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 27, 2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm confused by one thing that never was addressed in this thread; TTP talks about how drop ins and intakes with the stock sized maf housing create small amounts of power because they improve flow, but don't trick the ecu into running a lower load cell like an intake with an oversized maf, which is true. But, my question is this: with hotwire mafs like the one used in the X, why is it that a drop in or an intake that doesn't change the maf housing diameter still leans out the A/F mixture?

I mean, with the maf housing being unchanged, the velocity over the maf will be in correct balance to the volume of air entering the system, so why doesn't the ecu compensate and dump more fuel in to maintain the stock A/F ratio? I mean, drop-ins make 10 to 15whp on most dynos, and they ALL show a leaner A/F ratio by about .5 points across the board (which of course is a good thing for us on the crappy stock tune). What is also interesting to me is the fact that many tests have confirmed that once tuned and the A/F ratios are properly dialed in, an intake adds zero power unless the car is at extreme power levels from massive turbos that require extra large intake pipe diameters.

If that's the case, then it means that intakes and drop-ins don't actually increase the amount of air that's entering the system and only reduce restriction. Either that or there is an increase of air entering the engine, but the turbo/engine can't make use of it until power levels reach high enough levels to require oversized intake piping diameters. Any insight into this? I know that I can't be the only one who is aware of this and susbsequently confused.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Dec 27, 2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

+1

Originally Posted by tomatoevo
i'd like to see this test done with a gruppe m/colt speed intake. I saw a drastic improvement when i had one on my car.

Quick Reply: What is an INTAKE really worth when you are TUNED?