Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

drop in filter vs Cone

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drop in filter vs Cone

Well since the stock filter is somewhat restrictive, i would like to replace it in hopes of freeing up some BOV sound and helping the engine run a bit smoother. (i was told some BOV sound could be gained, Correct me if im wrong?)
So what can i expect from the two? My main focus here is BOV sound.
I was looking at the K&N and works drop in filter. Works showed great gains for a filter, but it seems a bit high for just a filter. It is also a bit $$$$

Or the other route, scrap the drop in filter and throw a cone filter on there.
What do you guys think?

Last edited by Ltdanish07; Jan 12, 2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

you pay for what you get, K&N seemed to worked great. drop in filters arent that bad, but they are still somewhat restrictive. as for BoV sound, all you have to do is take off the top part of the airbox and you'll hear more sound from what i believe. but then you'd also be letting in hot air from the engine in, but i guess in the case with a cone filter thats unavoidable as well..

cone filter= higher flow
Old Jan 12, 2009, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NYC4g63IX
you pay for what you get, K&N seemed to worked great. drop in filters arent that bad, but they are still somewhat restrictive. as for BoV sound, all you have to do is take off the top part of the airbox and you'll hear more sound from what i believe. but then you'd also be letting in hot air from the engine in, but i guess in the case with a cone filter thats unavoidable as well..

cone filter= higher flow
There is no top part on the X... Front ramp (front) Filter (Middle) Back housing that connects with MAP Sen (Back)

Probably the safer and more airflow is the K&N drop in, but I doubt that it will get the sound you want...
That being said cone is the safe way to do it then... Get the K&N cone <~ a bit pricey, but it's pay to play... Good luck on some people's spinning bolt of death... I had one but my friend's ride didn't have this issue...
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

With the cone, i will need to fab something up correct? I wont be able to take the box out and just bolt on? Maybe ill try to config some sort of heat shield. I dont know if the cone will cause warranty issues at the dealership tho.
Thanks guys
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:08 PM

for what its worth, i did a cone filter to hold me over until i buy a full intake. as ghetto as it is, i went to auto zone, bought a cone filter, took of the stock air box, bolted the filter on as snug as possible and left the front half of the air box in tack to act as a funnel for air and a mini heat shield. you can definitely hear the turbo spooling now along with the bov shwoosh.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Ok awesome, ill def check into that
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by storm_trooper
for what its worth, i did a cone filter to hold me over until i buy a full intake. as ghetto as it is, i went to auto zone, bought a cone filter, took of the stock air box, bolted the filter on as snug as possible and left the front half of the air box in tack to act as a funnel for air and a mini heat shield. you can definitely hear the turbo spooling now along with the bov shwoosh.

He nailed it. This is def. the way to go for what you are looking for.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Buschur has a cone filter kit that fits onto the stock MAF tube. He might sell it alone without the inlet tube.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Ok cool. Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

I am a brand new UR intake up for sale which utilizes the cone filter, PM me if interested.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:49 PM

drop in!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:23 AM

he refers to bov, i just wanted to be sure, do our cars come with bov or bypass valve?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 02:02 PM

K&N Drop in Filter

my drop in filter just got here today and, flew to the auto store all excited picked it up came home and well... dropped it in!! felt the difference right away, so i took a quick drive to my buddies pad and when i drove away he called me and said that when i passed by his house he saw white smoke coming out of my exhaust and that it left a rotten smell in the air like sulfer???? so now i'm freaking out.. WHATS UP WITH THE WHITE SMOKE PRETTY SURE ITS NOT GOOD?????????any1
Old Jan 27, 2009, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jls0711
my drop in filter just got here today and, flew to the auto store all excited picked it up came home and well... dropped it in!! felt the difference right away, so i took a quick drive to my buddies pad and when i drove away he called me and said that when i passed by his house he saw white smoke coming out of my exhaust and that it left a rotten smell in the air like sulfer???? so now i'm freaking out.. WHATS UP WITH THE WHITE SMOKE PRETTY SURE ITS NOT GOOD?????????any1
all our cars smoke. it's normal!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^White smoke, however, is not normal.

Quick Reply: drop in filter vs Cone